Search the forum,

Discuss Old Single Pipe heating system problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have recently had to cap 3 radiators in a single pipe system and since then the system has stopped working. The boiler works and the pump seems to turn on but water doesnt seem to circulate. I thought maybe capping the radiators had broken the system loop but dont think this is the case anymore. Anyother ideas? This is only temporary while other work is being done before a change the system but some heat would be nice right now

I have recently had to cap 3 radiators in a single pipe system and since then the system has stopped working. The boiler works and the pump seems to turn on but water doesnt seem to circulate. I thought maybe capping the radiators had broken the system loop but dont think this is the case anymore. Anyother ideas? This is only temporary while other work is being done before a change the system but some heat would be nice right now
Capping rads won't stop the system working. Maybe it is air locked?

It shouldn’t stop working unless the one pipe system was literally routed through each radiator to the next.
Or you have an airlock caused when you drained system?

Drill and retap a new one.

Shouldn't stop it running.

Get hose onto drain off and back fill with mains cold. Just don't go crazy and make sure overflow on header tank all secure to outside.

The motor on the pump may be spinning but the spindle may not be turning the impeller giving the illusion of a working pump. As has already been suggested it may be air in the pump too. You can usually take out the slotted screw on the front of the pump to bleed air. On some pumps, older ones usually, you can also see the impeller under that bleed screw. Again, most impellers will have a slotted screw in the centre, with the system calling for heat you can give this impeller screw a quick twist with a screwdriver to get it going again if stuck. A small quantity of water will escape but nothing that couldn't be handled by a bucket or other container to catch the water.

If this works it might get your heating going again but the pump would want replacing sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Reply to Old Single Pipe heating system problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock