Search the forum,

Discuss Newly fitted toilet keeps blocking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Can't beat a bog in a box with a deep pan hole for getting no2 away. Some modern toilets are only designed for small turds.
Just bought two from homebase, £45.00 each and I know they will flush away because I have 6 others. Saves cleaning etc after every dump as they flush down clean every time alot of designer stuff is crap. no floaters left with these bog in a box bog pans. We used to get thro loads of asda bog brushes at the holiday lets then I re fitted
happy...CLEAN...days
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Armitage, you may be aware but if not, - when reassembling make sure you run a bead of fairy liquid round any rubber connecting boot otherwise they can get pushed out of place and cause a problem.

Armitage, you may be aware but if not, - when reassembling make sure you run a bead of fairy liquid round any rubber connecting boot otherwise they can get pushed out of place and cause a problem.
Hi thanks for the heads up on that.:) Being a stickler for following instructions I just did what it said in the instruction leaflet that came with the McAlpine joint. It said use water to wet the rubber, that's what I did and the joint seemed to assemble ok but maybe washing up liquid might have saved all this hassle, who knows.

Excellent rob, try telling the tw*ts in the swanky showroom as they attempt to sucker some mug into an £800 bog.

In all honesty the £45 is better.
Yes, its a bit like designer clothes isn't it? You can buy a perfectly decent tee shirt for not a lot of money or pay £50 or more for a designer label. The toilet I got was chosen by the missus because she liked the look of it and was nowhere near £800. I had a narrow escape as it was, cos originally she wanted a fully shrouded one. Fleck knows how I would have fitted that given the space restrictions.

Quite often get asked to swap a newley installed toilet for a different one that flushes better trouble is they don't give flow figures for pans so getting one is tricky tend to have a look at the pan to see how big the pan catchment areas like before buying

Quite often get asked to swap a newley installed toilet for a different one that flushes better trouble is they don't give flow figures for pans so getting one is tricky tend to have a look at the pan to see how big the pan catchment areas like before buying
What is "the pan catchment area"? Is it the hole where the poop and pee disappears into or is it the total surface area of the pan itself?

Never had problems with these from screwfix with fluidmaster internals not the prettiest but works well

Screenshot_20190721-203116_Samsung Internet.jpg

Personally I NEVER put lube on the pan connector/spigot connection- as mentioned above it can ‘pop’ off (obviously won’t if physically restrained).

I do however usually lube the inside of the 4”, sachet of Vaseline with multikwik’s - which are my go to favourites.

Flexis are thin, often a diy fit without the correct fall throughout their length and are very thin and light gets in...so ratty and his mates come up your drain to pay you a visit at night...see light and eat their way into you gaff...this does not phase big boys I just shoot them ...air pistol is sufficient or the dog but females get spooked
cannot think why
thats why flexies are not the best solution but I have been known to use them in tight situations...centralheatking needs must and the devil drives

Or douse them in unleaded and throw in a match maybe? Sorry Rob, I couldn't resist.

Its the narrow tight pan holes that work best not the ones with a wide run off area that just collect the poo in my opinion and experience of 60 years doing dumps and owning quite a few houses etc. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Or douse them in unleaded and throw in a match maybe? Sorry Rob, I couldn't resist.
we did that once at uni we knew that James always had a *** whilst doing his sit down in the morning...so the bathroom stank, so we primed it with just enough petrol..he always posted his *** into the pan before he stood up
...BANG ....he never did it again
he he ....centralheatking

OK so I fitted the replacement waste. Couldn't see anything obviously faulty with the old waste. Anyway, cautious thumbs up for now. A number two done and successfully flushed. Even when nothing in the toilet the water now just seems to disappear much more quickly when flushed. Anyway, we shall see what happens over time. Thanks to all who have tried to help.:D

Hopefully fingers crossed it is the pan connector. I have seen this issue a few times by someone not setting the correct water level in the cistern. Or the other one the customer doesn’t realise it’s a duel flush and flushing with reduced water with number 2’s.
Just thought I would mention it if there is still an issue.
Years ago we use to use the Silicone grease for any 4” pipe work or toilet fittings.
As I haven’t done site work for a lot of years and no longer have it in my bag I have since used a small amount of jet blue. It seems to work well. I even do the same with flush cones.

Hopefully fingers crossed it is the pan connector. I have seen this issue a few times by someone not setting the correct water level in the cistern. Or the other one the customer doesn’t realise it’s a duel flush and flushing with reduced water with number 2’s.
Just thought I would mention it if there is still an issue.
Years ago we use to use the Silicone grease for any 4” pipe work or toilet fittings.
As I haven’t done site work for a lot of years and no longer have it in my bag I have since used a small amount of jet blue. It seems to work well. I even do the same with flush cones.
Thanks for your interest. The toilet now flushes normally so it is obvious the waste connection was the problem. As I said much earlier in the thread when I first fitted the toilet the waste output from the toilet didn't quite reach the plastic waste input so I used a small extension. It appears this was just too much for the flush to deal with so when I replaced that waste setup with a single fitting everything was fine.

Hi to all. I have just signed in because of a plumbing problem. I am a DIYer and have no plumbing qualifications but I do have common sense and follow instructions.
I have recently replaced a close coupled toilet which worked fine with a much more modern looking one which seems to clog up if anyone does a number two. The poop always disappears but then the toilet takes a long while for the water to drain when flushed so it is a partial blockage.
When I fitted the pan the spigot did not quite reach the plastic waste outlet which is the one that looks like a periscope. My local plumber sold me a small extension so I could connect the spigot to the plastic waste. All seems to work except it keeps blocking.
1. I am wondering if the poo is not quite passing through the extra pipe or getting caught on the joints?
2.Should I go for a flexible connector?
OR
3.I have found that Macalpine do a connector that is slightly longer at the top which might fit my toilet without the need for the extra joint.
4.None of the above?
By the way the flush mechanism is properly set up (followed instructions)
and the flush appears to be nice

Last edited:
Clogging is the number one cause of toilets flooding in many homes. This is a situation that occurs when the toilet is filled up with the wrong items. Your toilet is designed in a way that it can only accommodate and flush waste and toilet paper. Any other unwanted item may easily clog your toilet drainage system.

Dumping nappies, sanitary products, solid items, and paper towels can easily clog your toilet system leading to water overflow. And even before you start claiming that your toilet overflowing for no reason, clogging can occur in many forms. They include;
  • Clogged toilet bowl – Most of the problems in toilets are as a result of a clog in the toilet bowl. Don’t flush down wrong things that may easily clog the toilet bowl and lead to unnecessary problems.
  • Clogged toilet trap – Most toilets have a toilet trap that helps prevent sewer fumes from going into other rooms and cause terrible smells. It is easy for this trap to get clogged if the wrong products are passed through it.
  • Clogged drain pipes – Flushed water flows into the drain pipes then towards the sewers that have multiple bends that can easily be clogged by wrong items. With time, the water will be flushing slowing and eventually, the issue will become a severe drainage problem.
  • Clogged sanitary sewer – Flushed water from the toilet also drains into the lateral sanitary sewer line that is connected to the main local sewer system. Wrongly drained items usually clog the lateral sanitary system leading to toilet floods or overflow.
There are many ways to unblock a drain:
  1. Use Boiling Water
  2. Use A Hosepipe Or A Hanger
  3. Use Of Coca Cola
  4. Wet And Dry Vacuum
  5. Use Vinegar and Baking Soda

Reply to Newly fitted toilet keeps blocking in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock