Discuss Neighbours Flue opinion needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

I'm looking for advise as I'm a little too close to this issue and need an impartial eye.

Last year my neighbours installed a new boiler with a flue that terminates vertically at roof level.

Initially I wasn't to concerned, but when it started to plume I noticed that it was blowing downwards towards my two rear bedroom windows rather than away.

When I spoke to my neighbour about this he said there was nothing that can be done unless he swapped to a horizontal flue and ran a diverter. I wasn't kean on this idea as that would mean the horizontal flue was cross the boundary and effectively be on my property. (he installed the boiler himself as he's a gas safe engineer)

He said he would look at it and get back to me, which he never did.

Now that it's winter again I can see how the gasses are reaching my windows again.

Could someone offer their advice on this installation? I've posted two links below, one leads to a gallery to the flue from one of my second story windows, the other leads to a video of it pluming (not as bad as it can get but was the best I could capture)

Flue1

Plume video

To clarify the extension you can see is my neighbours, the windows and everything to the 'left' of it is mine.

I want to make sure I'm not overreacting (or be told that I am lol) before I go to Gas Safe or the Environmental health about this as im concerned that if my windows are open that exhaust gasses from that flue could enter my property.

I'm sorry if this isn't the right forum to ask for this kinda advise but I thought I'd come direct to people in the know.

Looks to regs for distances.
Do you have your windows open much in winter.
Get a carbon monoxide detector for peace of mind.

Last edited:
Looks to be tall enough, 600mm? Bare in mind you can only see the flue gases now the temperature has dropped when in actual fact they have been produced all year round and when your windows are more likely to be open. I don't think you have much of a case tbh.

i would say that was ok / would be happy with

be more concerned about the missing tiles in the roof

You may have a plume(water vapour) blowing over, but I’ll pretty much guarantee you’ll have zero fumes coming in the window. As soon as the nasties leave the flue, theyre instantly diluted within a matter of inches to a safe level.

I would say it's ok these installs are always tricky and I agree that the roof is more of a worry . Kop

Bear in mind, what you are seeing is water vapour and it just looks worse when air temperatures are colder, the products of combustion are well diluted when they hit the air, all min measurements look good, but for your own piece of mind fit a CO alarm in the room to the left and the room you took the video, fit the detectors where the instructions tell you to, don't just set them on a sill or shelf, roughly 40 pounds will give you piece of mind, automatic alert if there is a problem and you can forget about it for 5 years until CO alarms need replaced.

Can certainly understand your concerns.

Although I am not a GSR engineer, I do understand physics. The water vapour is heavier than the carbon monoxide (CO) that naturally concerns you.

There is a myth that CO is heavier than air too, which might then obviously concern you. The fact is CO is lighter than air (slightly) the fact however that it is much warmer than the surrounding air as it leaves the flue means it will immediately rise, and vitally, disperse. Over the distance to your neighbours flue, it would need to be piped to within approx. 300mm to your open window, and the wind blowing horizontally towards your window, be of significant risk.

The human mind is however littered with unreasonable, unfathomable emotional responses so you have to deal with those yourselves. Personally I would, as advised and for simple peace of mind, install a CO detector appropriately in that room. Perhaps asking your neighbour if he could fit some kind of kit to extend it upwards (perhaps you pay for the kit itself?) would then reassure you too?

Can't say for sure if it applies but a new chimney must be at least 2.5m away from a roof measured horizontally or above the ridge. May not be the same for this though.

It’s a flue

Hello Riley,

From about early 2012 the `Gas Industry` decided to change the term `Flue` to `Chimney`.

I found this out at the time when I was attending a Gas Training & Assessment Centre / College to take the Combustion Analyser ACS.

I cannot remember exactly who / where or why that change was introduced but it was to be incorporated into all Gas Safety publications and Gas ACS Training & Assessment documents.

The Gas Tutors / ACS Invigilators were as irritated about this unnecessary change as were I and the other Gas Engineers who were attending the Training & Assessment Centre.

So We should all have been calling a Flue a `Chimney` for almost the last 7 Years !

Regards,

Chris

Hello Riley,

From about early 2012 the `Gas Industry` decided to change the term `Flue` to `Chimney` - I found this out at the time when I was attending a Gas Training & Assessment Centre / College to take the Combustion Analyser ACS.

I cannot remember exactly who / where or why that change was introduced but it was to be incorporated into all Gas Safety publications and Gas ACS Training & Assessment documents.

The Gas Tutors / ACS Invigilators were as irritated about this unnecessary change as were I and the other Gas Engineers who were attending the Training & Assessment Centre.

So We should all have been calling a Flue a `Chimney` for almost the last 7 Years !

Regards,

Chris

Eu that’s why

My point being it’s 600mm I’m fully aware of the terms and language used. Call it what you like it’s a vertical flue

Hi there,

I'm looking for advise as I'm a little too close to this issue and need an impartial eye.

Last year my neighbours installed a new boiler with a flue that terminates vertically at roof level.

Initially I wasn't to concerned, but when it started to plume I noticed that it was blowing downwards towards my two rear bedroom windows rather than away.

When I spoke to my neighbour about this he said there was nothing that can be done unless he swapped to a horizontal flue and ran a diverter. I wasn't kean on this idea as that would mean the horizontal flue was cross the boundary and effectively be on my property. (he installed the boiler himself as he's a gas safe engineer)

He said he would look at it and get back to me, which he never did.

Now that it's winter again I can see how the gasses are reaching my windows again.

Could someone offer their advice on this installation? I've posted two links below, one leads to a gallery to the flue from one of my second story windows, the other leads to a video of it pluming (not as bad as it can get but was the best I could capture)

Flue1

Plume video

To clarify the extension you can see is my neighbours, the windows and everything to the 'left' of it is mine.

I want to make sure I'm not overreacting (or be told that I am lol) before I go to Gas Safe or the Environmental health about this as im concerned that if my windows are open that exhaust gasses from that flue could enter my property.

I'm sorry if this isn't the right forum to ask for this kinda advise but I thought I'd come direct to people in the know.
Its more of a nuisance than anything else as the distance seems more than the minimum stated in the regs

My point being it’s 600mm I’m fully aware of the terms and language used.

Hello Riley,

Every person
reading your comment that I responded to would think that you were contradicting the previous posters description `a new chimney`.

If You knew the `new` / 7 year old terminology you should not be contradicting that by your comment - `its a flue`.

I was not trying to be pedantic to You personally with my message I was just introducing the `new` / 7 year old terminology to the Forum / Members.

Chris

Well you are a bit, Search results for: 'Vertical flue' | Trade Only Plumbing & Heating Supplies

The point remains it’s 600mm I’m not trying to be argumentative but it’s somantics

Riley,

I have no doubt about your Gas Safety knowledge and your experience in fitting Boiler Flues / `Chimneys`.

I wrote my message just to let Members who might not know about the ridiculous change in terminology from Flue to `Chimney` in early 2012.

Unless I was writing a Contract Specification or taking a Gas ACS Assessment I would still be using the term `Flue` as I have for almost the last 50 Years.

As Member Shaun wrote that change was instigated by more `interference` in UK terminology by the EU.

Chris

I’m not having a go fella but I think most people still know it as a vertical flue, and I’m just saying that for the avoidance of doubt, only because there are different clearances and rules etc for a traditional chimney

Last edited:
Hello All,

I apologise for my deleted message and attached Diagram - the clearances in the Scottish Diagram were for Solid Fuel Appliances.

Chris

Last edited:
I’m not having a go fella but I think most people still know it as a vertical flue, and I’m just saying that for the avoidance of doubt, only because there are different clearances and rules etc for a traditional chimney

Riley,

My entire reason for writing my original reply to You on here was because We ALL know the `newly termed` [8 year old] `Chimneys` as Flues.

And - it was absolutely ridiculous for the term `Chimney` to be introduced for Boiler Flues because as You pointed out there are different clearances and Regulations for actual `Chimneys`.

You might want to remove the `Like` that you gave my previous message - I had to delete it because the Scottish Building Standards Diagram and Clearances details that I posted were for Solid Fuel Appliances.

"Sorry to All".

Chris

Last edited:
I liked because of the differentiation mate. That was all

I liked because of the differentiation mate. That was all

Hello again Riley,

I mentioned about You removing the `Like` because I have deleted that message due to me mistakenly attaching a Diagram & Clearances chart for Solid Fuel Appliances.

Chris

So technically it's a flue if its oil and chimney if it's solid fuel or gas?
Always thought it was a chimney if it came out through the roof. Everyday is a school day i suppose.

(Sorry not read all comments)
You need to find out who the boiler manufacturer is ( Sorry I dont do many vertical flues , I dont know )
and find out the exact measurement from flue to window .

Thanks so much for your replies guys, it's reassuring to know that the flue is essentially safe gasses wise.

In your experiences is this kind of thing common? And were you in my place would you just live with it?

I don't want to go down an acrimonious route with the Council and cause a stir with the neighbours if this is something most folks just put up with (ill swallow my pride and get used to it)

I've read something in the past about discharge gasses not crossing a boundary and I'm concerned for any future sale of my house that the way the flue behaves may put off potential buyers.

Would there be anything my neighbour could do with this set up that would prevent the gasses blowing downwards towards the windows?

Thanks again for all your help this has been really helpful.

Not a thing. It’s more gasses at a nuisance level ie head height I think you’re worrying unnecessarily. What it’s going to boil down to is you proving that a to regs install is a nuisance

My point being it’s 600mm I’m fully aware of the terms and language used. Call it what you like it’s a vertical flue

Hell yeah, it’s a vertical flue. Now doesn’t a vertical chimney sound flipping stupid

Would there be anything my neighbour could do with this set up that would prevent the gasses blowing downwards towards the windows?

Unless he has the weather fairy's direct line, or God's, then there is nothing he can do. You however could always shut the window.

Ignore it. You do not have a problem. However you will have if you obsess about it. ;)

Hell yeah, it’s a vertical flue. Now doesn’t a vertical chimney sound flipping stupid

Hello bogrodder,

The most stupid thing about the term `Flue` being changed to `Chimney` is the fact that ALL `Flues` are supposed to be called a `Chimney`.

Even a horizontal Fanned Flue through a wall is also supposed to be called a `Chimney` !

When the other Gas Engineers and I were told this at the Training & Assessment Centre / College in 2012 there was uproar !

Chris

Hello bogrodder,

The most stupid thing about the term `Flue` being changed to `Chimney` is the fact that ALL `Flues` are supposed to be called a `Chimney`.

Even a horizontal Fanned Flue through a wall is also supposed to be called a `Chimney` !

When the other Gas Engineers and I were told this at the Training & Assessment Centre / College in 2012 there was uproar !

Chris

Regardless of what has been introduced, they will always be referred to as flues and will until fossil fuels are given the axe, probably around 2035

It’s industry standard and we’re all set in ours ways

Hello again bogrodder,

As I mentioned in a previous message I have been calling a Flue a Flue for nearly 50 Years and unless I have to use the term `Chimney` in a Contract Specification or during a Gas ACS Assessment I will still use the term `Flue`.

Even then the fact that this `EU forced change` is so ridiculous and would not only be known to so few people but also be very confusing to readers that I would have to write something like `Boiler Chimney` [Flue].

Chris

Reply to Neighbours Flue opinion needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back