Search the forum,

Discuss New bloke looking at courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gareth5009

Hi guys,

I am at present looking into retraining to become a Plumber and or Gas Engineer. I'm ex forces and in the Bristol area. I'm well aware and prepared to go down the Apprentice route, if that is still an option at 37 lol. Seriously though, that is a real thing I am prepared to consider, also the obvious college course. I've seen lots of different courses on off and many different qualifications thrown about. If anyone has some sound advice into what I need to get started, routes to take, things to avoid and from my perspective, my realistic employment possibilities. My worry is I choose a course which seem to go well and come finishing it, I do not have the required certs to gain work.

Cheers in advance lads

Gareth

hi and welcome to the forum! i have been on this forum for a while now and never given my advice to new starters coming into the industry before. Im self employed and currently toying with the idea of a trainee/apprentice/employee. If i were to look for an employee, im sorry to say, it wouldnt be someone who has completed a training course in 6 weeks. Ill be honest and tell you my apprenticeship was garbage and i have brought myself along over the years with nothing but determination to be the best i can be. The training courses offer you a false sense of hope , believing you will drop into some big money cushy job and live happily ever after.

My advice to you would be to save your cash and get down the local merchants, an independent one would be better, and ask around. Explain your story to the counter guys/gals and they will remember you and tell the lads. Where are you in the country? im in west yorks and know of a couple of lads looking for trainees at the minute

im not being negative btw im just trying to save you some time/money by not feeding this "become a plumber" machine.

Parkesy

Cheers for the response mate, really appreciated. I fully understand what your saying regarding the course route and the apprenticeship. I know a fair few lads who have done a course and whilst they have done well, I'm aware that the best option long term would possibly the apprenticeship, even though a bit of low wage for a while. I've spoken to a few people and for what I am told most companies won't be keen to take on a bloke in his 30s as an apprentice. This could be wrong and I hope so mate. I'm in the Bristol area so if you ever move down this neck of the woods then give us a bell lol
once again mate, nice one for the help and words and a big help bud.

Gareth

youre very welcome buddy, like i said its not a negative view at all, never let anyone stand in the way of what you want out of life, just more of a reality check ha

You seem like a top lad though, willing to learn, take my advice and find an independent merchants (not plumbcentre, hargreaves, city ) and talk to the counter staff. There will be an old bloke somewhere with knackard knees dying for some help

good luck buddy! and as for moving down your way .. ill stick to sunny yorkshire hha

parkesy

Hi Gareth

I started my level 3 gas course in September at my local college and its for 2 years. i have a gas engineer/plumber who i help out and gain experience with. I will still have loads to pick up when i finish as the training bays are worlds apart from whats out there.
Like you i am ex forces and is having to take the apprenticeship type approach, but this is way better than these fast track courses that are just designed to get you through your ACS.
Once you get used to giving free labour or working for tiny amounts its not to bad, you just have to focus on the light at the end of the tunnel.. lol

Good luck in what you choose.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New bloke looking at courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock