Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss New to the forum and boiler question in the New Member Introductions area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Howard Freeborn

Howard Freeborn New Member

Hi all. New to the forum and I thought I would post a question.
    I have a Potterton Performa 28. I have had it serviced by the same chap (Professional Plumber Gas safe Registered) every year and he is a friend as we are both gigging musicians.
    As someone that builds power amps for the cinema industry I have electrical engineering knowledge/qualifications. There are cases when my friend has identified the problem and told me the part to get and I have obtained the part and fitted and he then pops around checks and I give him a fee for checking and ensuring done correct. Always simple issues over the last few years, anything tricky he does.
    He is set to do a pressure flush on the system in October and at the same time a service. He is away abroad at the moment and not contactable... so whilst The Performa is switched only to the water setting the hot water tap even set to zero on the boiler will measure 60 degree plus and the water will be very hot... I was thinking it could be the High Limit Overheat Thermostat Stat 248079. The same problem occurs if switched to radiator and hot water setting.
    Any thoughts? cheers

2. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

you wont get an answer as you are not gas safe either call a gas safe engineer out or wait for your friend to get back. as you are not gas safe you are not competent to work on the appliance.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Howard Freeborn

Sorry to disagree with you Gasmk1 but there are instances that are stated on the GAS SAFE REGISTER that specifically state, and I quote,
    'What Gas work can be undertaken by other tradespersons'
    If the work required only involves the replacement of a non gas component such as a water circulating pump or central heating control valve, housed within the boilers casing, the work can be undertaken by another competent tradesperson eg plumber/electrician providing the work can be done without breaking a combustion seal...'
    As I am a qualified electrician and we have checked this with gas safe (see link) I am allowed to do certain jobs...
    https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/media/1449/who-can-legally-work-on-a-gas-appliance-factsheet.pdf

anyone have any ideas?

4. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

So the question is; Does removing the casing mean you are breaking a combustion seal on a Potterton Performa 28?

5. Howard Freeborn

No, check the link and it states what it is plus I and my plumber have checked on this, they call it decorative casing and it is not a combustion seal... the Gas safe have said to us that I can change parts on the board and a pump, which I have...

6. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I’m out.

7. Howard Freeborn

Not sure what that means?
    I am guessing by your thumbs up to the first reply to my question that I, a qualified electrical engineer, am not qualified to work on areas of the boiler even though the instances are cited on the Gas Safe website and I have checked with Gas safe in the past.
    Fair enough.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  8. Harvest Fields

A decorative cover is a front panel only. The internal panel you are not allowed to remove. The pump and pcb you mentioned are indeed behind the decorative panel. (So I believe) however as the stats are there for SAFETY you are not allowed to change them and need a qualified Gas Safe Engineer.

9. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Down Tiger, I have that link on cut & paste so no need to read it.
    My point was does it apply to your boiler and for the record I don`t do Potterton`s so I don`t know ok?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  10. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

To be frank, I think you're barking up the wrong tree with that overheat stat. Caveat that I am not a registered gas installer myself.

11. Ric2013

But they don't regulate the gas side so if the work does not involve 'disturbing any gas carrying component or disturbing a module that controls the combustion process', then we could argue that, from a gas point of view, the OP is fine. Whether he may fall foul of some other law is another matter.

12. Harvest Fields

As you see fit to keep on about this issue.

1- The key is in the name, A SAFETY DEVICE
    2- He also had to loosen the 2 x screws holding the outer case in place. He then lifted the outer case off the boiler. I wasn’t going to be picky about this as he hadn’t removed the inner case.

8A6CA395-8805-45CB-9FDB-808AEDD9D06F.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

but they do regulate the gas side the thermistor through the PCB modulates the gas valve and the overheat thermostat shuts of the boiler and as pointed out they are safety devices.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ric2013

The point about screws was an example, not an absolute. The critical point is whether the casing ' forms a part of the combustion circuit' or not. So a Main heat only boiler has a decorative casing from a gas point of view, but it is an electrical enclosure.

Back to the task in hand. My impression was that this is a zombie boiler and that it had a mechanical stat, not a thermister. But now, I see it isn't, so you are right that any temperature sensor is likely to be a gas control device.

But my original point stands, the OP doesn't understand what is wrong and is wasting his time IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Harvest Fields

I was also using the screws as an example that’s why I said it was not here or there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1