Search the forum,

Discuss New Boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideal logic plus. Perfect size gas inlet 15mm. ( needs to be able to supply correct rate of gas) so if it's longer than 2m in 15mm u may have problems!!!!

Thanks Ermintrude, I estimate that the gas meter to the boiler distance is approx about 7-8 metres. Also, as others said, probably gas pipes need upgrading upon a new boiler installation!

Love the ideal warranty and recommendations..:)

thanks dmheat! yes, probably the pipes need replacing upon new installation.

GSR didn't do the formalities as testing water pressure etc., he seems experienced and they are a reliable local company from what i know.

Starting to get IDEAL into my head now! Although the below has brought me back to square one of my search for a reliable boiler!

And may be wasted a £1 on which trial on boiler reviews and more confused than ever before. The topmost recommended brands are Worcester. Statistically they seem to be the highest ranking with Worcester brand ONLY in their best buys table.

Quoted from Which boiler review as below.
"Average customer score=80% based on responses from 4354 condensing gas boiler owners who have bought a boiler since April 2006.
Responses for each brand are: Alpha(87), Baxi (267), BG(178), GW(327), Ideal(195), Johnson&Starley(31), Main (45), Potterton (172), Rehema Avanta (32), Vaillant (847), Viessman(130), Vokera(55), Worcester(1844)"

If 1844 Worcester have consistently ranked their boiler to be good that must be something?! Or perhaps this is very biased as the number of responses are significantly larger for this brand. Also, avg score for this brand is 89% that includes whether they would recommend this boiler to others. :)

In addition, i am surprised that none here has recommended Worcester. Any reasons? Kindly share pls.

i dont want to annoy my GSR by saying i want another quote for Worcester as he may think i am fooling around. However, i genuinely want to see what the price difference would be. Not impressed with their 5 year guarantee though....if its the best of the best as recommended by Which, why are they not giving a longer guarantee?

That's a pathetically inaccurate survey and NO indication of boiler quality or reliability lol

lol, that's true :)

as it's based on boiler owner's review and if 1000+ have installed it and liked it, wouldn't it be a factor that you take into account?

wish there was a verified purchase/review for boilers :)

It's because Worcester actively chances feedback and there though nah!

we have an ideal logic combi in our fishing club house,it runs the hot water for a flat and the bar area,it also heats the flat and bar.
never missed a beat in the 3yrs it has been fitted and the bar is open an average 70 hrs a week

It's because Worcester actively chances feedback and there though nah!

Thanks, yes it seems quite obvious given the big difference in uptake of the survey!

Wondered what the GSR's on this forum think about Worcester brand from your personal experiences of installing/follow on compliants...this may probably a less biased opinion than a single brand promoted survey.

Worcester - good/bad - personal/professional experiences?

Reputation built on tv adverts, BG installing them, and they treat their platinum and diamond installers (companies that install X amount per year) very well, days out, power tools, etc etc

In the real world, plastic components and rubbish to work on. Not designed for maintenance....at all.

Their after sales is excellent however but warrantys aren't that long compared to others.

If you need a cupboard fit combi your choices are limited, my personal and professional recommendation would be an ideal logic+ or a baxi avanta but others may or may not agree. It's like asking a mechanic for a car recommendation, you'll rarely hear the same car twice lol

Ok lets upset the apple cart ! she likes Baxi, but concerned over boiler size, Think about the New Baxi Blue range more compact in size, not yet fitted one but looks good boiler with some very good extra fetcher's

I'd only fit the ecoblue advance, the ecoblue+ is the compact version with composite hydroblocks (as you might be able to tell,they're a pet hate of mine lol)

No no no no don't. Only Baxi you should ever consider is the HE duotec platinum range the rest are utter shister. Baxi know this and that's why even though they have launched 7 new boilers, rebranded remeha main they still selling HE boiler. When it's withdrawn we will not be fitting Baxi. We fit literally 100's a year.

Erms will you be fitting the logic when it goes all plastic it seems their all manufacturers are going this way

Yep logics again. They are same as Baxi HE in my mind. Plus side is the washing of hex and installer mode. Downside pressure gauge / location tick. Flue quality : cost . And the fact after installing a zillion still forget vertical flue adaptor when it's a vertical then horiz flue termination

Christ it's only a boiler. All the top brands are pretty good and installation matters more anyway.

Pick one, get it installed properly by a man that can speak properly; do something more interesting.

Yep logics again. They are same as Baxi HE in my mind. Plus side is the washing of hex and installer mode. Downside pressure gauge / location tick. Flue quality : cost . And the fact after installing a zillion still forget vertical flue adaptor when it's a vertical then horiz flue termination

Thanks all!
Sticking to Baxi platinum..if it cannot be fit without disturbing kitchen units too much, then it'll be another Baxi-poss Duo tech! If not, will consider Ideal as it offers same warranty and seems to have received some good comments here..

thanks for your input :) much appreciated..

Christ it's only a boiler. All the top brands are pretty good and installation matters more anyway.

Pick one, get it installed properly by a man that can speak properly; do something more interesting.

That is the problem with a lot of trades yes to them it is simple and not worth the hassle when you have a customer who wants to know the ins and outs of everything, but to him at that point it is the most important decission he has to make at that time and for many a substantial capital investment that they do not want to get wrong ?
When I was running the bilding firm I started to see a 100k job as small and a pain in the backside I think somewhere along the line we tend to forget that people are all different some needing more hand holding than others !

thanks for your opinion LPC! It's NOT JUST a boiler for me! My boiler broke completely in September and haven't had a drop of hot water/heating for 3 months now! Having an infant baby it's not an ideal situation but we had to wait until now to get a new one installed.

Therefore, investing some time into seeking expert opinions, researching boiler brand reputation from consumers themselves is key to my decision making process.

Like you say, all top brands does seem pretty good and installation counts. I am looking for that one extra element (expert opinion from people who install them on a daily basis) which will confirm/sway my short-list/selection like the forum has now done. This will mean that atleast i can have some peace of mind knowing that i have done my best given the knowledge.

Also, what makes you think this is not interesting for me especially when I love buying an item for my home/family that keeps us warm and cosy... ;-)

:)

That is the problem with a lot of trades yes to them it is simple and not worth the hassle when you have a customer who wants to know the ins and outs of everything, but to him at that point it is the most important decission he has to make at that time and for many a substantial capital investment that they do not want to get wrong ?
When I was running the bilding firm I started to see a 100k job as small and a pain in the backside I think somewhere along the line we tend to forget that people are all different some needing more hand holding than others !

Thanks Basildog, you nailed it! Yes, it's not a small decision for me given my current situation with no heating/hot water for over 3 months...and boilers are NOT cheap unless you are a GSR and can install it yourself as the relative cost of the boiler is cheaper than the installation itself!

To be honest I started as a complete novice to everything but saw how badly people were being treated by tradesmen and their attitudes at the time as a 19 year old .
Asked when I was stuck never been afraid to ask although you soon learn half the so called experts are numpties wearing blinkers !
Started getting asked to do building work and thought why the hell not ,used the right guys that were hungry and keen ,19 and driving a brand new Hilux and owning a new Mini excavator , out at 4.30 am digging graves before starting normal work ! all on the never never , Got a call one day to be at a customers house at 8.0clock in the morning for a bunch of stuck up landscape designers !
Anyway a £100 job turned into millions of pounds worth of work as the client loved my attitude and ability to think out side the box and yes plenty of sucking up too !

I am a bad man.

What i'm trying to say is I think possibly you're over-thinking this. This earlier post was what gave me that impression the most:

I spoke to both Vaillant and Baxi and found it took me 45 minutes to get to Vaillant/Glowworm and they didn't seem keen to answer my queries. Baxi on the other hand took less than 10 minutes and i called them about four times each time when i had a new query and they were amazingly helpful. This was one of the reasons in addition to the 10yr guarantee i felt swayed towards Baxi rather than Vaillant.

You rang Baxi 4 times?

I get it. You want the best boiler for your money. If I hadn't have had hot water/heating for 3 months and a baby, i'd have gotten 3 quotes as quickly as possible from word of mouth recommendations and taken recommendations from friends /family and respective installers, made a decision quickly and gotten heating & hot water in the property as fast as possible. It's not hard. Not ring Baxi 4 times etc with queries you could settle much more quickly by getting a GSR around to the house.

If this is the amount of research and time you're spending just on the boiler, you should be spending 5 times that researching your installer.

Lets hope you get it in by next xmas eh?

Can't believe no one's asked who's going to be maintaining it for you.

Whomever it is will have a preference for a particular manufacturer and will be trained on its ins and outs.

If you haven't already done so I would ask them for a quote, come back with their recommendations and we'll go from there.

No but that is why I am on wife number 3 either that or it is the marzipan on the cake as cannot stand the cake itself !

To be honest I started as a complete novice to everything but saw how badly people were being treated by tradesmen and their attitudes at the time as a 19 year old .
Asked when I was stuck never been afraid to ask although you soon learn half the so called experts are numpties wearing blinkers !
Started getting asked to do building work and thought why the hell not ,used the right guys that were hungry and keen ,19 and driving a brand new Hilux and owning a new Mini excavator , out at 4.30 am digging graves before starting normal work ! all on the never never , Got a call one day to be at a customers house at 8.0clock in the morning for a bunch of stuck up landscape designers !
Anyway a £100 job turned into millions of pounds worth of work as the client loved my attitude and ability to think out side the box and yes plenty of sucking up too !

Thanks Basildog,
Absolutely love your attitude and work ethic! Your hard work and determination seems to have paid off and its nice to hear inspiring life stories such as yours! I have had a fair share of climbing up the ladder too with my hard work. Started with almost nothing but determination to succeed by working hard and a smile on my face. I have finally got into a career i love. Still got a long way to go and people like you motivate many like myself..thanks for sharing!

Wish you the very best with everything :)

I am a bad man.

What i'm trying to say is I think possibly you're over-thinking this. This earlier post was what gave me that impression the most:

You rang Baxi 4 times?

I get it. You want the best boiler for your money. If I hadn't have had hot water/heating for 3 months and a baby, i'd have gotten 3 quotes as quickly as possible from word of mouth recommendations and taken recommendations from friends /family and respective installers, made a decision quickly and gotten heating & hot water in the property as fast as possible. It's not hard. Not ring Baxi 4 times etc with queries you could settle much more quickly by getting a GSR around to the house.

If this is the amount of research and time you're spending just on the boiler, you should be spending 5 times that researching your installer.

Lets hope you get it in by next xmas eh?

Lol..im sure you're not!

All well with your advice if you have about £2k in your bank account or if you're blessed with rich family and friends ;-)

Each time i spoke to Baxi was about a different matter - requesting for info not available on their website...each time i parted with them much more knowledgeable about their model, service, guarantee etc., so it was worth getting all that info straight from them rather than assuming things. If I had known all the questions i was to ask them beforehand it would have been a single call...but sometimes u come across something which you haven't known before..

Installer has also been researched. Bumped into an installer, got them to come and give a quote and they were not pushy...read about them on independent website on their customer feedback etc., so fingers crossed they'll be good.. otherwise will rant here with their names in few weeks time!

yes, installation fixed just in time for xmas! looking forward to a warm and cosy Christmas! yay!

Did you do this much research when picking the wife ? :love:

Of course I did.. as it's lifetime investment! You're very smart enough to have figured that out! ;-)

I know for sure now that my relationship is built on great foundation...im confident it'll be hassle free and less repairs will be required ;-0)

:)

Thanks everyone,
Yes will keep you updated on how the install goes next week!

Confirming with Baxi Platinum HEA28 today!

1) Can you please recommend a good/reliable/(reasonable) thermostat? timer controller for the Baxi please.

I currently have a honeywell thermostat (dial with temperature in degrees) wired into the hallway (away from the boiler). It still works i believe as i used to use it with my old Glowworm 80e. Although this thermostat was used to adjust the temperature i mostly used the integrated timer in the boiler itself for water temp, radiator temp, timer etc.,

However, i prefer not to touch the boiler ever if possible after the initial set up. I want to be able to control the timer set up from the hallway or elsewhere without needing to go to the boiler. I want to be able to do regular adjustments of in/out of the house thingy with the thermostat if possible...prefer a seven day one if its reasonable.

the closest i found was Baxi wireless 7 day programmable thermostat nearing £100. Any equivalent or better models - please advice.

2) Is it possible to use the same wires from my current thermostat to the new 7 day one as i prefer wired than wireless due to the boiler being in kitchen and thermostat wire being in hallway and any potential wireless issues.

3) Would you recommend going for the weather sensor? My worry is that if this gadget has an error i should be able to override it as i have read horror stories of sensor not working and then boiler relying on it to start!

Easiest is to set the timings in the integrated timer in the boiler and save my hard earned money by using the existing honeywell dialer which still works!

Please share your opinions.. :)

Thanks,

Why don`t you ask your installer what he finds the best after all he is the man fitting and maintaining it all.

Why don`t you ask your installer what he finds the best after all he is the man fitting and maintaining it all.
Thanks, yes will be asking him too but want to get opinions from other GSR's as they will be working with a wide range of models and may know of compatible models that will fit Baxi.

Sp25 let us know how the install goes.
Dear all,
Baxi Platinum HE28A was installed just in time for Christmas!

Thanks for all your advice, suggestions and recommendations of Boilers.

Have decided to go with Salus RT500 thermostat but got to be installed after the holidays.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!

Best wishes,

Dear all,
Baxi Platinum HE28A was installed just in time for Christmas!

Thanks for all your advice, suggestions and recommendations of Boilers.

Have decided to go with Salus RT500 thermostat but got to be installed after the holidays.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year!

Best wishes,

i doubt if the salus came top of a which poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock