Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Not sure how to connect shower tray to waste pipe in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. falable

falable New Member

hi, i'm a beginner at this so i dont know some of the basics.
    i bought a flexible waste connector and assumed i could simply screw it onto the shower tray waste. It seems like the ends are the same type, and i still dont understand how male and female works.

IMG_20190522_173143.jpg sorry if this doesnt make much sense, its my first time doing some plumbing. IMG_20190522_173130.jpg

2. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Hard pipe it

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. falable

falable New Member

could you explain that in dummy terms, please?

4. Riley

Don’t use a flexible pipe it will clog. Use 1.5” pipe and solvent weld fittings

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. falable

falable New Member

okay i'll do that, but which fitting would be suitable for it? would a straight connector fit over the threads of the tray waste?

6. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

That flexi looks the wrong way round to me. But I've never used one as they sag and get full of crud. So like riley has said hard pipe it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Riley

I suspect that that waste fitting under the shower is a compression fitting and you can slide pipe straight into it and tighten it in place

• Like Like x 1
  8. snowhead

snowhead Plumber

The shower waste trap should have a nut and seal, same as the end of the flexi.
    A solid pipe will then fit into it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

You have your flexi the wrong way round the plain end goes to the shower tray waste. The big knuckle or nut end goes on to a plain bit of 40mm waste pipe that goes into your obtuse or 45degree joint that is near the wall and two copper pipes to the left of your picture.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. falable

falable New Member

yep, i'll be doing just that! thanks!

11. falable

falable New Member

yeah, i've decided to remove the flexi and use straight pipe instead, thanks~

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

Using solvent weld pipe and fittings would be better, as you are using a riser tray this should give you access to achieve this , failing that the flexi could be turned around. Kop

• Like Like x 1
  13. Toby emery

Toby emery New Member

Did it not come with. 45’ bend and washer and nut? Normally they do

14. falable

falable New Member

i got the cheapest tray i could find so not expecting much, also i solved it using a flexi waste connector. i know its not the best method, but i've run out of time and effort

15. Riley

Good thing we gave you the advice not to use a flexible then :rolleyes: