Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler with option of ASHP later? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

Hoping for a bit of advice on how to upgrade my central heating.

I've currently got a conventional LPG boiler which I think must be about 20 years old (aprox age of house) which I'm planning on upgrading when our kitchen is done.

Where I get confused is what to replace it with. I would prefer a combi so I don't waste heated water but I don't know if a combi will be suitable as it will need to cope heating a 4 bed house. The house has hot water taps in the kitchen, downstairs toilet, upstairs bathroom and en-suite. It will also need to provide hot water on demand for two showers located upstairs.

Can a combi cope with this hot water demand? What if both showers are being used at the same time with the heating on?

As part of the upgrade I was going to replace all radiators in the house with larger oversized radiators in preparation for installing an ASHP sometime in the future (we don't want to use LPG if we can use an alternative).

Could a combi be used in conjunction with an ASHP or do they just not go together? Ideally the combi could use a small amount of LPG to provide hot water and the ASHP could take care of heating requirements.

Thanks!

The combi won't cope with multiple demands.
As for using an ASHP, that probably won't cope with the heating demands either.
But you could combine the ASHP with a boiler that will heat a storage cylinder that would give you adequate hot water and heating.

You need someone who knows what they are doing and also have a substantial budget for what you want

Thanks very much for your reply.

It sounds like I should be going for a system boiler if that gives me the option of 'bolting on' an ASHP sometime in the future. At least I can get the tanks removed from the attic.

I had a plumber come and fix a boiler breakdown recently who recommended I look into getting a combi so it's hard knowing who trust.

If anybody can recommend a good plumber in the Congleton area, that would be great!

Hybrid type of ASHP. It has Gas also. You really need to insulate your house everywhere and upsize all of your radiators. ASHP fun at a 48 degree flow temperature at best. It will have a cylinder reheat every 10 days to ward off bacteria

Last edited:

Reply to New boiler with option of ASHP later? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We're looking to update our existing central heating setup and wanted to get a few more opinions. We currently have an open vented conventional boiler with cold water expansion tank in attic and indirect vented hot water cylinder. Initially we thought we would just swap to a combi...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
PLUMBING ADVICE NEEDED Combi boiler in our house, downstairs water seems to be piping hot. Upstairs basin, bath and shower only ever seems to be lukewarm - so much so that no one even wants to bath as it never gets hot enough! Open to suggestions as to what it might be and if anyone can...
Replies
Views
Hi, been doing lots of research for a house we're about to move into and pulling my hair out on what to fit. The house: 1930s semi, 3 bed, 1 bath (separate shower + Bathtub) its essentially a shell (a rotted falling down shell) 😂 the whole house will be on electric only except gas for heating...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock