Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss No less than 18 mb inlet point in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

hi guys. Serviced a boiler today at the meter working pressure 21mb and the boiler 16.5mb. But Worcester say 14 mb at the boiler? Any road 4.5mb drop across the pipework undersized. But my reading ratios where good.
    Worcester 37 cdi combi. Cheers

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Length and size ?

3. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

22mm pipe about 4meters and 4x22mm bends. I think this boiler requires 3.9 cubic meters of gas an hour. Co2 max 9.7 min 9.3 I'm happy with that. At the meter I run boiler at max and got 21mb. I then attached u gauge at inlet point of boiler 16.5mb at max. I'm now doubting my ability. I'm correct in this order?

4. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

1mb on pipewrk and 1.5 through gas valve
    pipework undersizred or a blockage

• Like Like x 1
  5. ShaunCorbs

I would say check the inlet of the gas valve

6. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

With it working at max?

7. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Any other appliances

8. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

I was thinking you are only allowed to have 1mb drop between meter and appliance. Am I mixing something right ?

9. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Correct
    some boiles have a loss through internal pipe and gas valve

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

For a test point, just before the boiler and test again. Bet it’s better.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

In worse case situation when you come across a service and the pipe size is too small. What do you do notifiy the client that it's required upgrading or contact gas supplier to tweet the incoming supply.

12. ShaunCorbs

cant tweek incoming as its acceptable

depends if it effects gas rate if not juts advise if it does follow the rulings

13. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Problem with things like this when boiler has been in place for some time and as far as customer is concerned the boiler is working OK is trying to convince them that they need gas supply upgrading most will look at cost & disruption involved, you know they wont get it done, if you push them it will be the last time you do any work for them and will take there custom elsewhere, Unless its ID not a lot you can do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Pipe Size sounds OK.
    As above, check for a blockage in the Gas Valve filter/or pipe work.
    If the filter has Copper Sulphide in it, you may need to clear the pipework too. As that stuff builds up it can heavily restrict the Flow of Gas.
    A lot of modern Boilers have a 'bigger than you'd expect' drop from the pipe connection to the Gas valve test point.
    To be honest, if its Gas rate is good, pipework and filter is clear and it doesn't effect any other appliances I wouldn't worry about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

Thank you very much guys you'd have push my ability on to another level. I didn't pass my gas through the help of my employer you guys did it especially thank you too Shaun I wouldn't be where I am because of you. If I could buy you all a pint every time I've needed help I'd be a poor man especially when I'm only getting £8.50 per hour. Thanks I hopefully will continue to pester you guys from time to time with stupid questions.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1