Search the forum,

Discuss New radiator in loft causing problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
check valve not working or wrong way round, shut rad valves on loft rad, put hot water on only if no rads get hot then its check valve. if all rads still get hot then its 3 port valve. (not sure if you already done this). if it is check valve then maybe it has been manufactured incorrectly.

Thanks again.

I will try this tomorrow but from memory when loft rad shut off all is well. But will confirm tomorrow.

what/where is the check valve?

I think you would be best shutting rad valves in loft for now, if this prevents rads getting hot then as many have said, replace return pipework

The cylinder return should always be the last connection to the boiler, or you will get flow down the ch return.

You can, believe it or not, have the last tee connection on return anywhere on circuit before the boiler to be for radiators. No flow in rads will occur when hot water on if it is the ONLY tee off for rads return.
Heat can however, rise up the return pipe a bit if the pipe is rising from the tee towards rads, so pipe shouldn't be rising.

Last edited:
non return valve

thanks very much for all your valued help tonight. It has been very very helpful.

will report back tomorrow night when I've tried the check valve out etc.

thanks again

Steve

Steve you have played with pump ? Which way is your pump pumping ?

There is an arrow on the metal body of the pump pointing upwards if that answers your question?

When I had the 3 port valve changed by a different plumber he suggested it "may" be upside down but wasn't sure.

I did mention this to the plumber i am using now (who is Gas safe) and hes said it was ok?

Is there a way for me to determine which way its pumping?

Thanks

Steve

Arrow on pump indicates direction - should be pointing towards your 3 port valve. Pump should be on the centre branch and "A" (on the valve) goes to heating, and "B" go to hot water.
I can't believe that's piped incorrectly, but it's worth double checking!

Arrow on pump indicates direction - should be pointing towards your 3 port valve. Pump should be on the centre branch and "A" (on the valve) goes to heating, and "B" go to hot water.
I can't believe that's piped incorrectly, but it's worth double checking!

Arrow on pump body is pointing away from 3 port valve but I believe with some pumps you can rotate them on the body so maybe this is not necessarily right?if there is a way to confirm flow direction I will gladly check.

Looking at valve face on, CH is connected to left port and HW to right

Steve

Arrow on pump body is pointing away from 3 port valve but I believe with some pumps you can rotate them on the body so maybe this is not necessarily right?if there is a way to confirm flow direction I will gladly check.

Looking at valve face on, CH is connected to left port and HW to right

Steve
steve is time to admit it all :)lol

White valve in loft shut.

both valves on loft radiator shut off.

no hot water in ch.

as soon as I open Valves on loft rad, other rads heat up.

Any ideas?

Call a plumber to turn pump around :)

As I said in a previous comment, a few years ago when a plumber changed 3 port valve he mentioned it "might be upside down"

latest plumber is gas safe and I mentioned it to him but he confirms it is definitely not the wrong way round???

could the symptoms in my post above be caused by the pump being wrong way round?

if a garage says your brakes are ok but your car doesnt stop, then what do you do!

I fully accept what you are saying.

if I can confirm my problems described above are caused by a pump being backwards at least I can tell a plumber my problems before I call him.

Steve

This is a wind up! Too many conincidences...valve "MAY" be the wrong way round, pump is the wrong way round, but gas safe engineer says it's okay, non-return valve behaves as it's the wrong way round, but arrow suggests it's correct.
Get someone in who knows what they're doing; if you call a plumber and try telling him what needs to be done, you'll just confuse matters.
Pay a sensible rate, and let him/her sort it out!

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone on here for their help and advise it is much appreciated.

I will call the plumber who did the job and ask him to come and turn the pump round, failing which I'll draw a line under it and get a new plumber.

Thanks again.

Steve

Steve where are you ? List your area and some one professional will sort it all out for you !

check valve needs replacing or return pipework needs to be moved, this is your problem, nothing else. Pump does sound suspect, would recommend changing it round as although the heads can be swapped the propellers inside only go one way and the flow will only go one way. The only thing is that the boiler shouldn't fire up for more then a few minutes at a time if pump is wrong way round.

Some older boilers will work quite happily with the pump the wrong way round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New radiator in loft causing problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock