Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss New Radiator getting hot from hot water heating in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Morpheus Cane

Morpheus Cane New Member

Hi all,
    I had a new boiler fitted and while the plumber was here they fitted two new isolation valves in my airing cupboard so I could easily connect a new radiator in the extension I am building.
    Well I have fitted the radiator and all seemed fine until I realised that the radiator also gets warm when the hot water is heating up, I have a combi boiler with a unvented hot water tank in the airing cupboard.
    I have attached a photo and put arrows to the new valves.
    Hope someone can see a issue and if there is a easy fix or if it will cause issues if left. Thanks
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

no pic?

3. Morpheus Cane

Morpheus Cane New Member

Photobucket not showing pictures, will have to work out another way

4. Morpheus Cane

Morpheus Cane New Member

5. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Is it just the pic or is the return pipe to the new rad teed into the return pipe from the cylinder?? If so then there’s your problem. Piped wrong

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Morpheus Cane

Morpheus Cane New Member

The lower pipe is teed in to the tank return! Says primary coil on the tank lable The radiator does get hot as normal when heating is running but I must double check this.

7. Riley

Rule of thumb is that return from cylinder is the last tee before return goes back to the boiler. The rad is probably heating in reverse when the water is on the way back to the boiler. Was this done by a plumber??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. kris

kris Trusted Plumber GSR

Yeh Morpheus , it's piped wrong , I mean the radiator return pipe is teed into the return pipe but in the wrong place , where the automatic bypass valve is is just a loop under the floor to the main return pipe running up the wall in the pic with 2 white elbows behind the flow isolator , so if the rad had been teed in there then no risk of back flow ,,,

• Like Like x 1
  9. Morpheus Cane

Morpheus Cane New Member

It was done by the plumber who fitted the boiler

10. Riley

Get him back he has fubar’d

11. Morpheus Cane

Morpheus Cane New Member

Sounds like I need too, is it safe to run it like that or should I close the isolation valves?

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Riley

It’s safe just annoying. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  13. Morpheus Cane

Morpheus Cane New Member

So if I get the pipe marked with a green arrow and get it teed where the orange arrow is that would work correctly? IMG_20180311_002421.jpg

View attachment 33212

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  14. Riley

No that’s flow

15. Morpheus Cane

Morpheus Cane New Member

Sorry to keep going on I just want to make sure I know what pipe is wrong so when I get him back I know what I'm talking about
    So is it the green arrowed pipe that is wrong or was I right in the previous picture just replacing it in the wrong place?
    IMG_20180311_003722.jpg