Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss New bathroom - deposit advice? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Mudchute

Mudchute New Member

Hi,I'm about to do a new bathroom. My plumber is a good guy I think but wants 50% up front and 50 at end. He wants me to use his trade account and not buy fittings direct, says he can get 40% discount on his preferred showroom and will charge me 30% on cost for these, pass on the difference. But showroom says they give trade get 25% max. I live in tower hamlets so lots of tradesmen to ask but as a single mum I think I am a soft touch! He seems lovely and has done some small jobs well but has only shown me photos of bathroom jobs he's done. Says he doesn't want to ask them for references. I want to trust him but not sure. What's the best advice?

2. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

i would get some more quotes ask friends and neighbours for recommendations

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

If your already doubting don't do it

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Mudchute

Mudchute New Member

I will thank you :)

5. Mudchute

Mudchute New Member

Yes - maybe that's best thanks

6. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

The other side of the coin is that as a small business one cannot afford to layout lots of cash on spec. By paying for all materials, and having them delivered to you, you have the assets. However, 30% is too much in this instance. 20% is more reasonable but that 20% NOT until job complete.
    Your instincts dont let you down...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mudchute

Mudchute New Member

Good advice ! If I buy them direct would that be better? Then he might not need such a large deposit (50per cent on the whole job) as less risk, I'm just paying for the install? I totally get he doesn't want to be out of pocket or take a risk on me either. He does seem to know his stuff. But feeling uneasy you are right as the discounts are confusing!

8. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

ask him to specify what he needs and make the order at his suppliers and you go in and pay for the materials and equipment and organise stage payment for the work 50% deposit is too much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mudchute

Mudchute New Member

Thanks this is such a great help! I will see what he says to that. If he's not keen I guess that answers my question on whether he's the right guy for me. Oh - what would be a reasonable deposit in percent? Does it depend on the job? Mine's a small house and a normal sized bathroom!!

10. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Top Contributor!!

Deposit wise it does depend on the job a bit, but I normally ask for 20-30% deposit, with the rest on completion if its less than 2 weeks work.

Do you have any friends/family who can recommend other tradesmen in your area that you could get quotes from? Also you mention he has done other jobs for you, do you mind saying what jobs he has done? What sets minor red flags off to me is that he's showing you pics of his jobs but refusing to get references from those clients for you. I know its not always practical to get references off old clients as they might have moved/changed number/busy... but you should be able to at least back up one of the jobs with a reference.

11. PETE 123

PETE 123 Active Member

Ask him if he could do an estimate and do more stage payments to spread it out.

12. Mudchute

Mudchute New Member

I can do that and definately makes sense to get other recommendations as another poster suggested . He's done some work on my central heating (not boiler) all to a very good standard. I know people who have used him very happily as a plumber and tiler but not for bathrooms. So maybe maybe this is a new thing for him? I might ask again for just one reference. This advice is a big help to me thank you

13. Mudchute

Mudchute New Member

That's a really good idea thank you :)

14. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

Why does he think he needs 50% up front . warning bells if you ask me ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Mudchute

Mudchute New Member

That's what I thought!! But I guess I need to give him a chance? I can ask for more staged payments like Pete123 said and especially if I purchase the fittings myself...? Definitely I need to ask some more plumbers for quotes ! :)