Search the forum,

Discuss Non-Return Valve Question. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Sometime in the past someone has fitted a non-return valve into the feed pipe for a bath tap in a house I've recently purchased. The tap is just a single 'bib' type tap as opposed to a mixer. I'm fine with the principal of a non-return as I worked with hydraulics for many years but am struggling to work out why you would want to prevent a backflow in a single pipe with just a tap on the end? Does it prevent air being drawn in if the bath tap is on and then another cold tap is opened elsewhere or is there another reason? There's a combi-boiler installed just in case that makes any difference?

Thanks chaps.

tap below the spill level?

Not below the spill level no, in fact definitely not now as I've taken the bath out to fit a shower cubicle :) I've removed the non-return and capped the pipe until I install a mixer shower etc. Just couldn't establish why it was fitted to begin with.

Reply to Non-Return Valve Question. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, All was good until one day the hot water suddenly started running quite a lot cooler. Putting my hand on the output at the boiler it's still hot there so I'm guessing there's a problem with cold water feeding into the hot water somewhere along the line. I have mixer taps on two...
Replies
Views
We have had an ongoing issue with low hot water temperatures in a school. During the recent repair of a leak, the plumbers isolated the hot water to fit a new bit of pipework and found that water wouldn't stop running until the cold boosted water was also isolated. Given this, it would seem...
Replies
Views
I need to replace the double-check/non-return valve on the pipe that goes out to the back garden tap under the sink. I got the correct replacement part, but I am not sure actually how to remove the original non-return valve on the pipe. When I loosen the two nuts, it can slide a bit back and...
Replies
Views
The discharge hose from our washing machine comes out of the machine, runs about five feet along the floor under the work surface and then goes vertically up under the sink where it joins the sink discharge pipe. Every time we empty the sink, the water often goes back down the hose and even...
Replies
Views
I'm in a bit of a bind with a current CH install where I need to install a filter prior to a flush but no where to install My issue is the return on the combi (ideal 35) runs directly behind the boiler then up through the ceiling so I have no clearance to even attempt to snake it out to fit a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock