Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss New house, unusual tap fitting in the Valves & Taps area at

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoops29

    Scoops29 New Member

    Hi guys,

    I've just moved into a new house and noticed the mixer tap in the kitchen is quite loose. I stuck my head under the sink and noticed it wasn't just a normal nut on it that could be tightened easily. I've attached a couple of pics of what I found. Any suggestions on how to tighten it??

    It looks like an Ikea kitchen but they couldn't help, nor could the guys in Wickes (neither places staff had seen anything like it??)

    Cheers guys!
    IMAG5173.jpg IMAG5190.jpg IMAG5186.jpg
  2. Gasmk1

    Gasmk1 GSR

    i have no idea but it doesnt look right it should be horseshoue shaped with a nut that tightens it up.

    the only thing i can think of is using some grips on the treaded bit and trying that to tighten
  3. snowhead

    snowhead Well-Known Member

    It looks like the "Nut and bar" are designed to be dropped in from above already on the threaded rod, like a cavity toggle fixing.

    However it would be impossible to tighten the nut whilst the flexis are on and impossible to get the flexis on after the tap was in.

    What does the tap look like above, I suspect they will be a screw to tighten it up from above, maybe under a small cap?

    The thread would have a slot or flats if it was designed to be tightened from below.

    Here's your answer;

    It's a B&Q easy fix tap and the top lifts off to reveal a screw, turn the water off and remove screw , then the whole tap top lifts off, leaving the flexis and fixing in the sink

    There's a thread on another forum, cant link to it but here's a pic of a tap with the fixing;

    aaBandq tap.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  4. rpm

    rpm Trusted Plumber

    There is a thread about this being asked before, think it does drop down from above as snowhead said and I seem to recall the screw from above was a left handed thread.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. steadyon

    steadyon Active Member

    It looks like an Ideal Standard "Top Fix". Comes with a very long allen key which drops down through the back of the tap and tightens up the left hand thread on the allen bolt which goes into the "toggle". Loosen sufficiently (two or three threads left connected) to turn the toggle vertical, and remove whole assembly through sink tap hole.

    If you only want to tighten it, get long allen key, drop through back of tap (uses the pop up operating lever hole on ones where fitted) turn anti-clockwise looking down on it until tight. If you haven't got the allen key, you should be able to get one from Ideal Standard if it is indeed one of their taps.
  6. Scoops29

    Scoops29 New Member

    Cheers guys, perfect answers, apologies if this topic had been brought up before. I hadn't a clue what to look for on here. Plumbing is not my forte.

Similar Threads - house unusual fitting Forum Date
Heating Bedrooms Issue across 2 floors in 3 storey house Central Heating Forum Yesterday at 8:22 PM
what size stove do i need for my house Plumbing Forum Jan 7, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.