Search the forum,

Discuss nvq 2 criteria coverage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adrianfs1

Hi everyone,
Iam a self employed plumber, not doing to badly, however i have only just finished my 6129 tec cert and want to complete 6089 nvq l2, been plumbing for around 3 years self taught, decided i needed formal quals, want to ask an assessor if there is one out there, Iwill have a completely empty bathroom of which i wll have decomissioned, just leaving hot and cold tails as they enter the room plus feed and return for a rad. if i get an assessor out to me and i reaquip the bathroom to the required standards how much of the nvq l2 will this cover, cheers adrianfs1

welcome to the forum,

i am not an assesor but as far as i understand in brief,

you will need 6 months of photo evidence of differing criteria and 1-6 visits from a college assesor and that depends on the area you live if you can get one but is not impossible.
good luck.

im signed to olci for my nvq, the instructors at newcastle tell me this will not be a problem, but will not tell me what big jobs i need, mostly do small plumbing problems.

i have a list somewhere from c&g, i will post when i find it. i think i did it on another thread too.

me too actually, it's suprisingly difficult to find a definitive list.
in 450 years when i've saved up the couple of grand i need to do my nvq the list will prove handy.

ok found it, and a link to the thread.

you need a consise range of jobs for your portfolio,

these requirements are outlined by a guy called brian curry, a leading c&q examiner, authour etc, who i have direct contact too, so take it as read.
he says..
installing,
toilets,baths,basins,sinks and associated hot/cold discharge piping.
ball-valve maintenance various situations,
variety of tap and valve maintenance,
gutter, rwp, soil rainwater pipe install,
exchange rads and associated piping,
cylinder cupboard installation or replacement of a tank and cylinder,
shower install electric and mixers,
lead workk,
complete bathroom install including rads.

get one or two of the listed above and that will be a descent portfolio.
should take about 6 months. think it has a valid span of 6months too.
its a fact from one of the countries top plumbing examiner.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-courses/4938-nvq-2-assessment.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,
I've been working in North east England as an NVQ (6089) plumbing assesor for the last 5 years, before that I was an ACS gas assessor.
I'd be happy to advise on what's needed to complete your NVQ portfolio and can do it on a step by step basis if it helps

you are a diamond, not got time at the moment but i promise ill be back, adrian

NOTE YOU MUST HAVE 10 POSTS MINIMUM TO REPLY TO THIS THREAD
anymore posts here will result in thread being deleted.

THERE IS GOOD POSITIVE INFORMATION WRITTEN ABOVE, please read it but do not reply until yours post count is above 10.

please pm each other gentlmen if you wish to continue your conversation.

many thanks

hi john adrian here, cant thank you enough for this.
let me outline my position, 6129 carried out with olci,(brilliant)now got my 6089 portfolio to fulfill, i am self employed as a handyman not doing to badly,firstly i do not have anyone to call my workplace recorder as i am a one man band. spoken to olci, they said this is okay as long as i provide evidance for all work to be included in the portfolio and have at least 4 site visits from the assessors and probably take some extra oral questioning on any tasks completed without the assessor present.
I dont Get that many plumbing jobs but i have a few big jobs to do in around march april time of which i will be notifying olci about and organise a site visit. mean while i will be recording all plumbing activities until these big jobs come around. but the problem i have mostly is how the hell do you fill out the portfolio its like a bloody insurance document. Done a small job today, little old lady said she had a leak in her airing cupboard, turned out to be a stop tap fitted to the feed of her shower and was leaking at the spindle and packing gland, isolated feed sorted tap job done, customer very happy only took 1/2 hour, HOW DO I PUT THIS INTO MY PORTFOLIO?????cheer s

hi john adrian here, cant thank you enough for this.
let me outline my position, 6129 carried out with olci,(brilliant)now got my 6089 portfolio to fulfill, i am self employed as a handyman not doing to badly,firstly i do not have anyone to call my workplace recorder as i am a one man band. spoken to olci, they said this is okay as long as i provide evidance for all work to be included in the portfolio and have at least 4 site visits from the assessors and probably take some extra oral questioning on any tasks completed without the assessor present.
I dont Get that many plumbing jobs but i have a few big jobs to do in around march april time of which i will be notifying olci about and organise a site visit. mean while i will be recording all plumbing activities until these big jobs come around. but the problem i have mostly is how the hell do you fill out the portfolio its like a bloody insurance document. Done a small job today, little old lady said she had a leak in her airing cupboard, turned out to be a stop tap fitted to the feed of her shower and was leaking at the spindle and packing gland, isolated feed sorted tap job done, customer very happy only took 1/2 hour, HOW DO I PUT THIS INTO MY PORTFOLIO?????cheer s

You fill it out like this, please have your 6089 portfolio handy as you will be following what i have written -

look at your maintenace task at the back. you will notice a list of jobs. the job that you done will fall under leak in system pipework, which is under maint 2 list. you will also need to fill out the address and dates and description of what you did. so - repaired leak to iso valve would be surfice.

if you then find the start of the maint 2 section it will have fault 1 on it. you will be required to fill out the pages 'job record to be counter signed by workplace recorder' tick the boxes needed. so you will tick box cold water and then leak in system pipework. you will then answer from the staements in each box which is the criteria you need to meet to pass the assessment.
so if you imagin they are asking you 'How di you?' for each box, you will answer as needed.
a good couple of sentances will be enough.

if you then turn the page, you will see where you need to put the photo. which must have you in it.

you will then need to get this sighned by a qulified plumber who you have designated as you workplace recored. please see the fron of the portfolio for details, it should be page 7.

hope this helps and makes sense??

EAS Mechanical (co.uk)

thanks for the explanation, however if i am to take a photo of the problem and it is in a confined space how am i going to get on the photo, plus i am self employed and have not got a workplace recorder.

thanks for the explanation, however if i am to take a photo of the problem and it is in a confined space how am i going to get on the photo, plus i am self employed and have not got a workplace recorder.

They will accept a couple of photos where you are not able to be in them. This is where the Oral Questioning will come into effect.

Speak to your Assessor assigned to discuss the WPR problem.

i have not long finished my level 2 folder, currently level 3 - and 2 jobs will not cover it - i did 12 jobs, you need to complete tracking and this is way to broad to be covered in 2 jobs unless it was a complete house. you have to give evidence of using things like ladders scaffolding, different brackets, pumps, heating - different types of systems, vented and unvented, so even though you may have tro prove you can change a rad - you need to do it on different systems.

your bathroom is ok good job, but what is the system? is the cold tank fed or mains?. Im asking this becasue they will want to see whether you can drain or work on a tank fed whether you have experience with different systems etc.

people think a level 2 can be gained with a couple of jobs but its a lot more than that - im doing it through a proper college day release, even though im 30 i made sure ive done this the proper way - i dont want to be getting to end of my level 3 and trying to get employed and looked down apon as one of the quick fix crew. And im sure they will be able to tell by looking at your nvq portfolio.

thanks very much guys, all your help is very much appreciated.

would the job i described not also fall under maint 1 stop valve, if so can i referance this job to maint 1 stop valve.

i have not long finished my level 2 folder, currently level 3 - and 2 jobs will not cover it - i did 12 jobs, you need to complete tracking and this is way to broad to be covered in 2 jobs unless it was a complete house. you have to give evidence of using things like ladders scaffolding, different brackets, pumps, heating - different types of systems, vented and unvented, so even though you may have tro prove you can change a rad - you need to do it on different systems.

your bathroom is ok good job, but what is the system? is the cold tank fed or mains?. Im asking this becasue they will want to see whether you can drain or work on a tank fed whether you have experience with different systems etc.

people think a level 2 can be gained with a couple of jobs but its a lot more than that - im doing it through a proper college day release, even though im 30 i made sure ive done this the proper way - i dont want to be getting to end of my level 3 and trying to get employed and looked down apon as one of the quick fix crew. And im sure they will be able to tell by looking at your nvq portfolio.

What college is this then?
what do you mean by different brackets?
you dont need to work on pumps at level two! also, do you mean unvented hot water or a sealed heating system.

Hows your level three going?

thanks very much guys, all your help is very much appreciated.

would the job i described not also fall under maint 1 stop valve, if so can i referance this job to maint 1 stop valve.

Yes you can,

you need to choose one or other as you cant claim two things from one job on the maintenance tasks.

im at deeside college mate.

city and guilds nvq level 2 6088-01
heating and vent (similar course to the plumbing no lead work.

summit skills candidate details and portfolio evidence tracking document....

element 4.1
range 10b system components and controls (i have used an example of installing pumps in a underfloor heating circuit)

also element 4.1
10 a give evidence of working on an unvented although not allowed to install unvented until level 3 you are required to know how to work on the system, installing rads drain down etc etc. i could teach someone in 10 minutes to install a rad but to do it safely on different systems as they are invariably going to have to do in the real world is a different question!

brackets/clips - stand off clips, nailed, 4" brackets for soil pipes etc etc. i was mearly pointing out to cover the range in my nvq it wouldnt of been possible....

i find it hard to belive anyone could pass a nvq on a couple of jobs - unless they were full house refurbs!!!

i had to do 2 jobs on soil stacks to cover the different types - maybe i have gone into too much detail but i wont accept someone should be given a nvq level 2 without experiencing to some point everything in the summit skills tracking docs. one job i had to do was to fit a storm shield using cat ladders on a roof.

one or two bathroom jobs will not cover all of a nvq level 2. and anyone assessing it should be more forceful on this you are basically giving someone the right to go and carry out work the nvq level 2 covers, not set up on there own and blag there way through jobs and eventually over running this industry with half trained tradesmen. lowering prices and creating unsafe installations - no dis respect to original poster this is not meant towards you, just the ease at which a nvq level 2 can be gained.

my level 3 is going quite well mate thanks for your concern, level 2 folder was completed in a year but there was a lot to learn and the tracking of the evidence took some time to complete no way on earth it could be done to the standard i thought was acceptable or what should be acceptable in 8 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to nvq 2 criteria coverage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock