Search the forum,

Discuss olci construction training anygood? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Clanger,

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

I can see that you have some questions about our training centre. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you and answer any questions.

Please give me a call on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

One point that I would make about OLCI is that getting hold of a trainer / tutor is extremely difficult.

I have been training with then for over 6 months and attended onsite training, however when I try and get hold of a trainer it can be difficult.

Before signing up I would suggest calling the reception telling the person who answers the call that you are already a student and see how often you get hold of a trainer.

Not sure if it’s the same with other companies, would be interested on hearing other people’s feedback.

I would make sure you have a plumber if not confident to take your NVQ2 on your own.
I would make sure you have a gas safe registered engineer that will help you gain your experience with gas to complete your folder when going for your ACS as OLCI DO NOT have people to help I tok my gas training in MAY 2009 and still have not completed my gas as most engineers don't want to help due to insurance reasons, incase you take their business or they haven't got the time or patience to train you. OLCI expected you to complete 4 modules: boilers, fires, cookers and water heaters (the later now I believe incorporated into boilers) so difficult to get evidence for all, some training companies only make you do one module (boilers) and the core safety and some provide gas engineers I would go with them if I knew that now. I also paid out for NVQ3 and need an engineer for this as well due to doing Boiler and Central heating planning etc again not completed from May 2009!
Hope this helps

Remember companies can sweet talk you to sign up and give all the spin then when they got your money things are different!

Hi there and good afternoon to you all on this site!.Firstly i will introduce myself my name is Scott and i'm new to the site and from the North West area Blackpool to be a bit more precise.I have been reading some of the threads left on here by other forum members and i have found some to be of interesting reading,especially to do with OLCI.At the moment i am looking to change my current job and train to become a Plumber.Now i have been looking in to doing this for quite a considerable time now and if i am honest with myself i have come across a few uncertainties with who'm to do my training with.I have visited my local OLCI in Manchester a couple of times and the practical layout and the level of training seems to be well presented.However i just have this really annoying and niggling doubt at the back of my mind of whether i will be employable by a company after completing all the required training.Can anybody on here offer any words of advice at all?.Before i shed out 6,000.00 of my hard earned cash will it be a wise move or could it turn out to be the best move ever?.Also if you get qualified can you easily go out in to the big wide world and start getting work in for yourself?.I would really appreciate if any of you guys on this site could offer some good advice!,many thanks i will look forward to your feedback.

hi scott and welcome to the forum.i have said it before and ill say it again there are good people who come out of these places and yes you can go and get a job from the quals. its not an easy ride but its do able.i am working at the moment just make sure you put the work in.

Hi,

From my experience I have had a very negative experience with OLCI. I started the course beginning of 2011. It all went smoothly, tutor's are great their on site equipment and tools were great. However since October 2011 where I managed to lose my portfolio (upon completing the course) it has been a nightmare.

Half my fault half theirs and the result is that they never call you back, reply to your phone calls or even make an attempt to show you they're trying to make an effort to fix the issue. I have to be the one to call them and even at that point they're always on their breaks and don't call me back for another few weeks (after I've called a few times in between). 2 years later and they haven't improved. Somebody does make a promise that they're going to sort it out, it goes good for 2 weeks and it's back to the same old story after that. It's come to the point where I'm trying to find out how to make an official complaint about the way I've been treated as any other form of action doesn't seem to work.

Moral of the story: They're good solid official company that have a good set of tutors that do take the time out to teach and advise you. However anything else (including the sales team) is terrible and once they have your money they don't care about what happens to you. Any problems you may face, they will not make it better.

Hi Young Gunner,

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

A member of our Student Services team will be in touch with you today. If you have any queries after speaking to a member of our team, please don’t hesitate to contact me on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

Hear more and more bad stories about these processing plants... Education? Really? Money upfront and your high and dry

Info for anyone thinking of undertaking training with OLCI:
They have been taken over by ERR Ltd. This means that there is going to be a new system in place, and I have to say that it's about time.
I have had no end of trouble attempting to get my portfolio passed so that I can take the ACS exam.
If I went into the list of grievances with their marking procedures it would take ages. The tutors are great, very knowledgeable, and good communicators but the admin system is pathetic (I do mean the system, and not the people using it as they are all very helpful).
I used to run an art department in a secondary school and could mark 30 - 40 GCSE portfolios in one day. OLCI take at least 8 weeks to mark one portfolio with what effectively is around 2 weeks of work, why?
Oh , and another gripe (Getting it all off the chest, so to speak) the IV remarked that my gas rate calculations were wrong yet when I went to see my tutor at the training centre he couldn't find fault at all. I was also told, quite specifically, that I did not need to complete any boiler installation (It even stated this on the check sheet) yet the IV commented that I must complete 3 boiler installations in order to have my portfolio passed, again, why? If it says 0 then it doesn't mean 3!

Everybody steer clear of OLCI !!! I had the misfortune of signing up with these people and all I have had is problems, I have told them I want my money back when I was only 2 steps away from being fully qualified, that's how bad they are !!!

Due to all my ongoing and constant problems my course had expired, they knew this but still sent me off to do my portfolio with the gas safe corporation... On completion of my portfolio, I tried to contact them only to be informed that they had gone bankrupt and ERR limited had bought them out and due to my course expiring they will not be helping me when all I need is a signature from my tutor and my photos taken from college !

I have looked on their website and found 3 different phone numbers all leading to the same automated message giving out an email address...which obviously I have continued to message but not had a response.... One very angry student now seeking legal advice over this course and not for the first time !!!

My advice, save your money or find some real training !

Re: Posting

Rang KPMG administrators 020 7311 1000 . They put me onto Alana Vine who told me to call Johnathan Ex OLCI on 07532 072184. Thanks Croppie hopefully everyone in this unfortunate situation can get some joy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to olci construction training anygood? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock