Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss New off grid boiler required Oil vs LPG??? in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor New Member

My current Potterton Statesman flowsure oil boiler has gone bang apparently needs a new solenoid and electrode and apparently a part is obsolete so rendering it buggered????
    If so do I go for a new Oil boiler circa £2000+ or change to LPG where the boilers are much cheaper but understand LPG is slightly dearer . Currently using about 2000 lts per year on oil
    Any comments/suggestions welcome

2. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

Well if you go to LPG the bulk storage tank will be installed for free, so you need to look how much a LPG boiler will cost to run, what will it be running, rads/hot water tank or will it be a combi

3. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Is there a reason you can't have a new burner?

4. richard978

richard978 Member

I would stick with the oil. LPG will get very expensive in the next 10 years. Oil is a bit dirty and smelly but it will work out cheaper.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Why do you say LPG will become very expensive?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. richard978

richard978 Member

Energy suppliers are about to hike the prices.

7. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Will the real Martin Lewis please stand up! :D

8. richard978

richard978 Member

Im currently working in that sector, I have some insight to what is going on. Sorry can't say which company .

There will be large increases over the next 12 months. Plus another supplier went bust and the losses will be spread across the other suppliers.

9. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

How experienced is your oil engineer?
    Pretty much any oil boiler can have a complete new burner for not too much money. That’s cost efficiency

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Your oil engineer is having your pants down. Old burners can have new parts rewired with no issue. Or at the very worst a new or reconditioned burner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. quality

quality Plumber GSR

Heat pump every time if your off grid gas

12. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor New Member

Its being done through insurance but they say its not cost effective to fix?????
    I'm trying to get hold of a new engineer as I write. I'm in Ayrshire

13. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

No reason given then?
    I would go for a new burner myself.

14. quality

quality Plumber GSR

I know a decent engineer in Cumbernauld if you get stuck

15. Rob Taylor

Rob Taylor New Member

Cheers I'll keep that in mind