Search the forum,

Discuss New combi boiler or fix current in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

So me and my partner bought our first house in May. The previous owners skimped out on every part of the house possible, bodge jobs galore. We have remedied the majority of them. The last area to look at is the combi boiler, it has given us a few problems since we moved in and now coming up to winter im sure it can only get worse.

Firstly we had a plumber round due to occasionally not getting hot water through the taps even though the boiler was kicking in when the taps were turned on. He told us it was an issue with the shower, so we got it replaced. It wasn't an issue with shower as the problem persisted.

So we got a different plumber round, he told us the boiler is pretty old(8-10 years) and air was being trapped in the system. So he gave it a service/changed some parts. It fixed our original issue, great!!!....or so we thought.

We now have an issue where a red fault LED will come up and the boiler wont work again until the boiler has been reset(turned off and back on again), it seem to happen every 2-3 days. Obviously something is not right with the boiler.

The boiler fitted was a Vokera Compact which from what I can tell is one of the cheapest boilers around and considering its 8ish years old I thinking we may start to get issues more regularly.

Is it worth trying to get it fixed? At this point I feel like we are just going to end up throwing money at it.

If we do get a new one fitted, should we go for a similar boiler? a modern vokera compact. My thinking is that it will be similar size with inlet/outlets in similar places so may be cheaper to get installed. Or do we go with a more expensive boiler, which maybe be more expensive to install as well.

Some points to consider, the boiler is located in the loft room and has plenty of space around it. I have a Tado Smart thermostat that I wanted to install but will now wait until the current issue are resolved. We also only plan to stay in this house roughly 5 years, due to us requiring something bigger in the future(currently expecting our second child)

Apologies for the wall of text, any help is much appreciated.

If you have some money get a new mid range boiler fitted.

Will be under warranty for the time you live at the house
Will look good when you come to sell

The advice above is sound take it,you will need a heating system flush/clean and a filter fitted. If the rads are old change those for modern ones this will further enhance your selling price etc. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I’d say change the Vokera Compact before things get worse.

As you stated the boiler is cheap the parts are very expensive.

Change it for a Baxi (mid range) but even better I’d say Intergas.

As rob said properly flushed cleaned out, Magna filter, and scale filter installed.

In this price range it’s got to be a vaillant for me , fitted the things for years , cannot remember a comeback over a vaillant , we were doing 3/4 a week

In this price range it’s got to be a vaillant for me , fitted the things for years , cannot remember a comeback over a vaillant , we were doing 3/4 a week
In the Baxi price range you would no longer get a high end Vaillant mate.

Not sure if you ha e looked at the prices lately but they are not mid range!

Ok some one on here was talking about a boiler which has vaillant guts but is their cheaper model, same insides cheaper box I cannot remember which one it was only 3 months ago Rob Foster
aka centralheatking

Thanks all for your responses. I think to reduce the chance of any further problems it will be worth replacing.

Am I right in thinking that mid range is around 800-900? can anyone link any examples that they would recommend?

Im just talking about the boiler itself, Iv got a several fitters coming round to give quotes and I want to get an idea of rough costs.
Price varies dep meant on supplier and engineer mate. I would get myself 2/3 quotes and go from there.

In Liverpool you can get mid range supplied and fitted inc. magnet filter for that price or even a bit less. If you want an ATAG I will have a word with uk importers whom I know, just tell me kw and if it’s combi or not. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

In Liverpool you can get mid range supplied and fitted inc. magnet filter for that price or even a bit less. If you want an ATAG I will have a word with uk importers whom I know, just tell me kw and if it’s combi or not. Rob Foster aka centralheatking
800-900 supplied and fitted?
I think you may be talking out of your bottom.

So me and my partner bought our first house in May. The previous owners skimped out on every part of the house possible, bodge jobs galore. We have remedied the majority of them. The last area to look at is the combi boiler, it has given us a few problems since we moved in and now coming up to winter im sure it can only get worse.

Firstly we had a plumber round due to occasionally not getting hot water through the taps even though the boiler was kicking in when the taps were turned on. He told us it was an issue with the shower, so we got it replaced. It wasn't an issue with shower as the problem persisted.

So we got a different plumber round, he told us the boiler is pretty old(8-10 years) and air was being trapped in the system. So he gave it a service/changed some parts. It fixed our original issue, great!!!..or so we thought.

We now have an issue where a red fault LED will come up and the boiler wont work again until the boiler has been reset(turned off and back on again), it seem to happen every 2-3 days. Obviously something is not right with the boiler.

The boiler fitted was a Vokera Compact which from what I can tell is one of the cheapest boilers around and considering its 8ish years old I thinking we may start to get issues more regularly.

Is it worth trying to get it fixed? At this point I feel like we are just going to end up throwing money at it.

If we do get a new one fitted, should we go for a similar boiler? a modern vokera compact. My thinking is that it will be similar size with inlet/outlets in similar places so may be cheaper to get installed. Or do we go with a more expensive boiler, which maybe be more expensive to install as well.

Some points to consider, the boiler is located in the loft room and has plenty of space around it. I have a Tado Smart thermostat that I wanted to install but will now wait until the current issue are resolved. We also only plan to stay in this house roughly 5 years, due to us requiring something bigger in the future(currently expecting our second child)

Apologies for the wall of text, any help is much appreciated.

Do not waste your money on the vokera compact ,they only make one ignition attempt before locking out and the heat exchanger although a clever space saving idea is terrible.

Reply to New combi boiler or fix current in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock