Search the forum,

Discuss NVQ2 advice and guidance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumuk84

Hello

I'm currently in full time employment on a shift pattern, i'm interested in plumbing primarily for job security as i have nothing else to fall back on. I recently purchased NVQ 2&3 plumbing theory on the internet and have started studying it. I was going to go with OLCI home study you buy the theory then pay for practical/reg fees etc but was very wary as they would not tell me exactly how much it would cost altogether. I have made initial agreement with an equaintance who is a working plumber corgi reg etc to provide me with a workplacemnt to fit around my current shift pattern.
Could someone tell me what the best thing to do is to get an NVQ2 plumbing

can i just go to practical lesson at OLCI or equivalant then build my portfolio for NVQ with the work placement

or can i just do theory then go straight out on work placment to build my portfolio

any advice orguidance would be apprieciated.

Hello mate,

If you can help it dont spend a bomb on these fast track courses.

I am doing the 6129 tech cert at a private college for the amount of £240! And that includes boots and tools.

It does however take 8 months at Two days per week. (semi fast track)

If you live near to or can commute to Essex, Hertfordshire, or East London, please let me know and I will give you the details of where I train.

The NVQ l2 is a seperate payment of £900 but you havent got to worry about this until you have finished your course.

Hope this is of help to you, or anyone else on here for that matter!

cont: forgot to mention, the course is goverment funded through a college but the training is delivered away from the college by a private company in a plumbing center.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damm i'm in Somerset just outside of Bath so bit too far to travel unfortunutely. thanks for your help though. Unable to go to college because of my current work commitments, thats why OLCI seemed idea. just read on their website they have courses for people in the trade already but without a formal qualification and you only need to do the workshops you are not familar with.
Does anybody know if i get upto scratch on theory and build my portfolio whilst i'm under the wings of a more experianced plumber. could i then just be assesed by OLCI theory and practical and gain city& guilds 6129 that way? maybe i'm dreaming and is too good to be true but it would save me a hell of alot of money that way

Yet again any help is apprieciated

Yes and no.

The 6129 is just the technical aspect. You do not have to do this certificate to achieve the NVQ 2. This is seperate.

If you can learn the trade from a plumber you can then just undertake the NVQ l2 with the oicl, as all the NVQ 2 consists of is you doing your work whilst a assessor visists you and verifies your work.

People do the 6129 cert because they find it extremely difficuilt to find a good plumber to take them on.

The plumber that you work with / learn from must be time served and have 5 years of books to prove this.

If he fits the critearia he can sign off your modules for your NVQ 2 for you. This and a few assessor visits will complete your Nvq 2.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much this has cleared a lot up in my mind now. i'm pretty sure the plumber i intend to train/learn with has 5 yrs experiance. According to the internet varies website to website on how long it takes to achieve NVQ2 from 6 months to at least 2 years? Baring in mind when i start with the plumber i would have no practical experiance at all and very little theory how long realistically will it take for me to gain NVQ2? do i get assessed at my on-the-job placement or do i have to travel to one of the training centres to be assesed? How much can i expect to pay olci for assesments NVQ registration etc?

you will be assesed at a center for the C&G and onsite for the NVQ2

ok thank you Ugg
So the C&G 6129 tech certificate is that a must to gain NVQ2 or does it just help?

You do NOT need to undertake the city and guilds 6129 technical certificate if you are already working with / as a Plumber.

If you do not want to take the above, I would suggest that you work alongside a good Plumber for at least a year to gain some experience and then apply for your NVQ L2 once you know what your doing.

Of course the other option is to undertake the tech cert 6129, but this is NOT a must and hands on experience with a compotent Plumber will be more beneficial.

As stated before, the NVQ L2 is a work based assessment by verified assessors who visit you on site. The NVQ L2 is not a course where you learn Plumbing, it is a certificate of compotence that is awarded upon satifactory completion of work based assessments.

ok thanks for clearing that up once again. I'm so glad i happened to pop on here to see what people had to say.
like explained in earlier threads i'm going to be working with a competent plumber around my current shift pattern sly this will be part time probably between 8-10 hours per week. Would your advice be to work with the plumber for at least a year then apply for NVQ level 2 once i have experiance? then its just a case of building up my portfolio of work right?

Yep. Thats deffinately the way to go, and I know plenty of people who have done this.

Plumbuk84 I hope I am not too late but do not go with OLCI I am with them and everyone I have spoken to on course say the same they will offer loads but deliver only the basic not much support anywhere from them.

I know its easy to use them with shift patterns I'm the same but would trade lower money for the flex to attend college

Find somewhere else that is better for you!

If you have already gone with them then really push them hard!

Hi, I live in Hertfordshire so am interested to learn more about this semi fast track course you are doing?

Currently working full time in london I am desperatly seeking a career change and very interested in Plumbing, however am finding it increasingly difficult to find a way of gaining the right qualifications at my age (im 28) as advanced apprenticeships are very rare and am unsure about all these fast track courses available.

So any info on your course would be greatly appreciated as ideally I will need to train part-time around my job.

Thanks.

Hello mate,

If you can help it dont spend a bomb on these fast track courses.

I am doing the 6129 tech cert at a private college for the amount of £240! And that includes boots and tools.

It does however take 8 months at Two days per week. (semi fast track)

If you live near to or can commute to Essex, Hertfordshire, or East London, please let me know and I will give you the details of where I train.

The NVQ l2 is a seperate payment of £900 but you havent got to worry about this until you have finished your course.

Hope this is of help to you, or anyone else on here for that matter!

cont: forgot to mention, the course is goverment funded through a college but the training is delivered away from the college by a private company in a plumbing center.

Hi,
I have done my 6129 a year ago (working as a plumber for 2.5years) and want to do the work based NVQ2 qualification... I have tried calling alot of centre's to get anyone to come out and to assess my work.... i have had little success... has anyone any idea's who to call and how much would the qualification cost??
cheers

Hi, I live in Hertfordshire so am interested to learn more about this semi fast track course you are doing?

Currently working full time in london I am desperatly seeking a career change and very interested in Plumbing, however am finding it increasingly difficult to find a way of gaining the right qualifications at my age (im 28) as advanced apprenticeships are very rare and am unsure about all these fast track courses available.

So any info on your course would be greatly appreciated as ideally I will need to train part-time around my job.

Thanks.

Hello there,

Sorry for the delay.

The course that I mention is based in Waltham Abbey near to Loughton.

The course is done over two days per week and takes around 9 months.

The company is called M POWER Training Soloutions and is funded by Epping Forest College.

If you call the following number and ask for Amanda she will guide you through the process. I kn ow that there is a course starting in September 08.

01992 769696

Good luck mate,

Keep me updated on your progres.

Regards.

Hi,
I have done my 6129 a year ago (working as a plumber for 2.5years) and want to do the work based NVQ2 qualification... I have tried calling alot of centre's to get anyone to come out and to assess my work.... i have had little success... has anyone any idea's who to call and how much would the qualification cost??
cheers
It should cost you about £600 and you have 2 years to complete it. Your local construction college should do this for you. :)

Thanks very much for the info, is a great help.

Only problem I have is that I work full-time mon-fri so would be unable to commit myself 2 days a week without giving up work, but unfortunately thats not going to pay my mortgage!

This is a big headache as want to do the right qualification without wasting money on the wrong courses but seems I am going to have to find an employer first as I need a salary whilst training. This is proving a difficult task at the age of 28 as employers prefer younger people.

Thanks again for the advice, will bear it in mind.

quote=ninjastealth187;1363]Hello there,

Sorry for the delay.

The course that I mention is based in Waltham Abbey near to Loughton.

The course is done over two days per week and takes around 9 months.

The company is called M POWER Training Soloutions and is funded by Epping Forest College.

If you call the following number and ask for Amanda she will guide you through the process. I kn ow that there is a course starting in September 08.

01992 769696

Good luck mate,

Keep me updated on your progres.

Regards.[/quote]

common problem with students wanting to upgrade but cannot find a college or paid work

Hi People
Sorry i had to submit this post just to clear up some things.
Firstly so you know where i am coming from, I am an NVQ Assessor and Internal Verifier with my own company assessing NVQs.
Right here we go;
You can never be fully exempt from the 6129 you can do a shorten version of providing you have evidence that can be proved if neccessary of 5 years work experience even then you will still have to sit the 10 knowledge paper based exams (paper based at the moment soon to be online exams) but not the GOLA end exam.
You will also need to complete the major practical assessments but not the bathroom assessment as you can do that on site in the 6089 and track it across. As for the length the time you have to complete your 6089 you have 5 years from date of registration to complete it.
Hope this helps you with your decisions

dorset, 5 year to complete the NVQ, yes that is registration with the awarding body, it is unlikly that any college or training provider would put you on a 5 year course. more likely 1 or 2 year, so the regisatration would still be live but the candidate would have to pay again if they wanted assessing on site or port folio

so dorset, or any others, just to clarify in order to get ur NVQ 2 and NVQ 3..you MUST have the technical certificates 2 and 3????

also in order to register for a corgi qualification do you have to have the NVQ 3 or can you just take the ACS qualification ?? so can i do my NVQ 2 and take the ACS course..then apply for corgi registration??

any help would be greatly appreciated

sort of yes, let me explain.
You can run the 6129 and the 6089 (NVQ) along side each other but you cannot complete and claim the 6089 til you have been certificated in the 6129.
also you cannot start level 3 6129 til you have completed the level 2 6129, but you can start the level 3 6129 even if you havent completed the level 2 6089.

As far as i am aware you can undertake youe ACS with the full level 2 (6129 & 6089)

Hope this helps if not i will explain it another way

i really appreciate your input dorset.
i understood what you said bout the level 2 and level 3 certs and NVQ's thanks.
so if i wanted to become corgi registered i could choose from one of the 2 follwing paths;

1. NVQ 2 ----NVQ 3 ----- Corgi

2. NVQ 2 -----ACS ---- Corgi

am i right in assuming that? if so what path would you personally recommend??
and do you need to obtain workplace evidence for the ACS gas qualification??

thanks in advance.
kurt

Even with NVQ 3 you will still need ACS and yes you will need to obtain workplace evidence before undertaking your ACS.
Which one would i personally recommend it would be the NVQ 3 route because the more experience and training you get the better, but that is my opinion

I know this is an old thread but I thought I should point out that to get your NVQ2 6089 without having done a full 6129 is possible but you will have to show provable work history AND sit all the theory exams from the 6129. As an experienced worker, you can bypass the practical element only. It is not just a case of having a few visits at work.

Also, someone asked about doing the NVQ only having completed the 6129 a while ago. The college I work for charges around £350 to cover registration and site visits or it can be done for free if you enrol on the college mod app scheme as the college recovers the costs through the government then.
The tech cert must be no older than 5 years old though.

Yep. Thats deffinately the way to go, and I know plenty of people who have done this.

hi, im currently attending suffolk new college studying the techical cetifacate but what i realy want is a nvq. i currently have a work placement.

starnge thing is suffolk new college says i cant inrole on a nvq or start one because im on a full time course which is over 2 days a week.

from what u guys say u dont need to do the basic cetifacte and can get on with an nvq.

could any 1 help me where i could find a assessor to help me do this or where i can start as i cant find nuffing.

thanks 4 looking :)

as of next year at my college there will no longer be a tech cert(like i say this is what i have been told by my tutor at my college) apparently the whole thing will change to a plumbing diploma(city and guilds decision) with an nvq module included.

wich in turn you would need to be employed/selfemployed,

this is apparently due to funding and too many people trying in this trade and failing( failing exams/assesments).

dont know the full story yet but will post as im told.:)

The problem is that for some time time the lead bodies have been monitoring how many "qualified" people are being churned out in relation to how many are actually going on to work in the trade.
There will no longer be a tech cert and NVQ, instead a "QCF" framework with custom units is being brought in.
IMHO this will hopefully stem the flow of over qualified but under experienced people into the industry, ie someone who has done a fast track with a quick bolt-on NVQ being as equally qualified as a trainee who has spent a minimum of two years working towards the same result by building up useful site knowledge, handskills and putting into practice what is learned in the tech cert.
In short, to achieve a useful qualification you must be working with a qualified installer for the duration of the training.

From experience keep well away from OLCA !!!!

I am with you all the way on that quote ' Aquarius '
I am in full time employment and i couldn't get onto a college course due to time spent out of the country, so i went with OLCI 2 years ago, I am just going to sit my GOLA 6089 tomorrow with a view to maybe doing my MVQ L2 at some point, I have just learned to be a plumber out of a JTL book, 6000 pound later and i still feel useless, OLCI ......Never again !!!!

6089 doesnt have a GOLA, you mean 6129, 6k and you dont know what qual your on

in respect to any centre they can only teach so much. an apprenticeship is one day in college and 4 doing it, how can any centre make up the loss of 4 days a week for 4 years, you couldnt expect to have the same skills

Hiya Fuzzy, and thank you so much for answering my post, eh yep i am doing my GOLA in the morning and it is 6129 sorry, what i meant to say was i just got my MVQ book and it is the 6089 the old one and everyone seems to be now saying the new 6189 is better, I know what you are saying about the private companys like OLCI but it's just a pity some tutors just don't seem interested in teaching and i for one knew nothing about plumbing before i started.....anyway we'll see, i like this forum wish i had found you guys earlier, bye for now. :D

Ps. Fuzzy, just to let you know jetlag is very bad for the memory :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NVQ2 advice and guidance in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock