Search the forum,

Discuss New house, unusual tap fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I've just moved into a new house and noticed the mixer tap in the kitchen is quite loose. I stuck my head under the sink and noticed it wasn't just a normal nut on it that could be tightened easily. I've attached a couple of pics of what I found. Any suggestions on how to tighten it??

It looks like an Ikea kitchen but they couldn't help, nor could the guys in Wickes (neither places staff had seen anything like it??)

Cheers guys!
IMAG5173.jpgIMAG5190.jpgIMAG5186.jpg

i have no idea but it doesnt look right it should be horseshoue shaped with a nut that tightens it up.

the only thing i can think of is using some grips on the treaded bit and trying that to tighten

It looks like the "Nut and bar" are designed to be dropped in from above already on the threaded rod, like a cavity toggle fixing.

However it would be impossible to tighten the nut whilst the flexis are on and impossible to get the flexis on after the tap was in.

What does the tap look like above, I suspect they will be a screw to tighten it up from above, maybe under a small cap?

The thread would have a slot or flats if it was designed to be tightened from below.

Here's your answer;

It's a B&Q easy fix tap and the top lifts off to reveal a screw, turn the water off and remove screw , then the whole tap top lifts off, leaving the flexis and fixing in the sink

There's a thread on another forum, cant link to it but here's a pic of a tap with the fixing;

aaBandq tap.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the "Nut and bar" are designed to be dropped in from above already on the threaded rod, like a cavity toggle fixing.

What does the tap look like above, I suspect they will be a screw to tighten it up from above, maybe under a small cap?

There is a thread about this being asked before, think it does drop down from above as snowhead said and I seem to recall the screw from above was a left handed thread.

It looks like an Ideal Standard "Top Fix". Comes with a very long allen key which drops down through the back of the tap and tightens up the left hand thread on the allen bolt which goes into the "toggle". Loosen sufficiently (two or three threads left connected) to turn the toggle vertical, and remove whole assembly through sink tap hole.

If you only want to tighten it, get long allen key, drop through back of tap (uses the pop up operating lever hole on ones where fitted) turn anti-clockwise looking down on it until tight. If you haven't got the allen key, you should be able to get one from Ideal Standard if it is indeed one of their taps.

Cheers guys, perfect answers, apologies if this topic had been brought up before. I hadn't a clue what to look for on here. Plumbing is not my forte.

Cheers
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New house, unusual tap fitting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock