Search the forum,

Discuss New problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tony1979

Hi, I've got another problem with my Ariston 23 MFFI Combi boiler. I know you'll say that it's no surprise but I'm coming here in the hope that you'll help me. Waking up this morning with no heating or hot water was grim.

So anyway, I initially had a pressure problem which was diagnosed as a faulty PRV. This was replaced and the boiler now retains pressure. The problem is, the boiler won't start!

When it is switched on, the boiler fan initiates for approx 3 seconds and the boiler shuts straight down. This continues a second time before the red LED comes on and you have to manually reset it.

I had someone come look at it and he initially thought it was the pump. He thought this because it wasn't spinning his small screwdriver when he tested it. He took the pump off and wired a plug directly onto it.... The pump worked fine. He then put it all back together and tried the boiler again. The fan started and the pump tried but then nothing... It shut down after 3 seconds. He tried again and the pump wouldn't even try this time.

He then disconnected the pump from the mains whilst it was inside the boiler and hard wired it again. It worked again! He tried starting the boiler up but same problem.

It appears that the pump is ok but it doesn't seem to want to get started. Everything considered.... Any ideas?

I went to the job to look at it on the Sunday after noon to survey for new boiler and told the op that he could have it repaired and it will last him longer , but then he refused to cover cost diagnostic which was to change PRV and I wished him good luck ! Oh well world is small and he is back for more help here and I wish he could have it sorted cos its cold out there , and he has kids !
I really hope you have it sorted Tony as its cold outside been out most day my self shopping and now I am at home relaxing in comfort in front of the tv ! And I am going to have a single malt ( my favourite drink )

Kind regards
Stan

Last edited:
I might just have a wee one myself Stan since i've got my holiday head on :smile:

I will be working tomorrow and Saturday , just few small jobs but can not say no to a Glennorange 12 years old the one she got me the other day :)
enjoy your drink Tamz :)

Switch was jammed... All fixed. No need for sarcasm though. I came here for friendly advice and initially received just that. Stan, you offered me a free install quote which I gratefully accepted. You took one look at the boiler and diagnosed a faulty PRV... It took you less than one minute. I was honest and told you that I was going to arrange for someone to come and look at it the day after (Alex) but you quoted me a fair price.... ÂŁ90 and I accepted because I was so grateful that you came out of your way.

i texted you to say thanks and you explained that you needed to add another ÂŁ50 to the price because you diagnosed the problem. All I said was I thought it was a bit much to add ÂŁ50 and politely declined your offer. I ended up buying the PRV for ÂŁ7 and getting it fitted for ÂŁ22. The bloke that came tonight unjammed the switch in 3 minutes and charged ÂŁ10.

I appreciated the offers but decided to go my own way. No hard feelings though....

Ciao

Well done , glad you have sorted it out and you can enjoy the long ester holiday !
Just to let you know THAT 1 min look is backed up with thousands of hours hard work and hundreds of hours study ! Most important is that you have got the heating on as cold days will be lasting till end of April !

Kind regards
Stan

Last edited:
so you are all happy now and having a drink!!! Wish I could but none for me tonight as I'm the on call lifeboat mechanic and single malts and engines dont mix!! To make it worse there aren't any numpties out there in the Bristol Channel requiring rescuing and TV tonight is useless.

:(

I just put the Ardbeg away as tomorrows holiday is cancelled due to dropping pressure on todays install. It never fails!!

I just put the Ardbeg away as tomorrows holiday is cancelled due to dropping pressure on todays install. It never fails!!
I am sure it will be air in the system as you did not have enough time to get it out

Don't think so Stan. It was at 1.9 bar when i left it at 12 oclock and had been running ok the night before. She came in at half 8 and the pressure was at 0.2 and the heating off. Told her to top it up and stop about 1.5 so she said it is 4.? is that enough:banghead:. Aye that will do, i'll come out in the morning.
Luckily it is only 5 miles away.

Enjoy yer Glenmorrangie

Don't think so Stan. It was at 1.9 bar when i left it at 12 oclock and had been running ok the night before. She came in at half 8 and the pressure was at 0.2 and the heating off. Told her to top it up and stop about 1.5 so she said it is 4.? is that enough:banghead:. Aye that will do, i'll come out in the morning.

Enjoy yer Glenmorrangie

1.i never tell customer how to top pressure up ( for that reason )
2. Funny you say to enjoy Glennorange ....... I always do Tamz
3. Lame dont worry pal your shift will end and you can have a bottle for your self ;) not sure if you like the good drink from Scotland !!!

Enjoy yer Glenmorrangie

Bet someone's been venting radiators. That drives me mad!

Switch was jammed... All fixed. No need for sarcasm though. I came here for friendly advice and initially received just that. Stan, you offered me a free install quote which I gratefully accepted. You took one look at the boiler and diagnosed a faulty PRV... It took you less than one minute. I was honest and told you that I was going to arrange for someone to come and look at it the day after (Alex) but you quoted me a fair price.... ÂŁ90 and I accepted because I was so grateful that you came out of your way.

i texted you to say thanks and you explained that you needed to add another ÂŁ50 to the price because you diagnosed the problem. All I said was I thought it was a bit much to add ÂŁ50 and politely declined your offer. I ended up buying the PRV for ÂŁ7 and getting it fitted for ÂŁ22. The bloke that came tonight unjammed the switch in 3 minutes and charged ÂŁ10.

I appreciated the offers but decided to go my own way. No hard feelings though....

Ciao
aint it funny how customers can buy things then say it only cost so much they forget you have to source it then pick it up from the suppliers or does it just miraculously appear in your van from the spare part fairy

Do you need to be gsr to do this??? You will need unvented tickets. Which they prob didn't have.

Lame plumber!!!!!! Can't believe your an on call life boat man!! After the jip you gave me about being an on call firefighter as well as a plumber?? How do you manage to do both jobs WELL???

ÂŁ22 ????????? where on earth does someone come up with ÂŁ22 for fitting? reach up and pot luck pick a number out of thin air????

Lame plumber!!!!!! Can't believe your an on call life boat man!! After the jip you gave me about being an on call firefighter as well as a plumber?? How do you manage to do both jobs WELL???

ones purely voluntary and is my hobby at the end of the day, but It does mean I lose a fair bit of work doing it. I dont do shift work like yourself to be able to do 2 jobs and I happpen to be a rather good heating engineer imvho as its taken quite a few years to learn the trade working full time at it. The lifeboat bit is relaxation and the reward of giving something back to the community and for nothing but someones elses thanks when you apppear over the horizon for them at 0100 in a ****ty sea. To do that does involve a lot of commitment and time but its worth it on the odd occassion you save a life which you might realise in your salaried job:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello The heating side of my Ariston Combi A23 has stopped working since a new 3 way valve has been installed. It's been a hugely reliable boiler up until now with regular servicing. When the heating is turned on the boiler ignites and looks to start up but then a few seconds in, knocking sounds...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I have Worcester combi boiler which has developed a 'fault' recently. When I switch the heating on, the fire in boiler starts for a second or two and then goes off. After another few seconds it starts again and then stays on. This happens around 8 out of 10 times. I had engineer having a...
Replies
Views
Andy Jackson
A
Hello, I have a ferroli falcon 2 boiler (yes it is pretty old). A few days ago the hot water started going hot and cold when running. Monitoring the boiler, the demand light works fine. When the water gets up to temperature every 10 seconds or so, the boiler stops for a fraction of a second...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, I have boiler Vaillant VUW SOE 242_2-3 R2 (it's TurboBlock Pro). Does somebody have service manual / maintenance PDF where can I get some additional informations? Here's my problem: I'm not sure at what bar should I pump the chaimber (pre-charge pressure at bars). When I turn on the hot...
Replies
Views
Revlyne
R
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock