Search the forum,

Discuss New Stopcock Fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I am going to be replacing the toilet & sink in our under stairs WC. Whilst I'm there I want to tidy up the plumbing. I want to move the stopcock to a horizontal position (just the one, the other one will be removed). Is it ok to put fittings before the stopcock or should the stopcock be fitted directly to the incomer as per the photo?

Pipes.jpg

Hello Martin,

It’s preferable that no fittings are installed before the incoming stopcock, as there is a risk of fittings failing without having adequate means of isolation. Also there is a risk of what is deemed as “erroneous measurement”, which is basically theft from the water undertaker before any meter, as you have no meter you should be ok.

Attached guidance from Wras website.

151F887B-061D-4EA9-BC1D-77294E3B1074.jpeg

There is a meter in the pavement outside the house which also has a stopcock. Can I use this as a convenient isolation means in case the fittings fail before the stopcock, or does it have to be in the house?

@Svenedin Yes, this is the main stopcock to the property.

The house was built in 1971. We moved in about 8 weeks ago.

No fittings before the stop tap and looks like the old one doesn’t turn off hence the new one being installed

Also looks like black poly so it’s going to be fun to find one to fit

Your water meter and the stopcock belong to your service provider. They generally prefer to turn these on/off on your behalf so it may be worth a call. Most charge very little if anything for this service as it saves them a lot of hassle with snapped valves etc. From your point of view it may help you avoid a large repair bill if anything goes wrong.

You are typically responsible for any equipment downstream of your water meter. You can install fittings upstream of the valve entering your property however it’s not ideal should you need to turn the water off in an emergency.

OK thanks. I'll go with no fittings before the stopcock.

The incomer is 22mm. poly. I was wondering why it comes in at 22mm. then goes to 15mm. then back up to 22mm.? I am going to make a 22mm. float around to the sink then everything 15mm. off of the float. Does that sound ok?

Your water meter and the stopcock belong to your service provider. They generally prefer to turn these on/off on your behalf so it may be worth a call. Most charge very little if anything for this service as it saves them a lot of hassle with snapped valves etc. From your point of view it may help you avoid a large repair bill if anything goes wrong.

You are typically responsible for any equipment downstream of your water meter. You can install fittings upstream of the valve entering your property however it’s not ideal should you need to turn the water off in an emergency.
Had United Utilities to one of my places today, their stop was goosed , I turned it of and on no good then called their inspector he never was worried about me playing about with it at all, and his boys are rolling up tomorrow to put a new one in with an Atlas Box. Mind you the last time I met him I had a gusher and he remembered me after a cuppa. centralheatking

Had United Utilities to one of my places today, their stop was goosed , I turned it of and on no good then called their inspector he never was worried about me playing about with it at all, and his boys are rolling up tomorrow to put a new one in with an Atlas Box. Mind you the last time I met him I had a gusher and he remembered me after a cuppa. centralheatking

I don’t think they’d ever try and stop you especially if you’re in the trade and not a home owner. However if they shear a valve it’s their problem and not yours.

Reply to New Stopcock Fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock