Search the forum,

Discuss New tool issue ................... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I got a makita 18v angle drill 2 weeks ago
Used it one and drilled about 20 holes and smoke started pouring out of it

Took it back to the shop today thinking they would give me a new one, but they said it has to be sent back to makita for a repair

Does that sound right?
I now dont have the drill until its fixed

Normal tool shop BS.

You will wait 2 weeks minimum for and answer on the drill you sent back, so the tool shop will expect you just to buy another one, if you're desperate.
You won't get a refund from them or any compassion, they will hide behind some warranty deal that excludes them and their ability to replace the drill ro refund the money you paid for the drill.

So for the next 2 odd weeks, do what you did in the past without the drill and don't hold any aspirations to having a new drill sent to you

Been there and done that.

Under a year it's there problem

Over a year it's makita

I would have thought you could have asked for a new replacement by law.
Two weeks use is not a reasonable time for the drill to have failed in.
Not fit for purpose.
I would ask the shop to get you a brand new replacement drill. It shouldn’t be a problem for them.

I got a makita 18v angle drill 2 weeks ago
Used it one and drilled about 20 holes and smoke started pouring out of it

Took it back to the shop today thinking they would give me a new one, but they said it has to be sent back to makita for a repair

Does that sound right?
I now dont have the drill until its fixed
Where did you purchase the drill and what type of it is it

a shop called bell tools

A bit of googling and the consumer rights acts means you can ask for a refund or replacement within 30 days

I suppose that since the tool is for your personal use as a self-employed person and not a limited company you are still considered a consumer and not a business?

To be honest it will get sent to Makita and they will replace every single part on it before giving you a brand new drill. I wouldn't be happy with that if my 2 week old drill had already been repaired. Demand a refund and buy another drill from another shop.

What was you drilling and with what bit. Those small angle drills are not suitable for constant drilling of large holes. It's rated at 25mm in wood, probably with a non threaded spade bit. The motors torque is tiny and in reality it's optimum hole size will be 10-15mm.

What was you drilling and with what bit. Those small angle drills are not suitable for constant drilling of large holes. It's rated at 25mm in wood, probably with a non threaded spade bit. The motors torque is tiny and in reality it's optimum hole size will be 10-15mm.
I was useing the Bosch threaded spade bits
Did about 20 holes

Looks great for pipe holes in joists and fiddly screwing in cabinets and stuff. I'm just such a tight wad with tools. Always got something else that seems to get my money first.

Reply to New tool issue ................... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
Hi all, can someone get to the bottom of this before I call a plumber, en suite shower started leaking from the mixer bar so took the shower off and capped it off for the time being, fast forward 3 months the same thing in the main bathroom, that one is leaking from the mixer bar, (no issues...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors for unclogging tho we never experience ours clogging up. Sure we had it clog up once and had it blown out with high pressure water from local plumber...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock