Search the forum,

Discuss Oil boiler won't start...... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kkelly77

......and it's freezing!!!

Ran out of heating oil a few days ago and got the tank refilled. Only tried to turn the heating on now and the boiler wouldn't fire up. This has happened before after the oil has ran out completely. Usually an airlock which I know how to sort out. Tried this to sort out the problem and the boiler did seem to fire up but checked it a few minutes later only to find it had died again. Turned up the thermostat and hit the reset on the boiler and it did fire up. However, checked it again a few minutes later and it was dead as a dodo.

Any ideas? It's getting difficult to type as my fingers freeze over :rolleyes:

K

Depending on the burner and pump you might need a 4mm allen key or a 14mm spanner and you need to access the part of the pump where an oil gauge is attached. Have a hunt in your boiler manual. Search a little on this forum for bleed and there are one or two other threads about this.

How many times have you tried firing it up after lock up? Just once? You can try around 4 times without doing damage.

Depending on the burner and pump you might need a 4mm allen key or a 14mm spanner and you need to access the part of the pump where an oil gauge is attached. Have a hunt in your boiler manual. Search a little on this forum for bleed and there are one or two other threads about this.

How many times have you tried firing it up after lock up? Just once? You can try around 4 times without doing damage.

Just tried a couple of times, only fired once though. Not responding now. It's a Warmflow 70/90 boiler. Found a manual but only reference to bleeding in the manual is a Pressure gauge port/air bleed.

That's the bit you need to undo. Use a piece of kitchen roll to catch the oil when it starts coming out then tighten it well (but not TOO tight) then try again!

That's the bit you need to undo. Use a piece of kitchen roll to catch the oil when it starts coming out then tighten it well (but not TOO tight) then try again!

Just switched on the CH there and it sounded like the boiler was trying to start again. Went for about a minute then stopped again. Have tried bleeding several times from the pressure gauge port (part 8 in the attached image), each time oil came out and no sound of any escaping air.

Attachments

• burner.jpg
    burner.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 26
The oil is there now so no need for more bleeding. (You won't hear air as there's not much pressure!)

Sounds like a different problem now. To be honest it sounds as if something different is at fault now - my guess, without knowing more and without asking for more information, is it's the solenoid but it is only a guess. Unless you're reasonably competent, I'm afraid it's time to phone your boilerman. Frustrating I know, but it will take loads of posts and messages here and lead to even more frustration!

check in line oil filter,maybe full of rubbish from the tank being run dry a few times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil boiler won't start...... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Hi, Newbie here so feel free to teach me the etiquette of this place, and apologies for the lengthy opening post. The boiler started locking out on Friday after a long period of faultless running, there was a bit of gunk on the back of the (newish) nozzle (Danfoss Nozzle 0.65 x 80 EH) ...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock