Search the forum,

Discuss New Oil Boiler and Unvented cylinder cylinder required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chris1943

Hi Guys
Located NG22 Notts / Lincs border
Hopefully I am posting in the right section.
I'm in the market for a new A rated oil boiler to replace the knackered one I inherited recently during recent move and also want an unvented cylinder supplying and fixing with the old cylinder and header removing etc. I would love to go eco with ashp and solar etc but live in a conservation area which has basically stopped these plans.
Looking at getting the work done in the next month.I know how much the items cost so looking for a good price with no stupid quotes. Easy straight forward job for the experienced OFTEC tradesman out there. Message me and we can arrange a site visit.

Also looking for HETAS registerd installer for future multi fuel stove burner project.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi
Looking at a Grant vortex Pro or Eco floor standing utility oil boiler. Can you recommend?

You cant go wrong with the Grant, if you get a grant recommended installer to fit the boiler he can give you a 5 year warranty free of charge.

Personally I wouldn't recommend Grant, (don't tell them though as the rep is going to be plying us with free alcohol tomorrow night), I have a number of customers with Grants and they are like tea bags, everything leaks. A lot of it is just personal preference I find each to their own and there is no wrong or right answer. I prefer worcester bosch combi's and warmflow for heat only.

I take it your future stove project will be stand alone.

Hope you get sorted.

looked at getting the stove hooked up into the main system but it appears on face value to be a bit of a nightmare job. Got a lot of conflicting advice.I wanted to heat the dhw using an unvented cylinder due to low hot water pressure but understand the stoves cant work with this system?? Also wanted to connect to the rads but have real difficulty with routing the pipes. I would have liked to go ASHP or solar but cant get planning permission due to house being grade 2 listed and in a conservation area. Thought about GSHP but too expensive at this time. So resigned to the fact I need to improve the 20 year old oil boiler that last year used 1200 litres of juice in just 6 weeks?? Cant wait for winter!!!!!

Have you looked at a thermal store rather than the unvented cylinder, will allow connection of a stove and still give you mains pressure hot water.

You are the first engineer that I have heard that actually likes worcester, the oftec website technicians forum has not got a good thing to say about them when it comes to working on them,If you get lots of leaks on the grant boilers there is something drastically wrong somewhere. Basically there is not a bad boiler on the market when they are working.

You're definitely right about the forums and nopbody having a good word for worcester.
Just my preference.
Maybe because only been doing the oil for 2 1/2 years now and 80% of what I've seen is wb and thats my comfort zone. The other 20% is made up of old velaires, pandas, camrays (hate the danfoss diverter) and then grants and firebirds. The grants and firebirds I have come across in the main have been full of leaks, big time on the internal filling loops and then pumps, pump valves.
I will admit though the older wb are better to work on than the new condensers, but its what I'm familiar with, and yes there all as good as each other when working well.

I prefer the Grant and Firebird

WB are ok on the older boilers if hard to work on but their condensing boilers are a pain in the rear

Every boiler has their own particular faults, the filling loops are a real pain they leak for a past time but the parts can be obtained from the merchants for a reasonable price. I think the test of a new boiler is when it goes wrong can it be fixed easily and are the parts widely available at a reasonable cost, WB tend to use different parts for their boilers take the expansion vessel it is twice the price of everyone elses, diverter valves are usually honeywell but a slight modification to them makes them cost 125pds as opposed to 70pds. Also ease of servicing and dare I say it when it all goes sooty how easy is it to clean up. Oh and by the way which way does that stupid spring go.

Grant boilers are bullet proof. I've fitted lots and had no problems. Worcesters are a bit crap. Again I've fitted loads, mainly gas though. Had one recently go wrong twice in the the warranty period. I need a new manufacturer to reccomend to my clients as I'm sick of WB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Oil Boiler and Unvented cylinder cylinder required in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock