Search the forum,

Discuss Oh no! Not another young gun asking for a job! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

snowden

Hey Mr Plumber, please keep reading

About me-

I'm 24, I live in Norfolk (Breckland/ Norwich area), I currently work 2 days per week at an Insurance company (have to pay the bills). I'm coming to the end of my 6129 Level 2 at College of West Anglia. I twiddle my thumbs on a monday, thursday and most weekends, and basically I just want to plumb.

The problem-

I have sent out 30 CVs, letters and a portfolio with colour photos to local plumbers in my area. It cost me a bomb in stamps and printing. These letters in my opinion were "the mutz nuts" and I had high hopes. Alas, no solid leads were landed so I still twiddle my thumbs and the aforementioned days.

The solution-

I will work for nothing, not penny. I have my own tools (so I wont steal your shiny Bahcos :smiley2:). I have my own car (so I can drive your van if needed), I will have my own tradesman/ PI insurance if needed (to cover myself if I decide I don't like my limbs any more). It really wont cost you a penny. :icon14:

If you're still reading then thank you. Honestly I'm just a regular guy who decided he didn't like his career and made a decision to change it. I completed my practical tasks at level 2 to a high standard and well within time limit. I have passed all Gola exams with high pass marks.

All I'm after is a couple of days a week to shadow a plumber, learn how things are done, how problems are solved. I want to see what calls come in from customers and what tools are needed for such calls. I will go where you tell me too, do the job you tell me too and will be great company whilst doing it. If after a few months you like working with me then perhaps we could discuss an apprenticeship (again funded by myself) Bare in mind, the Government are giving employers £1500 towards costs.

I get it that times are hard, there isn't much work. I'm not naive that I think its a career that will make rich, but I know its a career i will enjoy. Im pretty handy with a spanner.

Its not my intention to take paid work away from others, I just need a chance. You get free labour at no cost to yourself. I get the experience I cant get in a Plumbing workshop.

Thank you for reading

Olly

if i were you i would stop wasting your time on monday, thursday and saturday twiddling and get your bum down to 2-3 of your local plumbers merchants tapping for work. you never know, the merchant may even be interested.
seriously, give it a go and be ready there and then to give someone a hand.
good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with REDSAW, you need to meet the tradesmen, I would also suggest that you offer to do a few days labouring even cleaning up to get your foot in the door.

Your age can be a blessing or a curse, if you are a mature 24 year old who is willing to learn and take what many young men see as the grief of being an apprentice then you could be the Godsend someone is looking for, problem is nobody can see that from a C.V.

By a curse I mean you could be the 24 year old who is only interested in gaining the confidence to use the tools you have and instead of staying for the long haul would be gone inside a year and your bosses newest competition.

Most employers would not be impressed at your offer to work for nothing, in fairness most of us would not look kindly on anyone in the trade abusing their position, somewhere in every tradesman even the self employed the residue of membership of a trade unionist lives on.

The £1500.00 is not really enough of an incentive to take on an apprentice it costs more in paperwork alone, so no harm to mention it but don't expect it to be a deciding factor.

Best of Luck.

Thankyou for your replies

Like I said, it really isn't my intention to take paid work away from anyone. The plan is to labour, clean up and be a hard working mate for a few months. Build relationships, learn the ropes and get as much experience as I can in order to start an apprenticeship in September.

Twiddling my thumbs was just a metaphor, I am being proactive, I only have these days free as I finished my practical work in good time. I have been to merchants. The letters I sent were asking for paid work

So the plumber would be able to get me up to a standard where he would feel comfortable to pay me a wage. As I would already have my 6129 certificate and my own tools, the plumber would feel comfortable to give me a job to do on my own knowing that I wont be asking for his help every 5 minutes. The apprenticeship would be for at least 12 months, plus the time I worked for nothing so I would be with him for at least 18 months.

I know what you're saying about my age. It can be a blessing or a curse. A curse due to the lack of funding, a blessing in that I have done my career messing about and am mature. I gave up a decent. well paid fulltime job that was secure to do something I enjoy. So not prepared to fail. The OP may seem like I'm arrogant and cocky but that's not how it is at all. I'm serious, hard working and very enthusiastic.

Hi,

Good to see you know the job that you have in front of you, I think REDSAW was suggesting that you present yourself at the suppliers to meet with the tradesmen.

You recognise the age thing, personally I would want an apprentice as young as possible as that way they don't come with bad habits, they are ready to be moulded and like sponges soaking up knowledge.

When I was serving my time I had to serve 5 years, many of the tradesmen I worked with had served seven years, today in Ireland the term is four years with time out for three modules in college lasting approx 6 months each, that gives the apprentice a balance of both practical and experience.

I am not in the UK so I am not familiar with the 18 month plan that you refer to I am not doubting you just not sure of how effective such an apprenticeship would be, of course that is not the topic.

Wishing you every success.

The apprenticeship at College is 2 years but I would've already done I think its 9 or 10 of 12 modules on my 6129 so would be able to complete early. Thats what my lecturer reckons anyway. Obviously if the plumber wanted to keep me longer then I would stay.

In regards to the age thing. My brain isn't a spongy as it once was, you're right. but you can still teach an "old dog" new tricks as they say.

I agree with the others, get to know your local plumbing merchants ,they know all the local trades people and may be able to pass you to someone who is looking to trade free work for learning. They might even let you put up and ad ?Can your college tutor not put a good word in for you they also usually have good links to the local companies .Also companies probably get a lot of requests by phone or post but if they meet you face to face and like you , you will stand a better chance of success. Good luck with the search .

The apprenticeship at College is 2 years but I would've already done I think its 9 or 10 of 12 modules on my 6129 so would be able to complete early. Thats what my lecturer reckons anyway. Obviously if the plumber wanted to keep me longer then I would stay.

In regards to the age thing. My brain isn't a spongy as it once was, you're right. but you can still teach an "old dog" new tricks as they say.

What follows may offend you. I don't mean to do so but this is the reality of how it is.

Your "apprenticeship" at collage is not an apprenticeship. It is a near worthless collage course that will be of little to no use unless you are extremely lucky.

Good luck however it turns out.

If only I was 24 again even without the knowledge I have gained over the years I can honestly say that there was never a better time to get out there and make a living, there's nothing wrong with the brain of a 24 year old.

First put yourself in "Survival Mode" none of us is entitled to anything we must get our noses into that trough and keep snuffling until the others give up, chickwithgrips is right get yourself in front of the people you need to meet.

One young man worked for me for five years, he started by tying the ladders on my van in the rain without being asked, if I remember right I told him to get away when I saw him, his answer was a humble sorry boss just show me how you want then tied and you won't have to show me again.

I also agree with Tamz, the modules are no good without the practical, the lesson there is don't use them as if they are a qualification, promote them as good start, now you want to fill in the blanks.

I know that what I'm doing at college is nothing more than a piece of paper. But its a start.....

I want to start at the bottom, I expect too. I just need to get in somewhere or shadow someone. A foot in the door. Thats all. Cant prove my worth if nobody to prove it too.

Thankyou for all you replies.

If I was 24 again the last thing i'd want to do is plumbing or anything to do with the building trade was a good earner a few years ago but now you'll just get shafted and earn a wage/price that'll barely pay the bills nowadays.

The problem is, your one of hundreds coming out of courses, both college and fast track who are wanting to find work and are offering it for free. And unfortunately nobody will take anyone on who's taken this route sorry :( among many things there is just no work to be had.

IMO there are alot of young lads out there that have apprenticeships and dont deserve them. Don't be put off by the comments on here they are all true but you just need a bit of luck and i reckon you deserve a break and would make a decent apprentice.

What gets me is when i look in my local paper job section every week there are fast track plumbing course ads advertising a career in plumbing and unlimited earnings etc yet there are NO plumbing jobs in the same page where they should be and this happens every week!

What gets me is when i look in my local paper job section every week there are fast track plumbing course ads advertising a career in plumbing and unlimited earnings etc yet there are NO plumbing jobs in the same page where they should be and this happens every week!

Same in Ireland,

Last year from a young man called in to me selling a lot of tools, he had spent a lot of money on courses getting (UK equal) to Gas Safe, and OFTEC, bought all the tools and leased a new mecedes sprinter all set to make his fortune servicing oil and gas boilers.

First job was to sign off on a gas installation for "A Friend" who had just had a major renovation done on the house, the gas supply was too small boiler going to lock out when the cooker was used, he took the professional route which ended in tears all round.

I asked him why not just run in a new gas supply leave everyone happy and make a few quid? Turned out he had all the tools just didn't know how to use them because his real job was a digger driver.

He had spent over €6,000.00 and after his first experience was smart enough to know that courses do not make a tradesman, what they had taught him was the level of responsibility entailed in servicing gas appliances.

I didn't say it to him but if that had happened to one of my sons I would have sued the course providers.

Yep plenty of ads for courses none for job vacancies, a recipe for more cowboy operators because the people who spend the money will feel they must get it back.

I haven't done a fast track course. I have done a 12 month college course in Engineering and Plumbing. So its more about learning than just passing to get a certificate. I get longer in the workshop, 121s with Tutors and personal development plans. Its all learn, learn, learn. I went back to college, started from the bottom with the 16 year olds.

And as for no work, are you kidding? The work is there, I just think some people are picky about what work they do.

For example. Around my area within 15 miles there are 30 plumbers on Yell.com. I know this because I wrote to them. My neighbour last week drilled through a radiator pipe in the wall on Saturday night at 6:15. He called up 6 plumbers, 2 live in our village and none of them wanted the job. A couple said it was because it was a Saturday and they don't work weekends. I wasn't in for my neighbour to ask so he paid Homeserve £180 for half hours work and a piece of speedfit plastic.

I'm not in it to make mega bucks, I'm in it because I love doing it. I've worked in insurance sales for 5 years now and will continue to do so part time due to benefits that come with being on a salary. Its just not a job I enjoy, but it pays the bills.

Hey Mr Plumber, please keep reading

About me-

I'm 24, I live in Norfolk (Breckland/ Norwich area), I currently work 2 days per week at an Insurance company (have to pay the bills). I'm coming to the end of my 6129 Level 2 at College of West Anglia. I twiddle my thumbs on a monday, thursday and most weekends, and basically I just want to plumb.

The problem-

I have sent out 30 CVs, letters and a portfolio with colour photos to local plumbers in my area. It cost me a bomb in stamps and printing. These letters in my opinion were "the mutz nuts" and I had high hopes. Alas, no solid leads were landed so I still twiddle my thumbs and the aforementioned days.

The solution-

I will work for nothing, not penny. I have my own tools (so I wont steal your shiny Bahcos :smiley2:). I have my own car (so I can drive your van if needed), I will have my own tradesman/ PI insurance if needed (to cover myself if I decide I don't like my limbs any more). It really wont cost you a penny. :icon14:

If you're still reading then thank you. Honestly I'm just a regular guy who decided he didn't like his career and made a decision to change it. I completed my practical tasks at level 2 to a high standard and well within time limit. I have passed all Gola exams with high pass marks.

All I'm after is a couple of days a week to shadow a plumber, learn how things are done, how problems are solved. I want to see what calls come in from customers and what tools are needed for such calls. I will go where you tell me too, do the job you tell me too and will be great company whilst doing it. If after a few months you like working with me then perhaps we could discuss an apprenticeship (again funded by myself) Bare in mind, the Government are giving employers £1500 towards costs.

I get it that times are hard, there isn't much work. I'm not naive that I think its a career that will make rich, but I know its a career i will enjoy. Im pretty handy with a spanner.

Its not my intention to take paid work away from others, I just need a chance. You get free labour at no cost to yourself. I get the experience I cant get in a Plumbing workshop.

Thank you for reading

Olly

Personaly, I think you should print this out with your number on, take it to all the local merchants and ask if you can leave it on thier counter. Gotta be worth a try

I wish someone would phone me for a simple job like that ;) I love doing them.

Best advice is always listen to advice, use what you think is good and suitable but make your own decisions. I found it tough breaking into this industry (started at 30) but it is possible if you stick at it. Forget about sexy cv's and colour photos get down the merchants, get to know the lads. I know blokes that picked up chippy apprenticeships because they worked hard at labouring, punctual & reliable. Think out of the box, talk to friends of friends who may have a neighbour who works in construction etc... to get any experience on site which may well lead to what you want to do plumbing. Out of my course I was the only one self employed not working for a company and got my level 3, the rest of them didnt becos the company went bust or they were too lazy to chase it up. A year on the last few stragglers are finally sitting there acs. The apprentices I know either are related to somebody in the know or have personally knocked on so many doors that the company they eventually got what they wanted

I haven't done a fast track course. I have done a 12 month college course in Engineering and Plumbing. So its more about learning than just passing to get a certificate. I get longer in the workshop, 121s with Tutors and personal development plans. Its all learn, learn, learn. I went back to college, started from the bottom with the 16 year olds.

And as for no work, are you kidding? The work is there, I just think some people are picky about what work they do.

For example. Around my area within 15 miles there are 30 plumbers on Yell.com. I know this because I wrote to them. My neighbour last week drilled through a radiator pipe in the wall on Saturday night at 6:15. He called up 6 plumbers, 2 live in our village and none of them wanted the job. A couple said it was because it was a Saturday and they don't work weekends. I wasn't in for my neighbour to ask so he paid Homeserve £180 for half hours work and a piece of speedfit plastic.

I'm not in it to make mega bucks, I'm in it because I love doing it. I've worked in insurance sales for 5 years now and will continue to do so part time due to benefits that come with being on a salary. Its just not a job I enjoy, but it pays the bills.

Don't take every negative post as being the only option or way things must work out, you are in charge of your own destiny.

I honestly believe there has never been a better time to prepare for a future in any business than now, the reasons being the economy is down, there is so much negativity that many people are asking "why should I" instead of saying "I am going to".

To start today means you begin at a low base, no big overhead because the banks won't fund them, that keeps manners on the flash boys who fancy their chances, get going as soon as you can, prove your ability and the only way is up.

HI,
I live near to you, i work mainly in commercial buildings on heating and air conditioning maintenance, repair and breakdown/callout work. Unfortunatley i am not in a position to offer you any work at the moment as i have an assistant but i am than happy to meet up for a chat over a coffee at some point.
I am not far from you, between watton and attleborough.
Good luck Paul.

Sounds great,

By the way, I live in Ashill which is only a couple of miles from Watton

You now have my number give me a ring at some time, i come to ashill sometimes.
Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oh no! Not another young gun asking for a job! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock