Search the forum,

Discuss Oil safe? Should there be a scheme similar to gas safe for oil techs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Whl4852

Well the question says it all really? What does everybody think? Should oftec be the sole governing body? Would make it easier for me certainly. A plumber near me tells me he doesn't even bother with oftec, that's all well and good, but what happens when it all goes wrong? Just wanted some feedback from you guys?

What's it gonna take to change things? Think oil guys need to stick together and push them

Same as always, not enough money to be made from having one or not costing those with the power enough not having one.

Well I think it's crazy, was watching a guy installing an oil tank last week. Was single skinned up against te house, he said he would even bother with oftec. Ok that's ll well an good, but what would happen if it split, insurance and environment wise? Oftec don't have any enforcement whatsoever.

Strict regulation is a mixed blessing. If Oil was regulated in the same rigorous way as Gas then there would still be cowboys who didn't bother and the genuine installers would be paying a premium in fees to pay for membership. With gas most of the public wouldn't touch it and the message has been hammered home for decades. It will be an uphill struggle.

I'd always assumed that oil was regulated in the same way as gas!!

My knowledge of oil is limited & don't have much call for it near me so I've never really looked too much in to it!

In my opinion it should be regulated. Surely it is as volatile as gas if it is incorrectly installed?!

I'd always assumed that oil was regulated in the same way as gas!!

My knowledge of oil is limited & don't have much call for it near me so I've never really looked too much in to it!

In my opinion it should be regulated. Surely it is as volatile as gas if it is incorrectly installed?!

not to mention the enviromental impact, ever seen 1000ltrs of kerosene on a lawn :nono:
nothing will grow there for a thousand years

Strict regulation is a mixed blessing. If Oil was regulated in the same rigorous way as Gas then there would still be cowboys who didn't bother and the genuine installers would be paying a premium in fees to pay for membership. With gas most of the public wouldn't touch it and the message has been hammered home for decades. It will be an uphill struggle.

We do pay a premium to the chocolate fire gaurd brigade. Had it out with oftec and they couldn't give a monkeys about non registered operatives. They are only in existence to police their members.

not to mention the enviromental impact, ever seen 1000ltrs of kerosene on a lawn :nono:
nothing will grow there for a thousand years

Exactly, that's what I was thinking.

Relatives of mine have oil & when you walk in the back yard you can always get a whiff of it in the air! It's always worried me the fact you can smell it. There's no leak or escape or whatever the technical terminology is but still worries me!

Exactly, that's what I was thinking.

Relatives of mine have oil & when you walk in the back yard you can always get a whiff of it in the air! It's always worried me the fact you can smell it. There's no leak or escape or whatever the technical terminology is but still worries me!

It'll be the vent off the tank.

Oh I see, so it's actually a good thing it can be smelt then!

Otherwise I guess it would go..... boom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 143
even after having a tank removed it still lingers in the air, my van stinks of it.

get a petition going send it round here then round facebook then send it to oftec ! surely its in there best interest to be the gas safe of oil ? make more money ?

I think oftec registration should be mandatory for anyone working with oil although its not so volatile as gas its still potentially highly dangerous I mean co is co no matter what the source and no less poisonous! Iv been told unoffically that its not mandatory because not enough people have died because of oil appliances!!

the only thing that will bring them round to introducing new rules is when they find a family of 12 sat in their lounge one xmas all killed thro co poisoning fm an oil burner, its why gas safe/corgi came about, to many stiffs.

Regards the smell of kerosine, love it, it means the bank account has been rejuvinated again and secretly oil services are more profitable than gas as they take longer so you do less so fixed costs are less, ONCE youve bought all the kit and spares!!!!!!!

I think oftec registration should be mandatory for anyone working with oil although its not so volatile as gas its still potentially highly dangerous I mean co is co no matter what the source and no less poisonous! Iv been told unoffically that its not mandatory because not enough people have died because of oil appliances!![/QUOTE

if you were to look at gov paperwork it would be there, not enough deaths to warrant changes. same reason the public can go out and buy gas related products, not enough dead yet to warrant upseting the massive retail vote fm b& q etc. Once a member of the public manages to create the gas equivalent of dunblaine or Hungerford you watch the rules change again

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad this subject has been raised. After years of using an OFTEC registered engineer to commission by installs (totally legal), I decided to finally get registered last year so I could keep that money myself.

I've found OFTEC to a pain in the backside... for new businesses to get registered we now need to undertake a business audit, (it's none of their business how I run mine) they force you to buy a work warranty insurance (through them for just over ÂŁ50) and they force you to buy paper work (ÂŁ150 worth of books, and loads of pads) If you don't have these they send you a 'non conformity' letter.

Its just jobs for the boys, and squeezing the conscientious installers who want to be seen as registered. Squeezing them for every penny they can get away with and in return policing their members (as someone else said) and letting the cowboys do whatever they want. I'll keep registered for 5 years, and then not both requalifying.
I personally hate the smell of kerosene!!

how much in total it cost you danny if you dont mind me asking training and all ?

Glad I raised this subject, has made for interesting reading...where I live it's all oil!

how much in total it cost you danny if you dont mind me asking training and all ?

Of the top of my head, about ÂŁ700 training, plus ÂŁ150.00 books, plus I think about ÂŁ400 for initial registration, plus the ÂŁ50.00 'warranty insurance' then there was an increase in my public liability insurance to cover the even of a large oil spill, and of course the time taken off work.

Oh and about ÂŁ60.00 in pads and labels (for commisioning, installing tanks etc).

I got qualified for tank installs too. Anyway, I am on a bit of a rant. I think I'll go crack a beer open and chill. Given myself tomorrow off!

Of the top of my head, about ÂŁ700 training, plus ÂŁ150.00 books, plus I think about ÂŁ400 for initial registration, plus the ÂŁ50.00 'warranty insurance' then there was an increase in my public liability insurance to cover the even of a large oil spill, and of course the time taken off work.

Oh and about ÂŁ60.00 in pads and labels (for commisioning, installing tanks etc).

I got qualified for tank installs too. Anyway, I am on a bit of a rant. I think I'll go crack a beer open and chill. Given myself tomorrow off!

And since you've paid all that, have you serviced/installed many?

Glad I raised this subject, has made for interesting reading...where I live it's all oil!

Mixture round me of gas,oil,lpg and electric.

I work on all of them. I grew up in a house that uses LPG, first place I rented was oil, then moved into Tunridge Wells and had gas. I'm now back out in the sticks last year I installed an electric flow boiler!!

Fitting solar panels in the summer, they're allready bought, and the cylinder is installed in the loft. I like diversity!!

And since you've paid all that, have you serviced/installed many?

Installed one since I registered and serviced one.

The majority of my work is gas. Which I'm thankful for, as I don't like smelling like a diesel pump!! :)

I mean offense to anyone, I know some people love the smell!!

Installed one since I registered and serviced one.

The majority of my work is gas. Which I'm thankful for, as I don't like smelling like a diesel pump!! :)

I mean offense to anyone, I know some people love the smell!!

I also love the smell of solvents, think I'm just easily addicted :bobby:

Mixture round me of gas,oil,lpg and electric.

I work on all of them. I grew up in a house that uses LPG, first place I rented was oil, then moved into Tunridge Wells and had gas. I'm now back out in the sticks last year I installed an electric flow boiler!!

Fitting solar panels in the summer, they're allready bought, and the cylinder is installed in the loft. I like diversity!![/

Out in the sticks? So where's that matfield ,bedgebury ,edenbridge? Just being nosey only I do a fair bit of LPG out that way.

But where do we stand as heating engineers though because if joe blogs fitted an oil boiler and blew up his cow shed he can say he didn't know better, but if I was to do it then as someone who is gas safe registered I should know the risks and know better I'd be hung out to dry! I honestly thought oil was policed so to speak in the same way gas is.

the first one to kill someone will be policed, believe me, just cos oftec isnt mandatory the BSs and building regs are, so you kill someone infringing those and your bum is theirs.

the first one to kill someone will be policed, believe me, just cos oftec isnt mandatory the BSs and building regs are, so you kill someone infringing those and your bum is theirs.

So you are saying that if I am not registered and if I mess up and someone dies then I
am in big trouble.

But! If I am registered and a few people perish because of my errors then i get a pat on
the back and get told, never mind you are one of the boys, carry on.:teeth_smile:

So you are saying that if I am not registered and if I mess up and someone dies then I
am in big trouble.

But! If I am registered and a few people perish because of my errors then i get a pat on
the back and get told, never mind you are one of the boys, carry on.:teeth_smile:

hopefully if your oftec you know what your doing so it shouldnt happen, just makes it easier for them to chew your bum if you are!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil safe? Should there be a scheme similar to gas safe for oil techs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock