Search the forum,

Discuss oil boiler advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark_mc

I am going to start servicing boilers soon, just getting all my kit together as im sure you all know to do it right you need to make a large investment in equipment and training etc.

last nite i called down to a fella house i do jobs for all the time plumbing and heating and he reasonally got his boiler serivced and was showing me his printout from the boiler man.

the thing that stuck out at me was the co reading of 1438ppm is that not well high.

the other readings where flue gas temp of 298.8C, 6.96co2, ration of 0.0207 and 02 11.5% amibient CO 0ppm

is these readings ok??

that's dangerous mate! You need a CO2 reading of approx 11-13%. you'll probably also find that his flueways are clogged with soot.

air gap's set too much

you'll need to tell him he needs his boiler properly swept and his burner recommissioned!

There you go cocker! first job!

i looks like the boiler is about 15 years old, its like a tool store shed. its a 70/90 warmflow it think or similar.
I told him that i would check the reading with a fella that knows ie you.
what would be the causes of such things? i told him that i couldnt do the boiler service cause i didnt have the kit yet, going to hamilation gas products.
with this i am wondering when i start boiler servicing i better do the fga training, are is it a matter of change the air intake up and down to get the correct readings
many thanks your like a jedi knight

Last edited by a moderator:
ring the manufacturer, ask them the required co2 levels and oil pressure.
remove burner and clean, then clean combustion chamber, change oil nozzle.
start burner, set oil pressure usually 8 - 10 bar.
adjust air intake until required co2 levels.
simples.
also go sit your oftec, not expensive and you'll learn loads. if you have an accident with oil the enviroment agency will have the shirt of your back!! be carefull.

sat my oftec last week done the following

101, 105 and 600

know the basics of servcings its using the fga i wouldnt be so sure about/

Where did you train? I'm not too impressed by the fact they didn't explain what the readings are meant to be or what to check for and change if the readings are wrong. Presumably they told you to do a smoke test before and after the FGA readings?

If it's any comfort, Warmflow are not the easiest boilers for your first ones but we all have to start somewhere!

trained at ccts
know how and when to use the smoke pump and after cleaning out boiler and doing another smoke test and getting between 0-1 and setting oil pressure and then fga time
the boilers in the course were all preset and change so the reading were near prefect so they didnt say how to adjust if wrong.

could you give a crash course????

I thought the settings are supposed to be messed with and also a couple of faults left, and you had to sort it out to get your Oftec

they left faults on them, like fuse out, oil off, things disconnected, oil pressure needed set, change nozzle, set air intake. take smoke pump test,
and then they tell you to take fga anaylsis.

what im asking could some tell me when doing the fga anaylsis and say your co2 is to high or to low do you just increase your air take and what about the co level do you do the same.

i know the wrong nozzle can be an answer to the figures too>

when your co2 levels are correct, you will have correct combustion, and your co levels will take care of themselves - unless there is a big problem, highly unlikely.
read the mi and they will tell you how to adjust air intake.

If your CO2 reading is too high or too low then you alter the air intake as required. You'll also find the CO reading moves in tandem. If you've nearly got the reading and it suddenly shoots off the gauge again then you need to check your secondary burn.

Most of this stuff is in those bloomin' expensive books you bought as part of the course!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to oil boiler advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock