Search the forum,

Discuss Old Size Radiator Bleed Key in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
The ones you get in a packet from B+Q work fine on all modern rads. They are too big for the bleed screws of old domestic rads. I've been told the "clock type" might work. Or failing that you can buy a set of actual clock keys (in, say, 5 differents sizes) and pick the one closest. Any definitive answer?

Thanks

(i'm only asking because up until now i just used my grips on old ones but there's this one which has been screwed so tight not enough sticks out to get a grip on)

any bleed key i have ever bought apart from the brass clocktype has been pants and snapped on me, but never had an issue with bleeding rads with it, and recommend it to all my customers as any other type of key in my opinion is a waste of money

Never had a problem not getting at one with my 'clock' key, but I don't let the customers have one, they normally get the smaller one with the little brass dowel. Means they can't do them up as tight so don't snap the ends off.

good point, will just have to remind them not to over do it from now on lol, but some of the cheaper keys i got have snapped on me first time when trying to bleed radiators which are a bit stiff.

so are you saying the size of the square bleed screw doesn't vary between new rads and old rads? Maybe my bleed key has just gotten a bit baggy in the middle. Happens to us all in the end.

always been the same,size keys get worn replaced mine recently most of the undersized vents are due to idiots using grips on them

I have a little socket set for braying on when somebody has 'rounded' them off.

my engineer says the silver bleed keys, are slightly tighter than the brass gold ones. Dont know if hes chatting lies though :)

crappy keys get worn out very easy, maybe thats what has happened, my clock type one is the best one ive had and has lasted the longest

i like the rad manufacturer that includes plastic bleed keys in the fitting packs whats that about?

my engineer says the silver bleed keys, are slightly tighter than the brass gold ones. Dont know if hes chatting lies though :)
Your engineer is correct, they are a bit tighter,( at least, some are ), as are the ones on a thin bar. Just noticed: the thin bar type are the ones Gas man has pointed to- called rear bleed keys.

Last edited:
On certain clock types, it helps to grind down the face on a bench grinder.

For some reason the manufacturers splay the opening on each side. By grinding it down you are left with a simple square hole in the end. My younger brother taught me this, and I now do it to batches of keys as I lose them so often.

I keep my clock type rad key on my car key ring. That way I always have it to hand and if I lose it I know I'm stuffed for getting home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old Size Radiator Bleed Key in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock