Search the forum,

Discuss oil boiler problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kenny mac

Hi
hope you can give me an idea why my danesmore 20/25 oil boiler spewed boiling hot
water into my expansion tank last night. Tried it this morning now seems to be working
and the thermostat is cutting in. also how much water should be in the expansion tank
I only have about 3 inches when the ball cock works.
thanks in advance for any replies.

Firstly, expansion tank should only have 3-4 inches water ( about where most tanks are stepped) as it is only a top up tank & not storage
& also needs to allow a little water expansion.
Perhaps your control stat failed temporarily, but depends if it boiled up or pumped up. If it pumped up it can be system design issue. If some rads or whole circuits turned off it can mean some systems can pump up easier.

thanks best I think it boiled up water was very hot should there be some additive in the expansion tank
to stop it freezing anything I can do about stat do you think I should renew it.

the tank and pipe work should be insulated to protect it if its fitted in the loft space.there are anti freeze inhibitors available, but if you managed last year without freezing you should be ok

Try running the boiler with the thermostat on a lower setting. If it's overheating then setting the stat lower should overcome the problem. If it doesn't then I'd suspect that the stat has failed all together and will need replacing for sure :)

thanks best I think it boiled up water was very hot should there be some additive in the expansion tank
to stop it freezing anything I can do about stat do you think I should renew it.
As other replies say, insulate tank & pipes & allow some heat to stop tank freezing by not insulating below it if possible. Better a roofspace with the roof insulated between rafters also, & a good idea is to close the tanks part of attic off with even just a plastic sheet & supports to keep that area warmer.
Sometimes stats fail the odd time but I would try turning it down also, then get it renewed if it's still overheating.

Is the tank metal (ie galvanized steel) or plastic? If plastic, give some thought to what's below, in case it overheats again and melts, pouring the boiling water out ...

I know that sounds a bit melodramatic, but it has happened...

thanks for all the replys think I wiil get a new stat fitted the tank is plastic do not want to
take any chances. good idea about the plastic sheeting surround
atb kenny

Make sure vent pipe is risen reasonably high enough above expansion tank also.
If plastic tanks get very hot water very often into them they may not last as Wheeto said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to oil boiler problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock