Search the forum,

Discuss No cold water in bathroom after changing toilet? Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am never abusive. I may be curt and to the point and often humorous but never abusive.
Get off your high horse and lighten up.

Every Sunday night and only Sunday night, I've asked for an extension tonight, from 10.00 to 10.30 feeling a bit more fruity than normal........

Think you need a bit of what secret squirrel is looking maybe help you chill out a bit
Being highly strung not good for you mate

I don't know why i'm humouring you but i'll play along only to highlight how petty you're being and how clueless you are about the runnings of a plumbing business.

Do you tell the customer that your going to scrap copper in?
If they ask. It's their scrap until they allow me to take it.
Do you charge customer the same for materials as you get them for and put petrol on bill instead?
No because the cost of petrol doesn't cover the time taken to spec the materials, the knowledge i've built up of what's suitable/most cost effective, the effect supplying the materials has on my cashflow, the fact that the price I pay is the product of years of built up discount or the guarantee I extend to the materials I supply.

Do you tell the customer that the boiler your installing is free because you have bought so many boilers from them that you get one free?
Why on earth would I do that? If I were to be given a free boiler it's a perk from putting years worth of business though a single supplier. What claim does a new customer have on that?

I suspect i've been trolled here.

You think people are rude asking another member if he would steal £2k if he saw it on a table or whatever you think that's not rude lol wise up jase

Well I think we've all learned a valuable lesson about airlocks, blockages, DIY, rudeness, running businesses, the secretive and cliqey organisation that is The Plumbers Arms, theft, dishonesty, love, hate, war and knockers.

I think now we can at last say we've come to a conclusion. Everyone is in agreement and all scores have been settled.

And so finally we can...

What's that....the OP's plumber didn't turn up? And he still has an airlock...?

We have also learnt that the squirrel is onto more than 2 shakes and a shudder.....self edited incase jase take offence:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you tell the customer that your going to scrap copper in?
Do you charge customer the same for materials as you get them for and put petrol on bill instead?
Do you tell the customer that the boiler your installing is free because you have bought so many boilers from them that you get one free?

It's been an interesting read, but with regard to your points above, do you run your own business?

With scrap, yes it's the customers and so is all the non value waste.

Materials, for me anyway, are always +20%. I'm running a business not a charity, I have to pick it up and if it breaks within 12 months the supplier will replace it free of charge but odds on they won't pay my time to replace it.

If I was lucky enough to receive a free boiler, doubt it as oil ones don't come cheap, I would still charge it out. It's a perk for me and not a customer.

Yes people can be blunt and straight to the point, myself included, but bullying and being rude the mods won't allow it. Been there and got the t-shirt.

Anyway lets lighten things up, did you manage to sell your van jase?

I'm sure it was you who had the van for sale?

Yes his van and business (although I'm not sure how you sell a one man band business)but not knocking
It worth a try

I am never abusive. I may be curt and to the point and often humorous but never abusive.
Get off your high horse and lighten up.

Never mentioned names and as I say vast majority on here are nice, but handful are not, sorry to pin point "plumbers arms" as not all are the same. some guys on here have a very huge bag of knowledge and are willing to share. I have receieved great advice on here from people and I have also met some really nice people. Just seems like occasionaly there are people on here, simply to be nasty to others.

You think people are rude asking another member if he would steal £2k if he saw it on a table or whatever you think that's not rude lol wise up jase

love the way that people take notice of bits that they want to, what led up to this?

FYI Jase
I have worked with 100's of tradesmen from every part of the building trade over more years than you have lived and i have yeat to meet or even hear of 1 who would pocket as much as a 10p found in anyone's house. Not because they are all 100% honest people, in fact some were among the biggest rouges i have ever met.
Figure that one out.
You have a lot to learn about how genuine tradesmen operate.

Btw you are starting to be abusive now.

Sorry Tamz, thought Hybrid wrote that, sorry didn't mean you, meant hybrid.

We have also learnt that the squirrel is onto more than 2 shakes and a shudder.....self edited incase jase take offence:lol:

I do not take offence at any comments, I am simply sticking up for the public on here who get ripped into for no reason?

When a poster asks for free advice from a tradesman, effectively costing themselves or another plumber a paying gig, they should be a little humble and appreciative of the fact that we do it and in our free time. As it happens the OP saw the sense in getting a plumber in but I don't think anyone was particularly rude. If you have such delicate sensibilities then a job in this industry is probably not a good fit.

Some of us work 7.30am till 9pm trying to navigate the minefield that is penny pinching, deceitful "customers", merchants trying it on, quoting for free for jobs you don't get because the customer always goes with the cheapest, being robbed at the petrol pump and so on and so on.
Giving advice for free is something we do out of kindness, is not an obligation.

Sorry if you take offence to this but you won't make it as a plumber being so soft. If you are serious about being a plumber start looking at this as your industry too. It's a business, not a public service.

And this post is polite?

Personally speaking when I'm alone in a customers house doing the bathroom while everyone's at work/school I'm completely trustworthy and just stay in the bathroom all day. The thought of snooping through bedrooms and drawers repulses me let alone steal anything.

I mean they must thrust us otherwise we wouldn't be there alone?

I'm sure only the lowest of the low of even the cowboys would even consider it?

If you can't grasp this then you'll never make it in any walk of life. My mortgage being paid relies on people paying me for my knowledge and expertise. With the free distribution of information afforded by the internet my (and your) pool of work is shrinking.
Not knowing how to do something is no longer and obstacle for the diyer. Now our customers consist of those too busy, too lazy and physically incapable of doing the work.

Our knowledge allows me to cloth and feed my children. That being said I will still give someone a little advice if asked. You think that person shouldn't show some appreciation? Wow.

I don't know why you're making out the members with access to the plumber's arms are some kind of arrogant, elitist bully because they're not. They're just professional plumbers.
You can't swear on the forum but you can be direct and honest with someone. Whether they have a tantrum or not is another matter.

Plumbing is and always has been a business, I take it seriously as all plumbers should. I'll help another plumber if, and only if, his customer base doesn't overlap with mine. Likewise i'll see a member of the public pay another hard working plumber to do a job before I hold their hand through it and no-one gets paid.
If it's a hobby for you then great, just don't preach to the people who are walking the walk. It's a bloody hard game and i'm not in it for fun, social consciense be damned.

As for your last post, all I can say is you display an absolutely shocking naivety which will evaporate in the first year of trading if you manage to make it that far. I just hope you don't have a family relying on you to make a living out of being a tradesman because they'll starve.

and he gets politer

Personally speaking when I'm alone in a customers house doing the bathroom while everyone's at work/school I'm completely trustworthy and just stay in the bathroom all day. The thought of snooping through bedrooms and drawers repulses me let alone steal anything.

My point wasn't that he is a thief, but that money is more important to him then his morals, think I didnt get point across here.

The point is that although some tradesmen in their personal lives, would steal the sugar out your tea, they all know when they are at work they have to be 110% trustworthy.
Their job is their livelyhood. It pays their mortgage and gives them a steady income. 1 fk up would mean they never worked in the trade again and would loose it all. No one anywhere would ever employ them again as the word would be spread quicker than a wildfire. Companies cannot risk their reputation being tarnished by anyone.

Some do however, steal other tradesmens tools or anything on the job that isn't nailed down but that is a different thing from clients and customers.

Light has broken and the mind rewinds.

Will these people change just because I have shown my disgust at their behaviour, NO
Will this make any difference to these peoples behaviour on this Forum? NO
Will I make any friends from it? probably not.

Was It worth It? Definetly not.

Oh well, back to putting food on the table and paying bills.

sounds like an air lock.if you have hot water in the bathroom and a mixer tap place your hand over the spout open the handle in the mid position and hold it for 5-10 mins. this will force the air out if the toilet dosent start filling while doing this the valve is broken and will need changing first. Also very important water will be hot if cylinder is up to temp. so worth letting it cool down first.

sounds like an air lock.if you have hot water in the bathroom and a mixer tap place your hand over the spout open the handle in the mid position and hold it for 5-10 mins. this will force the air out if the toilet dosent start filling while doing this the valve is broken and will need changing first. Also very important water will be hot if cylinder is up to temp. so worth letting it cool down first.

It's an air lock in the cold. Using hot water at the same pressure will have no help

The guy has now got someone to fix this problem, so it's best to now wait until he posts back and lets us know what the problem actually was.

Light has broken and the mind rewinds.

Will these people change just because I have shown my disgust at their behaviour, NO
Will this make any difference to these peoples behaviour on this Forum? NO
Will I make any friends from it? probably not.

Was It worth It? Definetly not.

Oh well, back to putting food on the table and paying bills.

You said your piece and spoke your mind, so it was worth it. Too many people agree just to keep in with each other these days, at least you had the balls to be different.
I agree with a lot you say, about rudeness. It's not on. After all we all learn to just get on with our work without answering back to a rude customer, so why should this forum be any different?

1st of all I thanks for all the posts went completely off the rails at 1 point though. Big up jase. Everything is fine now hose pipe trick sorted it and the plumber didn't Evan
Charge me as he gets a good deal of copper and boilers at work! So to everyone on
That being helpful and giving advice and a favour for a favour and all that?
Clearly for me I looked after him he looked after me? I'd already mentioned to him
About the block and as soon as I answered the door he's got a hosepipe ready?
He's just going to quote for the kitchen now 2 . So maybe everybody here has learned something ? I just can't work out what it is?

The moral of this is......all's well that ends well!

No more flame wars please. Everyone both old and young, experienced and inexperienced learns a great deal from each other on this forum about PLUMBING issues. Let's keep our posts on topic and helpful.

its worked for me in the past just trying to help

I'm not saying your wrong. But in this instance, the cold pipe is air locked. Not the hot.

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No cold water in bathroom after changing toilet? Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock