Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Oil consumption meter in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. MikeJhn

MikeJhn Active Member

Any one have any experience at the cheaper end of the market, can't seem to find one below £100.00, would be nice to have a total flow over a period and current consumption, or am I asking too much?

2. MikeJhn

MikeJhn Active Member

Sixty views and no comments, does no one use a flow meter?

3. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Active Member

what's wrong with an oil tank gauge (eg watchman), or the sight gauge on the tank, or just a dipstick?

4. MikeJhn

MikeJhn Active Member

Not really accurate enough, the gaps between the marks on a gauge or dipstick are so small that the quantity of fuel left/used is really a guess or at best an estimate in the short term, I am looking for a more accurate reading between adjustments to get empirical evidence of improved performance.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  5. Mrb

Mrb New Member

6. Shower Engineer

Shower Engineer Plumber

7. MikeJhn

MikeJhn Active Member

Thanks for that both of you, the "Apollo" I already have a non working one of those, lasted about a month, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I won't get one for the budget I set myself, will keep looking.

8. MikeJhn

MikeJhn Active Member

Just had another look at my busted "Apollo" and it's not the smart digital one suggested by Mrb, anyone know if they are any good? how accurate are they?

9. DaveyHep

DaveyHep Member

Doubt you’ll get a cheap flow meter that’ll read at such low flow rates.

10. MikeJhn

MikeJhn Active Member

11. MikeJhn

MikeJhn Active Member

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. MikeJhn

MikeJhn Active Member

Well I bought one and it was a straightforward set up and fit, only time will tell how accurate it is.

• Like Like x 2
  13. OffshoreGas

OffshoreGas Top Contributor!!

I’ve got some portable ultrasonic flow meters I use/rent out.

They cost about £15k each and are accurate to about +/- 10%. I doubt you’re going to get anything useable for £100.

14. MikeJhn

MikeJhn Active Member

That's interesting, I have fitted the unit and it is reading the fuel level accurately to about +/- 10% how accurately it will read the consumption remains to be seen, but looks very good so far.

15. OffshoreGas

OffshoreGas Top Contributor!!

In an application like this level is a reasonably easy to measure, you’ve got a fluid that doesn’t move much. The level instrument is looking for a reflection from the change in fluid from oil to air. If the density of the oil changes by 20% it doesn’t matter much because it’s the boundary it’s looking for.

Your original query was on flow, that’s a whole different beast.