Discuss Noisy Baxi Platinum Combi 28 HE in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're experiencing a loud noisy boiler which is doing a cycle of heating up really quickly, making this noise in the video and switching off after a minute or two as seen in the video. Then about 5-10 mins later fires up and repeats the process.

I've bled all the heaters (there was air in one upstairs), topped up the boiler. I should mention our gas bill came to £80 this month which is double what our previous much larger apartment (big lossy windows etc) with underfloor heating was.
The radiators are set to 2.5 in the video but the noise goes away if you put one or two of the heaters to full.. which obviously isn't great as the house becomes rather toasty!

It's a small 2 bedroom rented house (6 wall radiators) that we moved into this summer, the landlord was the previous person to live here and he was only here for about 1/3 of the year as he works abroad. Maybe lack of use?

Any idea what might be causing this before i contact the landlord.

I would contact the landlord

Do you know when it was last serviced?

And anyone touching the boiler ask them for there gas safe card

First thought is the boiler has restricted flow on the heating pipework either due to faulty trv’s or simply not enough radiators on the system. You should have at least one radiator without a thermostatic head, turned on fully to allow the boiler somewhere to go to get rid of the heat/pump energy. Commonly known as a heat sink. I had a similar job once where they had trv’s on every radiator. Your hearing the pump trying to push through almost closed valves. We rectified it by fitting a massive chrome towel rail, as they were having the bathroom done anyway.

Failing that could be the bearings on the fan or the pump.

You should have at least one radiator without a thermostatic head, turned on fully to allow the boiler somewhere to go to get rid of the heat/pump energy. Commonly known as a heat sink. I had a similar job once where they had trv’s on every radiator. Your hearing the pump trying to push through almost closed valves. We rectified it by fitting a massive chrome towel rail

Surely that is just a massive waste of energy ie gas.. my bill is already double what it was in another much larger place.. never had to do this in any other property..

The heat sink radiator works with the room thermostat, its usually in the coldest room or area of the house so the heat isn't wasted, a towel rail for eg is usually drying towels. Rather than turning all the thermostatic valves down you should use the room thermostat to achieve a comfortable temperature through out the house, every house is different so this will take some getting used to. Start at around 18 degrees and go from there. You can also try turning the radiator dial on the boiler down, this will lower the maximum central heating temperature and may decrease the noise, but the house will take longer to heat up.

The reason I thought of this is you said the noise stops when you open a thermostatic valve.

There is no room thermostat.. runs purely off the timer or always on.
I had thought about getting a Nest thermostat but obviously id have to run this by the landlord.

Is boiler fitted on a plasterboard wall ? poss pump bearings starting to wear, when was boiler last serviced ?

No wall thermostat is your first thing to sort as that's a big reason for your inefficiency

Just before we moved in, so around June or July. I'll check the paperwork.

No wall thermostat is your first thing to sort as that's a big reason for your inefficiency
I will speak to my landlord about that, as i personally found it strange it didn't have one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noisy Baxi Platinum Combi 28 HE in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back