Search the forum,

Discuss old blue plastic 15mm pipe with glued joints? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
IMG_3612.JPG
Hi all,
My customer would like new kitchen taps. The hot is piped in copper.
But the cold is piped in an old, blue plastic 15mm pipe with glued joints.
A previous plumber has warned her the pipe is old, cheap and brittle, with a high chance of cracking and leaking. To change the tap, he'd need to ripe out the old plastic and re-run copper pipe. He knows the estate and has seen it before.
It seems a little drastic, but if the pipe really is so nasty, then best err on the side of caution.
Ideally, I'd cut into this pipe, and put an isolation valve and then a flexi up to the tap. But without knowing what type of pipe this is, what fittings could I use?
Or best just replace the lot? (which is what I'm thinking to do).
Advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks everyone.
Jennie.

Yep it's not worth it new run / get rid of it

You can't put a compression joint on it needs to be glued fittings that take 24hours to dry

Could be the old Poly-York pipe used when the copper shortage was on, best to repipe the whole house , once you start messing around with it you will have nothing but problems

There was several makes of this ranging from the lat 60's through to the late 80's.
They all suffered ultraviolet degradation. You need to get rid of it there is no easy way out.

A Phil mac universal coupling as a temporary fix?
I expect you would need an insert for the plastic pipe though

Dont bother with trying to get around the fact that this should be removed and replaced.
Using phil mac fittings would at best be temporary. At this age these fittings can burst even at normal temperatures especially if you have a water meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to old blue plastic 15mm pipe with glued joints? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock