Search the forum,

Discuss Oil boiler and tank questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Goose

Dont know what boiler it is apart from its outside in a box!

Basically I want to move the tank and wondering about how close to the boiler it can be and how close to a neighbours boundary etc and how far away from the boiler?
I think the tank is a bunded one but if not would it have to be replaced?
Does the heating system have antifreeze in as the boiler is outside?
Do they have an electric pump for the oil or is it gravity fed?
If a pump where would it be?
If a pump can they be damaged by running out of oil?
What is the pipe made of? Copper, stainless, rubber or combination?
Anything else I should know or should look out for?

Thanks in advance

Agree with above, there are pages and pages of requirements for oil tank siting,stillage,distances etc before you get anywhere near the boiler. Plus it's build regs notifiable.

as the previous say, you need to get a risk assessment done, tank moved and self certified building regs ticket from a qualified oile techie to do this, why not tell the world where you are and someone on here can pm you for a quote. reading your post, you seem to be thinking of doing it yourself, dont try a nice leak could easily cost of ÂŁ30k to clear up and your insurers won't take kindly to you having tried to move an oil tank!

Last edited by a moderator:
What qualifications are necessary for doing this then?
I had a bit of a google search and a post from here a while ago said that there were no specific qualifications for doing this.Has this changed since that post? It is a few years old now.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/8053-oil-boilers-do-i-need-qualifications.html

Its for a house my mum is looking to buy. I would like to see if there are any obvious faults I can see when I visit next but cant really get people in to look at it as she does not own it yet.
Also the tank could do with moving and I will be doing the base etc as will need a digger there for other stuff and was hoping to plan out what could be done and roughly how long it will take me. However as with all these things its nice to go there with a little knowledge and hopefully spot any small problems before they are big ones!

Have you done any oil? If not leave it alone. Too much to go wrong for a few words of wisdom on an internet forum. Get an oily.

Disappointed that a gas safe engineer thinks its ok to work on oil without being competent.

Disappointed that a gas safe engineer thinks its ok to work on oil without being competent.

If the rules are that you don't need any specific qualifications to work on it then can you define competent please?

If the rules are that you don't need any specific qualifications to work on it then can you define competent please?

Not you. If you can't see that you are out of your depth then more fool you. Like I said above it needs more than a few words of wisdom on an internet forum.

Last edited:
belonging to a registered body is the main way of proving competence to his lordship when a case is brought against you. To join a registered body you need to have passed some exams, starting to make sense yet?

After renewing an oil line today after a customer decided it was okay to stick it about an inch under the driveway and explaining to him how much oftec and training is I sit here stunned that especially a GSR person can think like this. Get an oftec tech in!!!!!

Your questions show you know very little about oil. But as you are a gas engineer, I would say do any of the work you are experienced in (pipework, labouring etc) if you can find an oil guy that agrees to that and will do the rest including the head work to keep you right.

After renewing an oil line today after a customer decided it was okay to stick it about an inch under the driveway and explaining to him how much oftec and training is I sit here stunned that especially a GSR person can think like this. Get an oftec tech in!!!!!

There is no need for the sarcastic comments. If you read my posts you will see that I am trying to do the right thing and understand if there are any problems with it and and what should be done about it.

It is how it is because of the last person to do it so if I knew what was wrong, if anything, then I would know whether to use the original engineer or not.

eg
The oil line is partially exposed and seems very shallow from what I could tell at a quick look. However this was done by (I assume) an oftec guy so I can only assume its ok, however there are a few things which did not look 100% to me and was trying to understand what I should look out for.

If you dont want to share any info or offer any advice thats fine but there is no need to jump to conclusions and be rude and sarcastic just because you want to assume the worst.

Your questions show you know very little about oil. But as you are a gas engineer, I would say do any of the work you are experienced in (pipework, labouring etc) if you can find an oil guy that agrees to that and will do the rest including the head work to keep you right.

Thanks
This is what I was going to do but dont know whether the original guy is ok or not hence some of the questions trying to find out a little bit more info.

Thanks
This is what I was going to do but dont know whether the original guy is ok or not hence some of the questions trying to find out a little bit more info.

Maybe post the location and some of the oil guys local to it could help.
Although, obviously it is hard to get anyone to trust another persons work.

Thanks

if your a tradesman, you should realize forums like this are only useful for very specific advice ie this gas valve is doing this what do I do. Asking about whats needed on a redevelopement is basically a waste of time, your only real option is to get in 2 or 3 experts in their own field to inspect and quote for the required works, the questions you asked make you look a bit of a numpty and dont offer us any confidence in giving you long winded advice on how to go about completing an oil installation from scratch, sorry but thats te way it looked, after all if you saw a post on someone asking for advice on moving a gas main and re-siting an lpg tank, what would your response be?

if your a tradesman, you should realize forums like this are only useful for very specific advice ie this gas valve is doing this what do I do. Asking about whats needed on a redevelopement is basically a waste of time, your only real option is to get in 2 or 3 experts in their own field to inspect and quote for the required works, the questions you asked make you look a bit of a numpty and dont offer us any confidence in giving you long winded advice on how to go about completing an oil installation from scratch, sorry but thats te way it looked, after all if you saw a post on someone asking for advice on moving a gas main and re-siting an lpg tank, what would your response be?

Again please read my previous posts and show me where I am asking for long winded advice about completing an oil installation from scratch.

Talk about jumping to conclusions!

And no need for the name calling thanks.

Dont know what boiler it is apart from its outside in a box!

Basically I want to move the tank and wondering about how close to the boiler it can be and how close to a neighbours boundary etc and how far away from the boiler?

Thanks in advance

if thats not requiring a long winded complex set of answers, I have wasted a few grand on training over the years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if thats not requiring a long winded complex set of answers, I have wasted a few grand on training over the years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the sarcastic post. There really is no need for it.

I will give you an example to assist in you understanding what I am on about

Cant be within 30ft of a house. Can be next to a house or boundary no problem

Yes or no

Yes or no. Some have a frost stat/pipe stat so dont need it

Yes or no

Next to boiler or next to tank

Yes or no. Quick bleed and all is ok or dont run out as it will cost 5k to replace

Plastic

Worcester ones are crap and need changing every 3 weeks and the flue should not be pointing in the kitchen window

Building regs/OFTEC regs answer nearly all those questions.
Oil tanks now have to be bunded and you can't relocate an old single tank and expect it to be legal. Would be interesting if it burst later and question were asked.
Oil boilers contain pumps

Goose.

If someone was asking you these questions about a gas installation, what would your reaction be.

I know. The answer while help me decide whether to close this thread or not.

Please close it.

I dont understand what the rude sarcastic comments are about and to be honest I thought this forum was better than that. There is no need for it.

There were absolutely no rude or sarcastic posts. Merely ones incredulous at the questions you asked and your apparent inability to comprehend the advice given.

Would you answer similar questions asked of you if they were about a gas installation? No you would not, at least I hope you wouldn't. And I would support you 100%.

Accept the advice given. Call in an OFTEC guy to look at it and advise you properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil boiler and tank questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock