Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss New builds zone valves on combi in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Ricardo Napoli

Ricardo Napoli New Member

Hi everyone, if anybody is out there that can give a little help would be great. I’m going from domestic plumbing into house bashing end of the month now I’ve been told the heating on new builds is zoned off even on combi boilers. Could anybody just shine some light on how to pipe this system up. The zone valves would be in a cupboard upstairs. Thanks.

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

As far as I am aware it is on above a certain square footage?

3. Ricardo Napoli

Hey thanks for the reply, I wouldn’t know as I haven’t started yet just I got speaking briefly to a guy about it and he said down stairs and upstairs now have to be zoned off. If you are right about the square footage how would this system be piped!?

4. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

I’ve done some small 2 bed houses recently( new builds) and initially wasn’t to sure myself, so I contacted the architect and he says now ‘All properties regardless of size must have upstairs/ downstairs zoned’

5. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

House size upto 150m2 only require trvs, house size over 150m2 require at least 2 heating zones

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

What don’t you understand about piping it?? Surely you’ve come across s plan arrangements doing domestic plumbing? It’s very similar

• Like Like x 1
  7. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

Second paragraph down, ‘every home must be divided into at least two zones’

0D75A47A-4458-4916-813A-D87BFE8D2440.png

8. Craig Watson

That's 2010 @bogrodder@bogrodder, they changed it in 2014

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Craig Watson

That was only boiler plus wasn't it?

11. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

not sure tbh - I'm a spark and I thought the changes included the controls and other bits !

12. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Do you have any qualifications as a heating engineer? The fact you don't seem to be familar with the current Building Regulations and are asking an internet forum such a general question means you are taking on a big risk by also trying to design the system yourself. Your contract from the developer should include a detailed specification of the work they want done, including a drawing of pipe sizes and runs, methods and materials statements, etc. You need to check this against current regs and query anything that doesn't seem right to you.

13. Ricardo Napoli

Hi thanks for the reply, I’ve been plumbing for 6 years with a company doing general plumbing underfloor heating and one off new builds just want to try out site work for something different. I haven’t had any drawings as yet as I haven’t started yet was just asking about to see what it’s like. Thanks

14. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

L
    if controlled by the same controller what’s the point of the zones?(future extensions maybe?)

15. Craig Watson

Same controller but 2 thermostats, so the heating came on upstairs and downstairs at the same time but controllable at 2 different temp settings

• Informative Informative x 2