Search the forum,

Discuss olci construction training anygood? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

goolok78

Hi just wanted to know if training with this company to become a plumber is actually worth it,had a look around and these seem the best although don't wanna part with 6 k and have no job at the end of it. Will i be employable with a city and guilds 6129 certificate? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated thanks

Did my 6129 with OLCI in Bristoland passed in July 2009. I went self employed(and love it), I think this is the only way at present . Good Luck

You won't be employable. Minimum NVQ2 or SVQ3 to get a job.
Only route is out on your own with little knowledge and basic skills. A bit like learning to swim by being thrown off a 10m platform:eek:

Don't know where you are situated but I did my course with N.T.P.S. training in Hyde Nr. Manchester. The course was a lot cheaper at around 4K. They are very friendly and flexible and accept payments as you go along. My son-in-law did a course a few years back with a company in London, he paid up front for a part time course. He had difficulty sometimes getting booked in for each practical module and had to wait for the next vacancy. After a year he hadn't completed all the modules and hidden in the small print it said he must pay again for each module still left. He had one left and it cost him another ÂŁ700 (believe the course was about 7K for 10 modules).

I have an OLCI course and due to a break down in a relationship I am left with it.

It is for City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate (6129); also helps prepare you for City & Guilds NVQ 2 (6089) in Plumbing.

We also got four extra courses which are - Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems, Solar Thermal, Heat Pumps and Ceramic Tiling.

I will be creating an add on Gumtree under Plumbing Course, Edinburgh. Please take a look if you are interested.

hi thanks for ur reply just wondering if u did ur nvq level 2 with olci aswell as thats what they recently told me would be included when they came round. Did u have no problems finding work to do afterwards or was there plenty? thanks

Why not look for a college that you could go to, I did my 6129 at Kingston College it took 11 months and was a lot cheaper than 6k, I’m doing the NVQ with them at the moment and, that has cost nada

Hi, I did 6129 with OLCI at Manchester. @ 43 I new I wasn't going to be employed by any one so set out on self employment route doing general plumbing and bathroom installations. Five years later and still here. I found that once self employed, through business link and associated bodies there is a certain amount of funding available for training and have been able to consolidate skills and qualifications with their help. I found that to make a go of it plumbing was only one of many skills neccessary. you need to be a good all rounder. I'm now doing my part P with OLCI but under no illussion that I'll be able to walk out of the centre kitted up and ready to go.

Would I do it again?

Absolutely.

I wouldn't hesitate to do the course again.

i retrained at NTPS in hyde and found it excellent. Have been self employed now for a year and doing very nicely. Still get plenty of help from paul, one of the owners when i get stuck, definately recommend the place.

The old addage "You only get out what you put in" springs to mind. I have recently completed my 6129, 6089 and EAL course with OLCI. It took me nearly 3 years to complete due to my current job (hardly fastrack I know) but the flexibility of training was what I required. The only complaint that I had was from the admin support which at times was particularly poor although I must admit I have seen an improvement in recent months.
Any form of distance learning is going to be difficult and requires you to be self disciplined. Don't expect to turn up for exams having skimmed over the books and pass. Failing to prepare... Prepare to fail. That said there is more than enough support available, but you need to ask for it. If you find yourself struggling to understand the material there are plenty of other reference books available via amazon etc that may help (I used the JTL books which were great).
I cannot speak highly enough of the training centres. I conducted my package at the Birmingham Centre and the staff there were really helpful and are still on hand now if I need any advice. Ultimately it is down to you as the learner to maximise your time at the centre.
After the technical certificate is achieved is where most students hit a brick wall. There are many adverts offering work placements but in reality unless you are in Central London you will not get one. This is not purely an OLCI problem every training company out there will offer you the world (its their sales pitch). However, if you are committed to changing your career (if your considering spending over 5k I would suggest you are) then you really need to start advertising yourself to the market. Nobody is going to give you something for nothing. Forget any possibility of getting paid to conduct work experience for your NVQ, it will not happen. I must have written to over 100 companies requesting assistance, I got 5 responses and only one workable offer. Top tip always finish your letter with a comment that you will contact them in the near future to discuss any opportunities; this may cause a handful of people not to put your letter straight into the shredder! I then undertook work experience whilst I was on leave. It is possible to rush through NVQ assessments but your knowledge and experience will be extremely limited and I doubt very much that you will be ready to go it alone. Get as much experience as you can from people in the trade, this where you will learn the skills. Even though I've completed my NVQ I am still helping out a company for free as the expeience is priceless.
Apologies for this being a bit long winded but I think OLCI have come in for some unwarranted critisism of late (Don't get me wrong I'd be thge first to say if I thought they were not up to the mark). In sum OLCI can give you the knowledge however, it is down to you to gain the experience. Don't expect everything to be done for you.

I also have an olci course available if anone is interested 6129 technical certificate, 6089 nvq level 2 training and certificate ,solar ,heat pump, and unvented training and certificates .Course available due to change in personal circumstances

cheers for your time i still havn't signed up to anyone yet and am now gonna wait till january coz the quals are changing and they are taking lead work out of the course which is mainly a job for roofers now according to someone on here anyway thanks again.

So long as you go into it knowing that you will get a basic understanding, but that the real knowledge will come after you finish the course, the go for it. I went with OLCI last year ( at the ripe old age of 42) and have been building on that basic knowledge ever since.

One point I would make - they often try to tempt you in by offering free courses etc. Make sure you negotiate hard and get the best you can.. They still 'owe' me 2 courses!

Hi just wanted to know if training with this company to become a plumber is actually worth it,had a look around and these seem the best although don't wanna part with 6 k and have no job at the end of it. Will i be employable with a city and guilds 6129 certificate? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated thanks

Having read a lot of posts on here I thought I would add my experiences, desperate to get a trade I tried for months to get a job as a plumbers mate with no luck, got involved with a company called btsc who happily took over 9 grand and promised me a guaranteed job, guaranteed everything, sent me a official letter stating this so I handed over my cash! Then they went bust along with my cash and my cast iron job guarantee …………… then started trading as a different company form the same premises 2 weeks later!

Spoke to olci who guaranteed me absolutely nothing apart from the 6129 and the nvq (if I had the jobs to show the nvq guy), 5 month’s on I have nearly completed the 6129, have a job with a plumbing company (due to the fact I know had some training) and am looking forward to getting my full papers.

Moral of the story, with olci I KNEW that all they would be able to give me was the training the rest was up to me , I found a company that would employ me, I found the jobs to build my on site book, etc etc.

olci are not perfect, but generally (apart from a few paperwork delays) the workshops are spot on the trainers are great.

I got what I paid for, no more no less with olci, and without the training I would still be digging holes for rubbish wages and no future.

So whoever you look at for training remember its all about what you do with it, so many people bleating about promised this promised that, if any of the companies had guaranteed work they would set themselves up as 24 plumbing companies!!!!!

9k and you didnt get anything!!!
what happened with the new company? same place did they have the same staff, was there a name change, didnt they offer you the training?

Just been contacted by OLCI with regards to a NVQ 2 C&G 6089
Finished my tech cert 6129. Also mentioned ACS gas training any views or advice appreciated.

Is this the best way to go as i want the best training rather than doing it as soon as possible

Please advice!!

Jamie,

Unless you have years of engineering experience you really need to get some work with a GSE as gas is a different kettle of fish compared to the wet stuff. Then again, even with year of engineering experience you need to get some work on actual gas, in the field. Training centres cannot replace it, although with good training you do stand in a much better stead.

Regards

in some ways its easier to train someone on gas in a centre than it is plumbing as the main safety aspects can be covered along with numerous types of appliances

as fuzzy said i would try and speak to them again, they have always been pretty good with talking with me and helped me out when i've needed it.

Just started with OLCI and looking to go it alone once qualified. I have thus far been impressed with their facilities and flexibility ( I am trying to qualify in the minimum time I can) - I'm enjoying the course and looking forward to learning everything I can.

I am currently doing my Gas with OLCI manchester. Started it about a year and half ago. So far it has cost me ÂŁ3500. They sent me out a huge folder to read through, Everything from Letby test to Flues. I read through this then booked onto my 2 weeks intensive training in the training center which i must admit was good and i thought i learned alot. After the 2 weeks had finished i had to build a portfolio which consisted off write ups of jobs/photos and all that lot but this has stopped me dead in my tracks as i cant find a gas engineer to help anywhere. Not got long left either. Does anyone know of any gas engineers based round manchester that want any unpaid work. I am a quilified plumber and have done this job for about 8 years. OLCI are alright but getting your portfolio done is a b*tch.

Hi Hobo128,

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

I can see you are looking for work with a Gas Engineer. You can contact our job placement advisor who may be able to assist you. Although we cannot guarentee work, we will do what we can to help you.

Please call us on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

Hello everybody
I am currently working towards C&G 6129 BasicPlumbing Studies Level 2. I want to start C&G 6129 Domestic PlumbingStudies Level 3 with OCIA Construction, Manchester.
I have a couple of questions to ask?
· How much money does it cost to achieve 6129domestic plumbing studies level 3?
· How long does it take to achieve 6129domestic plumbing studies level 3?
· Does OCIA Construction have their own GasSafe registered plumbers, and does it cost money to train to gain the NVQ Level2 & 3 plus independent assessments e.g. ACS Gas, Water Regulations 1999?
Thank you J

Hi Mohammed786,

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

I can see you have some questions about our Plumbing courses. I would be more than happy to discuss this further with you and any other questions that you may have.

Please give us a call on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

I am at the opposite end of the OLCI process. I received my plumbing NVQ2 certificate in the post this morning!! Most of what they offered has been excellent Their training has been excellent, although their head-office support and guidance has been a bit woolly at times. Push them for what you want, and you will get it. Yes you are employable, at any time, if you can find someone to take you on. I have been plumbing and fitting bathrooms for over 4 years, first with someone else, and then self-employed for nearly 3 years. You can do it, .. if you want to!! Good luck!

One point that I would make about OLCI is that getting hold of a trainer / tutor is extremely difficult.

I have been training with then for over 6 months and attended onsite training, however when I try and get hold of a trainer it can be difficult.

Before signing up I would suggest calling the reception telling the person who answers the call that you are already a student and see how often you get hold of a trainer.

Not sure if it’s the same with other companies, would be interested on hearing other people’s feedback.

Hi 81ll,

Alana here from OLCI Contruction Training.

I can see that you needed to speak with one of our tutors. I would be more than happy to discuss this further with you and put you in touch with the relevant person.

Please give me a call on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to olci construction training anygood? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock