Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss No less than 18 mb inlet point in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Are you the only gas safe person in the company?

2. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

There's one other guy and he said it's ok too but I prefer asking your advise. 3 weeks today I'm going out on my own!

3. KingDoey

KingDoey Plumber GSR

Correct me if i am wrong chaps but is this not AR? The boiler clearly has undersized pipework? Worcester allow 2.5 mbar from meter to inlet on gasvalve.

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Aslong as it doesn't adjust the figures out of spec they say it's fine down to 14.5 mbar

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Unless you can find anything to the contrary, undersized pipework is only the old NCS. Unless it is proved to be affecting the safety of any appliance, in which case it is ID. So either poor combustion resulting in CO to a room, or burner outage on, say, a cooker ring, when the boiler kicks in

6. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

I'm getting confused now... if Worcester says 14.5 mb at the inlet and the gas meter working pressure 19mb. From meter and gas inlet valve is greater than 2.5 mb drop.

7. AWheating

AWheating Trusted Plumber GSR

Think worcester say 16.5 mb. 19 at meter minus 1mb on pipe work minus 1.5 on gas line of appliance. 14.5 mb on sum ideals I believe.

In this situation always test hob on low flame and turn hot water/ boiler on full rate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. johnduffell

johnduffell Member

Good idea, would be worth testing the hob with 3 rings on high and one on min, just to be on the safe side.

9. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

I can't thank you guys enough for your helpful advise

10. kasser

kasser GSR

To continue with this pipe-sizing thread, isn't it highly likely the pipework will be undersized if it is a 22 mm pipe from the meter feeding several appliances throughout the house?

I've just come across a house with the meter at the front and the boiler and hob at the back and the 22 mm pipe at meter was undersized by my calculations and also after measuring the pressure drop.

Another property I've seen was a meter at the front + 2 small fires + gas hob + gas oven + non-condensing boiler with a 22 mm pipe from the meter to feed all this. Kitchen & boiler were at the back. Thinking back now, this would have been severely undersized?

Last e.g: meter in outhouse, hob + boiler on 3rd floor flat, 22 mm pipe from meter to feed this. So if pipework was undersized in the first e.g, it's most likely going to be severely undersized here?

Yet you rarely see 28 mm pipe from the meter in houses.

11. dween

dween New Member

16.5 on pretty much all worcesters

12. kris

kris Trusted Plumber GSR

He's only got 4m of 22mm plus 4 bends so 6m of 22copper. Having 22mm copper gives you press absorb of 0.4mbar so absolutely fine for gas rate of 3.35m3 so you pressure drop must be @ gas valve / inlet .
    But just thinking if you've a hob then your missing hob output and tee piece etc.
    Inverness what's the total length of copper as Well as how many gas appliances etc