Search the forum,

Discuss New Career Skills level 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

graham1

Hi, I have a full time job, mortgage, kids and wife. I would like to get into plumbing while keeping my present job going. So i won't be able to give up my full time job so a college is no good at all. I am looking at the new career skills plumbing training. Anyone got any alternative ideas please?
Thanks.

You could go to evening college.

What job do you do now? Why do you want to retrain as a plumber? Even after qualifying there isn't a great demand for work at the moment so wages aren't brilliant.

Everything at our college is during the day. I'm an upholsterer at the moment, been here for 26 years and need a change.

neither does plumbing if your starting from scratch at present.

Afraid that's the cold truth. The building industry as a whole has taken a massive hit over the last few years. Thanks to Pimlico Plumbing and the publicity surrounding them the media thinks that the plumbing industry is made up of very rich men. Then the training providers have fed the rumour there's a shortage of plumbers. There isn't.

You remember the alleged IT jobs shortage before the year 2000? How there was a shortage of IT professionals and get in while the gettings good?

All turned out to be flannel.

Plumbing industry is being thrown exactly the same curve ball!

Hi Graham1, I am new to this forum and after reading a couple of threads similar to yours i felt i had to join.

NCS for me is a huge scam. I decided to join NCS because i couldn't join my local college at the time i wanted (had to wait 13 months). A lady from NCS came out to see me and said i could join at any time and that it would work around me and be completed within 6 months, which at the time sounded very appealing. This was a lie. At present i am fuming for a number of reasons (if you would like to know more please do message me to find out), but one in particular made me question to credibility of the company. I turned up for my week 3 assessment (fitting bathroom) and found out i couldn't start until Wednesday afternoon as there wasn't enough booths for the students. I didn't mind at first until it got to Thursday (under assessment by now) and me and three other students discovered there was no more 15mm copper or any lengths of waste pipe. We questioned a tutor saying what happens if there's no copper by the time the assessment is finished and he responded by saying 'how can we fail you? You'll pass don't worry'. Although we were re-assured that we weren't going to fail we all grew in temper knowing that we weren't learning or getting a fraction of what we paid for.

Think what you like from that but to me this company is a waste of time. For ÂŁ6500 for just a level 2 qualification isn't right and with the benefit of hindsight I would run a mile if this crowd came to my door again. But then again companies such as these prey on naivety (doesn't help i'm 22 with very little life experience). It pains me to read some people on here saying they have wife and kids and want to better themselves and this is right way to go but with the opinions of others on here too, stay clear of these companies and stick to the colleges.

I hope this helps

Thanks Iwalsh, this really helps, thanks for replying. I'm glad I didn't go for this now. I did see an advert from NCS advertising for a sales rep - 60k + car + fuel. No wonder they do their best to win you over.
College is a pain when you're trying to get around work time.
Thank again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Career Skills level 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock