Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie question, FGA and servicing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys

I'm currently doing my Gas foundation at college and am going out occasionally with my engineer to build up my portfolio.

I trained in Gas 10 years ago around the same time the recession hit, and I couldn't continue training due to work difficulties etc.

I have a question, last time round when with my engineer we were servicing a boiler, we would strip it down to get to the burner etc. and clean everything out with a brush and vacuum, take the working pressures etc.
This time round when we do services with my Current Engineer, we simply put in the FGA and take readings and clean condense trap basically, sometimes he would do working pressures etc., but not always.

Also, we had a very high FGA reading and he said he will may need to capp off boiler, never even investigated or tried to make adjustments.

Now I'm only training but surely as part of a service where you had high readings you would investigate and try and correct gas valve settings according to MI's etc.

What would you guys do? a room sealed boiler not spilling POC's but with high readings?

Cheers guys

If you are there for a GSLLC (CP12), you may just record the findings. It depends, really,on the instructions from the client, what you personally offer and advertise,and, indirectly, how much you are paid.
If I was doing CP12's for a stupid low fee that seems to be offered, I would do no more than the minimum.But I don't. I offer a proper job, at a proper rate, so my LLGSC would include adjustments to get the readings in line.I would also fill in holes around flues etc- it is often quicker than filling out an AR form!

If you are offering a "service", then, as a minimum,the MIs should be followed. Definitely adjust the gas valve if required, and measure gas rate,or burner pressure if applicable, and check inlet pressure.

To sum up, you are not being trained properly, IMHO.

Is the boiler to which you refer condensing, FF or balanced? The courses of action will vary depending on the type. But a "service engineer"who prefers to cap off rather than attempt to find the fault is not worthy of the title. Don't start your career by following his example

Hi Firemant, The boiler is a ferroli Optimax HE 31C. Condensing boiler.

We were there for a service not LLGSC.
I will be having words with my engineer.

My aim is to go into breakdown and service and not so much install, so I need to learn these things first hand.

Thanks for your reply mate.

TBH it's a low end boiler and depending on age, it's probably gone 5-6 years I would say from a ferroli

But yes you are correct best to strip and clean every 4 years or when your readings start creaping up / out of spec

Hug: have you got a garage or workspace?. If so,try to scrounge dead or old boilers and strip them and their components down, try to workout what everything does. A working gas supply is also useful. It could pay dividends when you are out on your own.

I am obviously not allowed to mention a competitors site, but if you find it, one member has compiled/maintained an amazing array of help. You just need a thick skin as the pis$take is legendary

Firemant,
Been thinking about getting old boilers and tinkering around with them/installing on a jig etc.

Just got to clear out the garage which I've been putting off for months.
This gives me a great excuse to do it I suppose.

Thanks again

I've also been looking at the manufacturers training courses for when I qualify, and another site that I'm not sure if I can say, but does a lot of fault finding courses.

Anybody been on any manufacturers courses?

I've also been looking at the manufacturers training courses for when I qualify, and another site that I'm not sure if I can say, but does a lot of fault finding courses.

Anybody been on any manufacturers courses?

I am now "cards in", and was sent in the new electrical awareness / safe isolation course. Cost my bosses IIRC over £400. For an old hand like me it was a total waste of money.

I can heartily recommend the Baxi 3 day fault finding course. It is not heavily Baxi sales oriented and is well structured. Its aim is to explain the logical steps to fault finding, an is valid for any manufacturer. About £360 (?) for the 3 days. I would say to purchase a decent multi meter BEFORE you attend, as you will use it on the course, and get to grips with it. Go for an auto ranging model

Honeywell is very good, with an excellent lunch :). If you join the Installers club,the day is FOC (at least it was a couple of years ago). If you intend to sort smart controls, they charge you a few hundred for their EvoHome course, but give you products to roughly the same value. (Again, true a couple of years ago).

Before paying Woody, or Mr. Combi, checkout reviews and comments on this site and others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newbie question, FGA and servicing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need someone to replace my boiler, I am thinking to get an Intergas HRE 24 SB. Our current boiler (and old Ideal) is in the kitchen, and we would like to relocate it to the laundry room or loft, so a new gas line needs to be run. I would prefer someone local in Norwich that can also do the...
Replies
Views
Just had a new worcester bosch. 1000 combi boiler to replace 18yr old vokera. No problems with new boiler. Enquiring about yearly maintenance / safety check and service i £19.00. per month, £228 one off yearly payment. It includes parts and labour if needed. As new boiler is under warranty...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
I have an old Modena 80 E combi boiler that is randomly short cycling on windy days. The burner goes out and re-ignites within a few seconds and continues to burn for between five and forty seconds before stopping again. Under normal conditions the boiler works fine but as soon as it gusts over...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Just looking for a bit of advice really. last week we had our carbon monoxide alarm go off upstairs. We have 2 alarms in the house, the other one (downstairs) gave a leak flow history of 17PPM So I got someone in from British Gas, he did lots of combustion and air quality checks...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock