Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Neighbours boiler leaking onto my property in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Wendy Swallow

Wendy Swallow New Member

my neighbour has an extension right up to my boundary and they have a pipe coming out of the wall behind my shed in my property and it keeps leaking, I’m worried my shed floor is going to be ruined and the fence post to my gate
    Told them a few times and he says he adjusts the boiler but it still keeps leaking
    What rights do I have

78ACAC4D-9E51-43C5-96C8-81204836EC6A.jpeg

2. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Trusted Plumber GSR

The photo is not much to go on.
    From what I can see, it looks like a 15mm Pressure relief?

Is it over your property?

3. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Warn him you are going to cap it off if he doesn’t sort it , whatever the fault is he should get it repaired , end of !!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Your best option would be to take as many photos as you can and go to citizens advice. I don't think you would be unreasonable to tell your neighbour that you will be seaking further advice/legal help unless he fixes the issue quickly or reroutes the pipe so no further damage is caused to your property

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  5. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Where’s the flue of their boiler??

6. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Unvented discharge?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Be a bit undersized if it were. Only begs the question what the state of the install is like if it is

8. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Tell him you intend to cut it flush and bung it.
    Shouldn't discharge on your property.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CBW1982

CBW1982 GSR Top Contributor!!

Good evening,
    I don’t know what your rights are, but this is what I am suggesting:

Edit: ask neighbour to sort properly, and if no joy try the following.

Contact CAB as suggested by @Craig Watson@Craig Watson. They should be able to clarify the legal side of things. If your not comfortable with that you could always involve the local water undertaker - water regulations are there to prevent the waste and misuse of water and let them enforce the regulations. I think they have 30 days to sort it out from the first report if it, I would advise your neighbour of this if you get on well with them.

The pipe if it’s part of a safety discharge then unless stated it should be terminated back to the wall - which doesn’t help you. As a temporary measure it might be worth routing the pipe at a small expense to you rather then it ruin your shed and gate post.

Edit: are they private homeowner or rented?

Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  10. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

Aww, its probably a discharging
    prv. All I would do is go round
    make friends and explain there
    boiler is stuffed, you may find they are tennants whom are not bothered. Then mutually
    get it sorted ..chking
    My wife is a barrister ..i hear really bad tales about going to
    any court...sort it out between you...best option
    chking

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

Could you attach some pipe to it and route it back to his side of the boundary?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Trusted Plumber GSR

If it
    Very reasonable!

13. Wendy Swallow

Wendy Swallow New Member

It is behind the shed on my sisters property, they built an extension up to about 10” of my shed and the pipe is from their extension and is leaking onto my side

14. Wendy Swallow

Wendy Swallow New Member

Been round he’s turned a knob on his boiler and it seems to have stopped for now

15. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

There isn't really a user controlled knob that would stop a prv passing. It's probably stopped due to the warm weather and your neighbours heating not been used.

• Like Like x 1