Search the forum,

Discuss No cold water in the upstairs bathrooms possible airlock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys

I'm after some advice. Last weekend out cold water taps in the 2 bathrooms upstairs started to drizzle then the water completely stopped. Called out a plumber, whos said there was an airlock. He did something under the kitchen sink which then seemed to bring the water back. Also replace something in the loft tank. Since he did his repairs we could hear alot of water sounds every time a tap was turned on. Also all 3 toilets are constantly dripping water into the toilet bowl.

A week later cold water upstairs has stopped working again. The toilets flush fine and hot water is ok too. We have checked the tank in the loft which is full so that isn't the problem. What could it be and is there an easy fix?

I suspect you have been using water in the tank in the loft quicker than the mains can replace it therefore allowing air into your pipework. Do you have a shower pump or similar? You may need a replacement ball valve on your tank in the loft or potentially a larger tank for your requirements

Hi Riley

Thanks for your reply. Yes we have a shower pump. There's only 2 of us living in the house and we've been here for a year so I don't think our usage has increased for that to happen. We do have a shower pump on connected to the en suite which is working fine. It's just the cold taps upstairs which aren't working.

I think it was the ball valve which the plumber replaced last weekend up in the loft tank.

Ask him if he replaced it or just unblocked it it sounds to me like your loft tank is emptying quicker that can be filled

Thanks Riley

He definitely replaced it as he charged us for a new part.

So if they tank is full in the loft and no water is coming through the taps there's an airlock caused from the tank not filling up quick enough from the mains I'm assuming? Looks like this is going to be a job for the professionals!

I can’t tell you where it is I don’t live there ;)
Commonly under kitchen sink. Is it fully open? Previous plumber may have turned off the water to replace the ball valve and then subsequently not opened it back up

I suspect that you will find this is just coincidence. Did the water come out of Hot or cold tap??? Opening the stopcock fully just means your tank can fill at its quickest capability. Your problem is really twofold one is getting rid of the airlock two is preventingit coming back. All I have suggested so far is a means to prevent the problem happening again

Yes that's right which then feeds into the hot water tank in the airing cupboard (Sorry I'm female with lack of plumbing knowledge so my answers might make you laugh)

Get the plumber back to clear the airlock and ask him to check if the mains feed to the CWS has an isolating valve and if it does - to replace it with a full bore one.

Reply to No cold water in the upstairs bathrooms possible airlock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock