Discuss Noob question - how to remove this tap handle? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

This is undoubtedly a dumb question, but I can't get this tap handle off. I'd assumed the little insert disk would pop out but it doesn't want to. So what am I doing wrong?
https://i.*********/LAyqoHy.jpg

Alum key? The problem is the inset is domed and jammed in. Trying to insert a thin jeweler's screwdriver down the edge is scraping off the chrome plating and damaging the tap. Is there some kind of technique to this? Just pulling the head doesn't do anything (as someone suggested - sorry, no idea what "Peglers" are.)

Alum key? The problem is the inset is domed and jammed in. Trying to insert a thin jeweler's screwdriver down the edge is scraping off the chrome plating and damaging the tap. Is there some kind of technique to this? Just pulling the head doesn't do anything (as someone suggested - sorry, no idea what "Peglers" are.)

"Pegler" is a manufacturer of plumbing parts and taps - one of the major British manufacturers.

OK - you tried to pull the top off, probably wise not to overdo trying that! Do you know what make of tap you have (it might help)?

Thanks - sorry no idea what make the tap is - fitted by someone else and can't see a brand mark anywhere. (As for Peglers - yep, but what is a set of them?!) Am now going to apply WD40 to see if that can work its magic.

Sorry. but this tap handle does NOT pull off.
It's held on by a hex grub screw (generally 5mm) accessed through the plug you cannot remove.
Unf SR5A you're going to have to use your ingenuity to remove it. Try a stanley knife blade.

OK - thanks for input - and encouragement. It's off. The plug was a little plastic insert that took some prising but it eventually came out. Then the screw was accessible and that came out easily enough. The handle was very firmly wedged onto the stem, but with WD40, tapping lightly with a hammer and a lot of prising it eventually loosened and came off. What a palaver. Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions!

Drop of grease or vaseline on the spindle when reassembling (and the screw) maybe, to make it easier next time?

Glad you figured it out :)

Drop of grease or vaseline on the spindle when reassembling (and the screw) maybe, to make it easier next time?

Glad you figured it out :)

Tim. One should not put grease or vaseline onto plastic parts because over time it makes them swell or break down as they are all hydrocarbon derivatives. Grease them by all means, but ONLY use silicone grease as it's inert. :)

Thanks for the tip - this is great. Now finally - a follow-up question. I chewed up the edges of the hot/cold indicator collars when I prised the handles off - couldn't really avoid it, because they're only soft polythene, and they are no longer made by Bristan (who have been very helpful in identifying the tap). Does anyone know of a secret source of obscure discontinued bits of Bristan taps? I haven't found anyone on eBay or Google, but maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing.

Reply to Noob question - how to remove this tap handle? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back