Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie on site....hand tools help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only just started college last month so have plenty time to kit myself out with the most common HAND tools for the most common jobs you guys do on a daily basis, not looking at power tools yet....will get that thread started another time.

One thing I want to do IF possible...and thats a BIG if, is try get as many of my HAND tools that are made right here in the UK, which I know will bump up my costs...this is also assuming that stuff that is still made in the UK is good stuff and not cheaper materials from elsewhere and then built in the UK if that makes sense?

Thats one of the reasons I ordered the benders that was posted earlier in this thread, which arrived today and they look brand new....not a mark on them so probably stripped down and re-painted yellow and changed every nut, roller, guides and the other bit I cant remember the name of right now..haha. £45 delivered seems fair to me...although not used them yet.

Ordered the 7" & 9" footprints (not the thumb version) today seeing as they are well liked on here and also discovered made in the UK as well, these I will take to college and see how the things work compared to the adjustables used there.....Will I still need a set of adjustables or do these footprints cover the same tasks?

So, items to look for that are still made here will most likely be: spanners, pipe cutters, claw hammer and anything else people can suggest.

Plastic waste pipe chamfering tool is a must. Not sure what is best. I have a basic one that is a shaft with an 11/2 " & a 11/4" tool on each end.

Estwing no doubt. Pump pliers, crescent every time. Ther fantastic, tried snap on and all the other brands. Toolman in yardley, mail order they actually exist and there cheap.

Had my gear for a while from memory, hes what i'm rolling with:

Bag - Stanley fat max open tote (lasted over a year so far and still going strong)
Torch - Superfire2
Screw drivers - Wera chisel drivers (really handy when knocking tiles, bricks out etc)
Spanners - 2 pair of 10" Bahco wide jaws, Smaller set of bahcos,
Hacksaw -Bahco ergo
Junior hacksaw - Bahco
Chisels - Draper (pretty **** to be honest)
Wire snips - CK
Hammer - stanley fat max extreme anti vibe (recommended by a few chippys on site)
Level - Stabila boat level
Benders - Hilmor
Pump pliers - Knipex cobra
pipe slices - Kopex
Socket set - Bahco, (got a bargain from suppliers)
Tape measure - Stanley fat max (has lasted about 5x longer than any of my other tapes)
Stillsons - 10" 18" 24" Rigids

I could go on for pages but they are the hand tools I used most that are kept in my bag.

I have only just started college last month so have plenty time to kit myself out with the most common HAND tools for the most common jobs you guys do on a daily basis, not looking at power tools yet....will get that thread started another time.

One thing I want to do IF possible...and thats a BIG if, is try get as many of my HAND tools that are made right here in the UK, which I know will bump up my costs...this is also assuming that stuff that is still made in the UK is good stuff and not cheaper materials from elsewhere and then built in the UK if that makes sense?

Thats one of the reasons I ordered the benders that was posted earlier in this thread, which arrived today and they look brand new....not a mark on them so probably stripped down and re-painted yellow and changed every nut, roller, guides and the other bit I cant remember the name of right now..haha. £45 delivered seems fair to me...although not used them yet.

Ordered the 7" & 9" footprints (not the thumb version) today seeing as they are well liked on here and also discovered made in the UK as well, these I will take to college and see how the things work compared to the adjustables used there.....Will I still need a set of adjustables or do these footprints cover the same tasks?

So, items to look for that are still made here will most likely be: spanners, pipe cutters, claw hammer and anything else people can suggest.

adjustable spanners are a must, bacho make the best. if you want british made you will have to look for second hand or look a manufactures like king dick.

I wanted CK "HD classic" long drivers but they were well too pricey Tamz, any links? :)

Not sure if this is the same screwdrivers your talking about...if they are, then the price seems ok to me????

HD Classic : CK Tool Shop, Buy CK Tools Online

As for King Dick tools, their site suggests that everything is made in the UK but I have just had a set of their 1for6 screwdriver sets delivered today and there is not a mention anywhere on the box or the tools themselves as to being made in the UK.....will say though that they do seem like a very nice set of screwdrivers though, only time will tell if they last long. I looked on one of the suppliers links on King Dicks website PrimeTools.co.uk and done a search of some of the King Dick tools they sell and it seems they list some stuff as being "Made in England" as the link above shows.....but not mentioned on the set I have....got my set elsewhere at a fair price so cant really complain.

Oh forgot to mention.....the Monument pipe cutters and the footprint wrenches (which arrived today too) all have "Made in the UK" written on them.....I was actually surprised by the weight of the footprints, the 9" wrench is nearly 3 times the weight of a cheepy 8" adjustable I had knocking about.

One thing for sure, you'll never break a set of footprints. They will last longer than you will. Just don't loose the bolt :wink:

I buy my CK drivers from a local tool shop. The prices are much the same as those on the link malcky put up. You will pay 5 or 6 quid for any half decent driver.

Not sure if this is the same screwdrivers your talking about...if they are, then the price seems ok to me????

HD Classic : CK Tool Shop, Buy CK Tools Online

As for King Dick tools, their site suggests that everything is made in the UK but I have just had a set of their 1for6 screwdriver sets delivered today and there is not a mention anywhere on the box or the tools themselves as to being made in the UK.....will say though that they do seem like a very nice set of screwdrivers though, only time will tell if they last long. I looked on one of the suppliers links on King Dicks website PrimeTools.co.uk and done a search of some of the King Dick tools they sell and it seems they list some stuff as being "Made in England" as the link above shows.....but not mentioned on the set I have....got my set elsewhere at a fair price so cant really complain.

Cheers mate. That is cheap! I saw them ages ago on a tool site for about £20 each!

I ended up getting a Rothy twin pack (flatty & pozi) with 300mm shafts for about £8 on offer.

I do prefer the ck hd classic though, tough and wipe clean. (for working in labs and hospital theatres etc)

TAMZ,dont know where abouts in scotland you are from but bills tool store in glasgow sells replacement bolts for both sizes of footprints for a couple of bucks. would imagine you would get them in other places as well

I know. Good shop that. Thats where i spent most of my wages when i was young :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newbie on site....hand tools help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock