Search the forum,

Discuss Off topic regarding car recall. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

A

Aire

Hi guys, this has nothing to do with plumbing but we seem to have experts in all areas on here so thought I'd try for some advice.

Some of you may be aware of bmw's recent recall regarding faulty egr modules. The problem with them is when at fault small amounts of coolant are leaking into the exhaust gas cooler and mixing with carbon deposits forming hot embers. These embers can then melt the intake manifold and in rare cases cause the engine to catch fire.

Last August I had this issue on my car, outside of warranty but I needed a new egr module and a new intake manifold. Cost me £1800 to repair. At the time of this repair the above recall was happening in South Korea and moving to Europe. I mentioned this but was told due to the fact the recall was not yet in the UK, I had to pay for the repair.

The recall is now in the UK and I received my recall notice before Christmas. I have since then been in touch a few times with my local dealer pushing for a refund, obviously they're in no rush and I keep getting the same excuse that my claim is with the warranty manager and awaiting response.

Other than phoning every day until they're fed up of me do you guys have any other ideas that could speed them up? Would bmw UK be worth mailing or is it a matter between me and my local dealer?

Thanks

Never occurred to me to contact them :rolleyes:. I don't mind how long it takes, I'll try my dealer once more on Monday and if i still get the same response then I'll try CAB first and see what they say.

I would not know but as mentioned above trading st. Or sending a letter signed for should perhaps help you. Perhaps you can let us know on how you getting on with that. How long did it take your me hanoc to find out what the issue was? Seems not a straight forward job.

I would not know but as mentioned above trading st. Or sending a letter signed for should perhaps help you. Perhaps you can let us know on how you getting on with that. How long did it take your me hanoc to find out what the issue was? Seems not a straight forward job.
Took two visits, first visit showed the egr module (specifically the cooler) to be at fault. Didn't fully fix the issue, second visit confirmed my intake manifold had melted. £780 for the first visit, £1050 for the second :oops:. When I asked for a explanation as to how this happened, the service manager brought me documents on this known fault. Turns out theyve known about it for years and it's only because of vehicle fires in Korea that they were forced to recall effected cars.

Took two visits, first visit showed the egr module (specifically the cooler) to be at fault. Didn't fully fix the issue, second visit confirmed my intake manifold had melted. £780 for the first visit, £1050 for the second :oops:. When I asked for a explanation as to how this happened, the service manager brought me documents on this known fault. Turns out theyve known about it for years and it's only because of vehicle fires in Korea that they were forced to recall effected cars.
Not cheap at all. How old is your bmw and what model is it? Perhaps drive up to the mechanic and talk to him directly

Not cheap at all. How old is your bmw and what model is it? Perhaps drive up to the mechanic and talk to him directly
It's a 63 plate 330d. Due to been busy with work I've not had chance to visit the dealer in person so stuck with just phone calls. I doubt the mechanic would be able to help anyway. It would be the service manager I'd need to speak to but I've spoke to him over the phone. I'm thinking they're hoping that if they leave it long enough I'll drop it.

It's a 63 plate 330d. Due to been busy with work I've not had chance to visit the dealer in person so stuck with just phone calls. I doubt the mechanic would be able to help anyway. It would be the service manager I'd need to speak to but I've spoke to him over the phone. I'm thinking they're hoping that if they leave it long enough I'll drop it.
Great nippy car that is. Has a good grip on roads right. You might be right about the service manager. You won’t give up its 1800 pounds mate

Great nippy car that is. Has a good grip on roads right. You might be right about the service manager. You won’t give up its 1800 pounds mate
It's a fantastic car, great round corners and on straights. nearly cost me my license too :D. And no I won't give up, I've tried been civil and patient with them but my patience is wearing thin.

It's a fantastic car, great round corners and on straights. nearly cost me my license too :D. And no I won't give up, I've tried been civil and patient with them but my patience is wearing thin.
The license would be costing you a fortune if you had to carry your tools to the next jobs :)

You could also contact some of the car magazine companies to give them your story

That could be an advantage so that they back him up
The problem he has is the fact that he needed the work done and paid for it before the recall was rolled out in the uk. BMW are keeping cust cars for weeks and admit they don`t have enough parts to carry out the work, hence the 2 month delay for custs, Some owners are complaining that they have "only" be given Vauxhalls to drive in the meantime (poor souls! :D).

They have raised the delay issue after large numbers of custs complained to them. Try their webpages for more.
I'll have a look though their website and see what I can find and maybe contact them myself.

Reply to Off topic regarding car recall. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock