Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Newbie Help Please re renovating bathroom in my new flat. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Tryinghard

Tryinghard New Member

We have just purchased a small ( 47 sq mtr) one bedroom 2nd floor , centrally situated retirement flat in town centre. Purpose built block in 1998 - original heating/water system. No gas.
    The flat has two old and ugly yellowing ! original storage heaters , one in bedroom and one in lounge - Creda Slimline combi. The heating has been Economy 7 tariff. There is a large super seven hot water / immersion tank in hall cupboard. See picture below.

The flat needs total refurb of bathroom ( and everything else !)
    The bathroom has a shower over the bath ; a number of the other flats have replaced bath with electric shower.

I assume with the present heating system that the night storage heaters heat the hot water in the tank? Or do I have to switch on the immersion tank ?We have always had gas ; all electric is completely new to us.

Possibly usually for a retirement flat, the flat will be unoccupied and empty for frequent weeks of the year . Possibly up to 4 months out of 12 but split over the year. It will be checked whilst we are away.

The hot water tank in a very useful storage cupboard takes up a lot of room and we would like to get rid of the if its a sensible options.

The storage heaters are 20 years old - should we replace ? - Dimplex Quantum ??

Thoughts are to replace the bath and over shower with electric shower - if there is sufficient water pressure ? Mira Azora

Thoughts are to install Quooker Combi or Grohe Red Instant boiling water tap in kitchen to facilitate all needs - yes very expensive item but again might help get rid of huge hot water tank ?

This would only leave sink in bathroom with no hot water which we could live with.

We are only in our early 60s and fit and very active; want to try and avoid an overheated environment. The block is very warm anyway.

Grateful for any advice please. Thank you

Hot Water tank.jpg

This is my fuse box ! looks like it has come from Noahs arc

Fuse box 1.jpg

Fuse box 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2018
  2. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Can the mod merge the two threads or delete one?

3. Tryinghard

Tryinghard New Member

I am so sorry for duplicating this can you delete thread in central heating forum and ill run with this one.

4. Tryinghard

Tryinghard New Member

Apologies as I have already confused two threads!
    Can I ask specifically for help with my bathroom renovation. Definitely looking at electric shower to replace bath and getting completely rid of big immersion tank in store cupboard.
    I am thinking of using undersink heaters to heat water in kitchen , this will get rid of need for very expensive Quooker tap ?
    Any advice please.

5. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

I would run with the other thread which has replies posted.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tryinghard

Tryinghard New Member

oh dear i suppose i better wait for one to be deleted and then add to it. I now understand the heating element of my post thanks to response and its really the bathroom i need advice on and hot water to sinks.

7. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Others will be along during the day and evening to advise you of the options at the moment I`m leaning towards thinking your ideas are going to be expensive to run.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tryinghard

Tryinghard New Member

Thank you for your response and hopefully more later - I have already learnt a lot from reading posts on this forum. I agree about expense, just trying to maximise space because its so small hence getting rid of immersion tank. Also wont be in the flat that much aesthetics quite important - wont be much washing of dishes etc hence I thought under counter heaters sounded good.

9. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

Contributing as a spark .. I think you need to discuss this all with a local spark or 2 .. as it maybe more complicated than you think.

Re the Dimplex Quantum storage heaters - these need a 24/7 supply and an economy 7 supply to work ...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tryinghard

Tryinghard New Member

Thank you re storage heaters, yes I have economy 7 at property but as I am just moving in its possible that I may change to standard tariff as away a lot of the time.
    I definitely would like to get rid of tank and just trying to get some initial advice before i get someone in. My thoughts get rid of tank. Electric shower off mains and under counter water heater for kitchen sink. Picture of tank below but no idea what type or how easy to remove. Thank you

Hot Water tank.jpg

11. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

All done

12. Tryinghard

Tryinghard New Member

sorry dont understand ?
    Ah ha you are the moderator and have removed the other post thank you

13. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Yes also moved your pics over hope that was ok

• Like Like x 1
  14. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

If you remove the hot tank, how are you going to have hot water in your bathroom sink ?

15. Tryinghard

Tryinghard New Member

possibly with under sink heater - ariston