Search the forum,

Discuss Olci in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Varley

I am currently studying for my C&G 6129 plumbing certificate through OLCI. This way is probably not the best as it is very expensive but the waiting list for my local colleges was ridiculous, so I bit the bullet and signed up as I really want to become a plumber. Anybody else studying this way? So far the course has been good, however I don't think you could go self-employed once finishing this course without gaining some experience with an established plumber first, for example the course doesn't even cover shower installation which I assume must be a major part of a plumbers duties these days.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else on this forum studied this way, and if so how did you find it?

olic

Showers are easy but as you say not part of the course, I did a course with ppl in york they had some bays with showers in if you had finished in the bay you where using and had some time you could start another installation or go on to one of the showers, but remember that electric showers need a part p electrical instalation Certficate to do that course is another £1500 thats £600 +vat and another week of work or 2 weeks if you need the basic training first.
If you can get hold of 1 or 2 second hand showers (they don't need to work) put them on some plywood and plumb the pipe work in, if you whnt to hide the pipe work work from the back and drill a hole for the pipe to fit to the shower this will show you how easy they are, with being a tiler you don't need to work with a plumber just removing the bathroom suites will get you started

Thanks mate, little stupid that it's not part of the course though, don't you think? Never mind.

they only teach you the basics you have to learn the rest on the job but you learn fast when your self employed. Are you doing the water regs?

Yeah, think i'll do that and the unvented systems once I am finished this course.

unvented system courses are ok if you are thinking of doing solar

Hi

I'm looking into starting the OLCI plumbing course in manchester, it looks good and i'm keen to get started, but the cost is making me hesitate. Is it worth the money in your opinion?

Well the way I looked at it was that I wanted to train as a plumber, the waiting lists in my local colleges were ridiculous, about 5 years I think, so for me it is worth it. At the end of the day it is the qualification you need (or will need within the next few years) to be a plumber, wether you get it at college or through OLCI or other organisations, it's the same certificate at the end. Good luck mate and let us know what you decide.

Hi guys just to let you know.

The guy from OLCI come roound today and i've signed up.

Can't wait to get started.

Woo!

Hi Buckley, Obviously if the guy came around you have signed up for the full course. I signed up in August last year but started it a few weeks ago, I feel the course is for me because i did my part one c&g a few years ago in college and didnt feel they taught me very much, its what you put in, you will get out of it, good luck and keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Olci in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock