Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie Advice - Installing shower pump under Elson Ruby indirect tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm looking for some advice on installing a shower pump in a flat with Elson twin storage tanks. The hot tank is an Elson Ruby indirect heated by a Baxi Solo HE. There's no shower at all at the moment as the shower would be above the level of the tank and it's not pumped. The hot tank is labelled as 115L, the cold is unlabelled but looks roughly the same size.

Should I be worried that the tanks aren't big enough, so I'll pump the tank dry? I did have someone round a while ago for something unrelated, and he said that I could install a pump direct on the hot and cold feeds on the tank which is pretty convenient for installation but makes it even more likely the tank will run dry, eg. if someone has a bath?

Anything else I should worry about?

Any advice really appreciated!

(Attached some pictures, unfortunately it's impossible to get all the pipes in one image)

hot-tank.jpg

piping-bottom.jpg

piping-top.jpg

Can’t put a pump on them

Best option is to change them for an unvented cylinder or a standard cylinder and cold tank if your mains pressure isn’t good enough

Hi ShaunCorbs, thanks for the response. Just so I can get my head around this - what would happen if I tried to pump it? (I won't, just curious).

Can I just check I understand your suggestion as well? As I understand it:

- Remove hot and cold tanks
- Add new unvented indirect cylinder and connect to existing boiler
- All cold taps would now run off mains supply
- Install mixer shower with feed from cylinder and mains supply

But first, I'd need to check that the mains supply pressure is high enough for a shower. If it isn't add a cold tank to supply the cylinder and to run the shower etc off of.

Last edited:
Would run out and could damage the pump and cylinder also no warranty on the pump as it’s not installed correctly

Reply to Newbie Advice - Installing shower pump under Elson Ruby indirect tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a fairly modern multifuel stove with a back boiler connected to a Elson Sapphire double feed indirect hot water tank and I need to drain down the system to move a radiator. Would anyone be able to offer any advice as to the correct drain down and refill procedure for this tank as...
Replies
Views
I have an Elson Sapphire double feed indirect hot water tank and I need to drain down the system to move some radiators. Would anyone be able to offer any advice as to the correct drain down and refill procedure for this tank? It is a self contained boxed and insulated unit with a single cold...
Replies
Views
I have a negative head twin impeller Stuart Turner pump feeding hot and cold to three showers, one bath, plus hot to three basin's from my gravity fed, loft cold water tank and airing cupboard hot water tank. Occasionally the pump operates for a couple of seconds without demand for water. More...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock