Search the forum,

Discuss Old skool spanner found today in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul - PDS

Gas Engineer
found this little beaut under an old cast iron bath today! It's got no play in it atall I'm made up! Anyone know the original manufacturer? Can't see any markings or anything.

gonna polish it up and put it back into service - I'm probably more excited than I should be ha! image.jpg

Aw great find mate. Would be great if you could bring it out of retirement.

She's soaking in some as as we speak lads, this is how I spend Friday nights now haha! Would love to know how old it is

Found this on top of a cast iron bath yesterday. I am told it is a Mira 3. I'd never seen one before. It weighed a tonne.

IMG_0447.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my tradesmen had a spanner like that which he used all the time. He would have bought it in the 50's or maybe been given it so it may be older.

Have something similar in the shed belonged to my Dad proberbly just as rusty ....regards Turnpin:punk:

It's a King Dick and I don't know how anyone can be a plumber/heating engineer without one.

What do you use to brace rad valves with when you undo/do them up if not a king dick?

That certainly looks like a King Dick to me but it might also be a Footprint tool. I seem to remember having one like it in the 80's before my kit was stolen from my van.

I found a set of Bahco adjustables at a reclamation yard. Beautiful they were, properly old, engineered to have no play even after god knows how long, probably 50 years from the look of them. Reminded me of the sort of thing my grandad had in his workshop. Really loved using them then lost them working on the van outside the house. Obviously wasn't meant to be....

Paul it's time for the antique roadshow.
A plumber in Dublin a while ago found €120k behind a bath panel. He only handed it it cos the house had previously been owned by a dodgy developer. Got his house repo'd, obviously forgot about the money. Ye can imagine how many hiding spots he had if he left that behind.

ive got a king dick like that, mines alittle smaller tho. :tounge_smile:

I had one in my first tool kit in the mid 80's made by footprint, also had the footprint adjustable pipe grips which were great for giving yourself black mans pinches on your fingers

Can I say that these days? sorry if I can't

Last edited:
It's a King Dick and I don't know how anyone can be a plumber/heating engineer without one.

What do you use to brace rad valves with when you undo/do them up if not a king dick?

I use small stillsons for that. But I do have an old wrench similar to the king dick. Seldom makes itout of the box tho

That looks familiar, I had to make one of those as part of my engineering apprenticeship when I left school, bench work and turning! Took it home to show my dad (also an engineer), he dug about in the shed and found one identical he made as an apprentice! He told me they copied the King Dick adjustable!
Whether it's genuine KD or home made, it would have been someone's pride and joy.......great find!

Paul it's time for the antique roadshow.
A plumber in Dublin a while ago found €120k behind a bath panel. He only handed it it cos the house had previously been owned by a dodgy developer. Got his house repo'd, obviously forgot about the money. Ye can imagine how many hiding spots he had if he left that behind.

We have threads over the other side about finding things in attics and under boards, I never ever find anything but old *** packets and beer cans, and it really annoys me.

Sod handing in that much if it was a repossessed house though, would be straight in a rubble sack and straight in the van.

You trying to tell me there's a sparks out there with a rubble sack? Thought you guys just left all your mess and off cuts on the floor....

You trying to tell me there's a sparks out there with a rubble sack? Thought you guys just left all your mess and off cuts on the floor....

Since moving from building sites and into housing association voids, I've actually become rather tidy, thank you very much! :)

Obviously most of the basic insulation goes on the floor, but there's too many small bits to clear up and we like to keep others busy :)

The old tools are better made in my opinion. My toolbag contains many old tools which belonged to my Dad,( he's been dead 20 years) and I pick them in preference to the newer ones nearly every time.

I've got a smaller version which I bought on Doncaster market 45 years ago from an army surplus stall. It was packed in greasy paper in a WD box and had a couple of extra bits bolted to the jaws so it could work on castellated ring nuts. Believe it or not, it is engraved Rolls Royce.

I've got a smaller version which I bought on Doncaster market 45 years ago from an army surplus stall. It was packed in greasy paper in a WD box and had a couple of extra bits bolted to the jaws so it could work on castellated ring nuts. Believe it or not, it is engraved Rolls Royce.

We need a picture to prove it ;p

Just had a rummage in my garage tool box but I think I've left it on my (canal) boat so I'll pick it up next time I go down there.
Might be up to a week.

Just had a rummage in my garage tool box but I think I've left it on my £MILLION YACHT so I'll pick it up next time I go down there.
Might be up to a week.

Fixed your quote for you Andy. No ... please don't thank me... it was my pleasure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old skool spanner found today in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock