Search the forum,

Discuss oil boiler and log burner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

been to amtes today he just bought an old farm cottage ,i went to change bathroom but was amazed at the heating .the system is a worcester oil boiler with a y plan .the boiler works fine heating the hw and rads - what puzzled me was the log burner with its flow and rtn still connected , i thought they must just still terminate over old tank - out of curiosity i opened drain off on pipe to log burner and the water flow did not stop and the htg cistern started to fill ? i then lite the log burner to find the rads heating and the cylinder. what they have done is a standart y plan for the oil boiler then tapped the log burner flow and rtn into the rad flowbefore the 1st rad and the rtn after the last rad thus the rads get hot when the log burner is on. i would have not thought this was a good way to do it as if the log burner and boiler were on the uncontrolled heat from the log burner could trip the boiler oh stat.

ant

Its amazing what you come across on some of the older (farm) properties.

Would it still be able to get rid of the heat from the wood burner if the power was off? If so its not too much of a problem, the cylinder is not unvented is it?

Would it still be able to get rid of the heat from the wood burner if the power was off? If so its not too much of a problem, the cylinder is not unvented is it?

cylinder is open vented - the flow from log burner tees into the rads pipe just after the 3port mid position valve and the log burner rtn tees into the cylinder rtn at the cyl coile rtn .cistern cold feed is on the cyl side of the 3 port valve just before entering the cyl coil and the vent i assume is on the oil boiler rtn .so there is i suppose a flow for the log burner .my consern is the heat and what damage it could do to the oil boiler if they get a good fire going.
ant

If the wood burner is circulating the rad circuit it is unlikely to get hot enough to trouble the boiler (how many,size rads?). A good way of marrying the solid fuel and boiler is to use an open vented Torrent store this also will give mains pressure hot water.

If the wood burner is circulating the rad circuit it is unlikely to get hot enough to trouble the boiler (how many,size rads?). A good way of marrying the solid fuel and boiler is to use an open vented Torrent store this also will give mains pressure hot water.

8 large rads about 1m x600mm .thats how i would have done it with thermal store or one of those units that sit under the cylinder

ant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to oil boiler and log burner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, whenever my Gloworm 18r is on even if I leave it on non-stop for 6 hours the flame symbol for the burner never switches off and the radiator icon never stops flashing implying the rads are calling for more heat, even though they're all red hot and have been for hours, is this a fault or just...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for some advice on a frustrating problem I'm having with my old Eurostar 50-60s oil boiler please? Although it's old, most parts needed to operate it are now new. The symptoms indicated a broken/seized burner motor or oil pump. I wrongly assumed the motor so I ordered a new one only...
Replies
Views
Hi All...thx for the help in advance. I have recently installed a wood burner with back boiler heating system. Set up with gravity rad and header tank in loft. I have a recirculation pump installed that I have connected to the rad system that I turn on and off manually. I wanted to know how...
Replies
Views
I've a client with a rusty 20yr+ old Certikin 180 (44kw) oil pool boiler that needs changing. Certikins replacement looks like it is the exact same boiler. It has a riello r40 burner and non condensing 85% efficient boiler... Oftec say it wouldn't be compliant and would have to contact Building...
Replies
Views
L
Camray 5 (90A) (20 year old) oil boiler, had a noisy fan on the boiler so investigated, just a bit of dirt in the casing however, having removed the burner unit I replaced the Burner Nozzle no problem, old was very dirty and sooty. Found the boiler wouldn't fire up. SO rather than than mess...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock