Search the forum,

Discuss Offsetting Barrel Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ahmed Mukhtar

I have a 68mm gauge barrel pipe radiators’ hot water supply mains going through my apartment.

My apartment is on the 5th floor of a six floor 1930’s Edwardian block in Bayswater.

I want to completely refurbish my flat and this pipe will end up in the doorway to my proposed kitchen.

The building management can have the boiler supplying these pipes shut off and drained between 11am and 3pm. They then refill after 3pm and switch on.

My proposal is to bend the pipe within the floor finish zone, offset by 700mm.

My contractor can prepare the trench to facilitate the space for the offset within the floor finish.

Then offset back above the proposed ceiling – hard up against the concrete soffit – so the through connection is maintained whilst allowing me to have the proposed thoroughfare into the kitchen as in the proposed layout.

It is unusual, but is a challenge.

Is this something you can do? IMG_3639.jpgIMG_3637.jpg

im sorry to say a normal plumber/ heating engineer wont be able to do it you will require a commercial/ pipe fitter that has the tackle to cut and thread in place, and i have a feeling that it is galv pipe and it isnt suitable for hot or cold water services so may have to be ripped out, just to let you know as well you will need more time than 11-3

have you contacted a structural engineer as well and asked him/her is it ok to dig/channel a bit of your floor up?

Last edited:
I'd redesign your kitchen around that pipe if I were you. Pipe that age and diameter will not bend successfully.

And 4 hours is nowhere enough time.

I'd redesign your kitchen around that pipe if I were you. Pipe that age and diameter will not bend successfully.

And 4 hours is nowhere enough time.

and wouldn't be cheap to move/ alter either :) us commercials dont charge pennies like the rest do :D

I see. I was hoping there would've been a way to pre-make a section with both bottom and upper bends already so that when the pipe to be offset is drained and ready it becomes a matter of cutting at the slab and cutting at the soffit and then bringing in the prefabricated section and fitting. But if you're all saying 'it can't be done' then I'll have no choice but to compromise the proposed layout. I was prepared to pay whatever it took. Do let me know if you can do it for a price, I just need to know it and then I'll decide whether I want it that badly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see. I was hoping there would've been a way to pre-make a section with both bottom and upper bends already so that when the pipe to be offset is drained and ready it becomes a matter of cutting at the slab and cutting at the soffit and then bringing in the prefabricated section and fitting. But if you're all saying 'it can't be done' then I'll have no choice but to compromise the proposed layout. I was prepared to pay whatever it took. Do let me know if you can do it for a price, I just need to know it and then I'll decide whether I want it that badly.

you would need access to the above and below property's and there approval for the works and i can be done but needs a lot of things checking of the list first

I'm searching for somebody to quote and then be ready to come in and do it on a preagreed time slot after the apartment had been gutted. Can that person be you subject to having performed your checks?

Just realised which sub forum this thread is in. We don't normally allow the discussion of work, the why's and wherefores in this one.

Thank you for the opportunity Ahmed

If this job interests you please PM Ahmed directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Offsetting Barrel Pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
I am currently trying to solve a problem in terms of laying pipes in a screed floor. The old copper pipework under the screed is leaking and so I am going to abandon it and lay new pipe. I can't box them in or run from the ceiling. So my solution, after some research, was to bring in a new flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've looked through old threads on similar questions, however i was hoping for advice regarding our house project. When i've read threads before when people have asked similar questions - some people say that the Veismann Stored combi is a great boiler and would be adequate, however most...
Replies
Views
We most likely have a clog problem that we can't seem to resolve. These are the details: The drain has been slow in the tub in bathroom #1 (located on the east end of the basement of our ranch home) for a while, but it was always keeping up pretty close and finished draining within 30 seconds...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I have had a few quotes and been given lots of differing advice, this always makes me wary, especially having suffered a history of poor quality work by...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock